What are you generating?

Comments

• CaptTurbo
    CaptTurbo Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: What are you generating?

It looks like I will have another 60+ kwh day. 24.5 kwh so far at 12:11 pm. My average use for last year was 48.5 kwh per day. This system has only been up and running for 11 days but it looks like it will generate more then I need. At least in April it does. It will be interesting to see what it does in the different seasons.
  • nvyseal
    nvyseal Solar Expert Posts: 108 ✭✭✭✭
    CaptTurbo wrote: »
    It looks like I will have another 60+ kwh day. 24.5 kwh so far at 12:11 pm. My average use for last year was 48.5 kwh per day. This system has only been up and running for 11 days but it looks like it will generate more then I need. At least in April it does. It will be interesting to see what it does in the different seasons.

Dude, you're a rockstar!
  • CaptTurbo

I don't know anout that LOL but I am pleased with this system. She gave up the ghost at about 7:45 pm after having produced 61.22 KWh today. I think it was a good result because it was partly cloudy early today and then the sky was hazy the rest of the day and the heat is on finally here in SW Florida. 90 degrees today and looking for 91 tomorrow.
  • topper
    topper Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭

Mikeo, This is the reason why I am trying to get into alternate energy in the first place. Household secuity, heat, light, food. And in the end , if it all could keep some $$ in my pocket after the payout, then it's all worth it.
    This thread is awsom. Nice to see some real world production numbers.
    Gives nubies like myself something to work with instead of hypothetical figures based on fictional guestimations. I reside on the 49th+/-.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Generated 998 kWh during the month of April with a high of 39.X a few days ago. I've got 30 200W panels (6.0kW) hooked up to a PVP4800 inverter. 20 panels facing due West at 23 degrees and 10 facing East at 23 degrees (I'll gladly explain why I did this if anyone is interested). My system is barely maxing out on average days and looking at my charts on my monitoring system shows that I'm probably losing ~1-2 kWhs per day, more on a few of the very windy and relatively cold days we have had over the past few weeks.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

I can't wait to be able to contribute to this thread! Right now my 10kw feed in tariff (80.2cents/kwh in Ontario) is 64 threaded rod stubs embedded in the concrete pad awaiting racking, panels and inverters. Only a few weeks away from production. I thought that in December too.

You can't use any of the 10kw power, but then why would you at 80 cents...and I can't net meter my 2kw solar 1kw wind domestic power either, only 10 kw per connection point. So back on the grid, only not really.

Ralph
  • cdherman
    cdherman Solar Expert Posts: 32 ✭✭

Kinda wierd here. First day we had the system attached to computer so I could monitor it, it was the 29th of April, which put the suns max elevation at 65 deg and my system is at 26 deg. Pretty close to 90 deg at the azimuth.

It was a clear day. 39 210w Kyocera panels feeding a Fronius IG 7.5 invertor.

Peaked at about 7.4kw and got 55kwh for the day. Major rush!!!!!

Every day since then has been partly cloudy and the curves have looked like baracuda teeth. Best day was today with 40kwh.

Waaaaayyyyy to early to tell, but my rough calculations (after fed credit, local rebate etc) is that I am going to return about 3% on my money. That is with the current 8 cent cost of a kwh. If it goes up, then my return gets better....

Not really my reason to install the system, but 3% after taxes is not so bad. Of course, that is not figuring in the depreciation of the system. If I do that, its no return at all (25 year depreciation). So really, I am just waiting for the cost per kwh to rise and then my system will finally make sense in a pure economic way.

In any case, 55 kwh on day one looked pretty....
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a super solar day here today, generating 5000+ watts before 9AM MST.

Last few days have been 61-62 Kwh.
  • solar_dave

Good News, 20% more panels getting installed tomorrow. If linear then the totals should climbed to like 75 KWH a day. That should make up for the huge summer loads from 2 AC units.
  • CaptTurbo

Looks like we have a new "Dude you rock"
    I'm leaning towards installing a solar hot water system so I might get back into the competition. LOL
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Good News, 20% more panels getting installed tomorrow. If linear then the totals should climbed to like 75 KWH a day. That should make up for the huge summer loads from 2 AC units.
  • solar_dave
    Looks like we have a new "Dude you rock"
    I'm leaning towards installing a solar hot water system so I might get back into the competition. LOL

Got quotes for that as well, just waiting to see how much roof real estate is left after the PV install.
  • CaptTurbo

As much as I want to do the solar hot water thing, I think I should wait a year to see if they might be of any need. It looks like I'm over producing by about 18% at this point so if this is the case throughout the year it wouldn't make sense. But ... I'm kinda like Tim Taylor from Home Improvement. More power!!!! LOL.

[removed a bit of political commentary. Trying to keep politics to a low boil--sorry. -Bill]

Oh and PS: I have lots of "roof Realestate" left. Baaahahahahaaa!!!!
  • solar_dave
    As much as I want to do the solar hot water thing, I think I should wait a year to see if they might be of any need. It looks like I'm over producing by about 18% at this point so if this is the case throughout the year it wouldn't make sense. But ... I'm kinda like Tim Taylor from Home Improvement. More power!!!! LOL.

I would like to compliment your Govenor in AZ. I'm trying to petition my own state to do the same thing in regard to the illegal aliens. Keep the faith.

Oh and PS: I have lots of "roof Realestate" left. Baaahahahahaaa!!!!

I have a new garage/workshop/office building in the works here. That would give me an additional 300 sq ft for more Tim Taylor POWER!

P.S. the wife and I both fully support the tactics taken by AZ
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭

We're doing 18-19 hours on a good day with the system listed below. Got our first negative electric bill this month.....they only owe us 26 cents, but it's the best feeling 26 cents I ever had....ahahhaaaaaa. They are really gonna cry when I get the kitchen remodel done, dump the electric stove for propane, and get a new fridge that cuts out another 50kwhrs/month.

THEN it's on to another array !
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    DesertDave wrote: »
    Generated 998 kWh during the month of April with a high of 39.X a few days ago. I've got 30 200W panels (6.0kW) hooked up to a PVP4800 inverter. 20 panels facing due West at 23 degrees and 10 facing East at 23 degrees (I'll gladly explain why I did this if anyone is interested).

OK, I would be interested in why you did this setup. I'm wondering if you could get by with one inverter with 30 panels instead of needing two inverters if all 30 panels faced due south because it would then be generating too much?
  • sub3marathonman

First, it is great to hear that the system is working so well.

I'm thinking about the "hybrid" water heaters, which would have an additional benefit of cooling the garage. They can go to incredible efficiencies when the air temperature is very hot. And if you're going to do something, it is best to do it soon while the Federal rebate is in effect.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Sub, if you still have an electric bill, than the GE unit looks like a great choice. When EV's can actually be bought, I intend to get one and charge at home which will then use up my surplus and probably get the GE unit myself
  • solar_dave
    Sub, if you still have an electric bill, than the GE unit looks like a great choice. When EV's can actually be bought, I intend to get one and charge at home which will then use up my surplus and probably get the GE unit myself

We are waiting on a Volt, Been a GM guy forever and have had super good experience with the last 3 Chevrolet vehicles we have owned.

This is the major reason for adding the additional panels, to Charge the VOLT, Driving fossil fuel free for 90% of or miles makes perfect sense to us, especially since the Utility is give rebates and the Feds a nice 30% tax credit.
  • CaptTurbo

Thanks for the tip Sub3. Another member and solar friend told me the same thing so it certainly will be on my list of considerations.

I really like the idea of having a unit that will cool my garage. My garage has always been a fairly cool place until I had the solar system installed. I think the inverters are heating it now. I have two very special cars in there and cooler would definitely be better for them as they "sleep" :roll:
    First, it is great to hear that the system is working so well.

I'm thinking about the "hybrid" water heaters, which would have an additional benefit of cooling the garage. They can go to incredible efficiencies when the air temperature is very hot. And if you're going to do something, it is best to do it soon while the Federal rebate is in effect.
  • sub3marathonman

Thanks for the encouragement Solar Guppy! Unfortunately, I only have 4.7kw PV, so we've only eliminated about 45% of our electric bill.

As for the hybrid water heater, does anybody know somebody who'd like a very gently used regular water heater that consumes massive amounts of electricity??
  • Hoonose
    Hoonose Registered Users Posts: 16

Making about 60KWh a day here in Havasu with my 10KW system. Seems to have peaked in April around 63KWh with cooler temps, and finally had a negative bill!
  • solar_dave

Hoonose your pretty close!

Added in the additional panels late yesterday. Electrician here for about 4 hours cursing the first guy. That resulted in a complete rewire of the attic fuse/combiner box with breaker type devices with Arc Protection. Previously they had a fuse block with AC type slow blow fuses. Now running 4 strings of 9 on each inverter.

Relatively clear morning here 7:30 AM producing 2200+ watts the ramp up looks nice and steep as well.
  • solar_dave

Nice the new panels are engaged inot the system on Saturday. 75.8 kWh today with a net roll back of the meter 45.3 kWh

I think the utility is not getting a dime of on peak this year.
  • nvyseal

Geez Solar Dave,

I'd love to see an updated pic. You must look like a solar farm
  • CaptTurbo

I thought this was going to be a great day for me. 25 kwh by noon. Then those nasty clouds came in and sat on us choking off the power just when we got up to speed. 55.9 kwh for the day. The horrors :cry:
  • solar_dave
    nvyseal wrote: »
    Geez Solar Dave,

I'd love to see an updated pic. You must look like a solar farm

Not much different. Looking at the TED it may be a bit of overkill but only my July and August bills will tell the tale.

On the second photo you can just see the 2 honking AC units needed here (5 1/2 tons).
    Between that and 5-6 hour a day of a 2 HP pool pump ....
  • nvyseal

My billing summary for May. I also noted that when you generate over your baseline (tier 1) and go into tier 2 (over baseline) your credits are still at the tier 1 rates. Hopefully May to July will sunny. I need the credits to get me through the summer.
  • TickTock
    TickTock Registered Users Posts: 16

Been hovering around 70kWh this month.
    may.jpg 26.9K
  • solar_dave

Another stellar month of grid tie! We did use a fair amount of AC last month as well.

Cost of net electricity
    Basic service charge $8.09
    Delivery service charge $0.00
    Environmental benefits surcharge $0.00
    Federal environmental improvement surcharge $0.00
    Competition rules compliance charge $0.00
    System benefits charge $0.00
    Power supply adjustment* $0.00
    Metering* $6.32
    Meter reading* $2.11
    Billing* $2.38
    Generation of electricity on-peak* $0.00
    Generation of electricity off-peak* $2.85
    Transmission and ancillary services* $0.00
    Transmission cost adjustment* $0.00
    Cost of electricity you used $21.75
    Taxes and fees
    Regulatory assessment $0.06
    State sales tax $1.47
    County sales tax $0.16
    City sales tax $0.49
    Franchise fee $0.44
    Cost of electricity with taxes and fees $24.37
    Total charges for electricity services $24.37

Net electricity
    On-peak electricity from APS, in kWh 298
    Minus on-peak electricity credited, in kWh 862
    Minus last month's on-peak kWh credit 2271
    Net on-peak electricity, in kWh -2835
    Off-peak electricity from APS, in kWh 599
    Minus off-peak electricity credited, in kWh 472
    Minus last month's off-peak kWh credit 0
    Net off-peak electricity, in kWh 127

on graph picture
    Red = Load
    Blue = Net
    Green = Solar
  • Jerry
    Jerry Registered Users Posts: 19
    TickTock wrote: »
    Been hovering around 70kWh this month.

How is experience with Fronius 10kW , is it generating good?

Why not to go with 2 5kW inverters?