5KW test site near Lake Superior

Powers
Powers Solar Expert Posts: 36
NWP is looking for someone around the Lake Superior lake shore for testing our new
5K turbine.
Duluth Mn and up the northern shore is our first choice for location.
We would like a tower that is already installed. We will pay to have our unit installed for the test.
Please call or email us.

Thank you,

Charles Spoto

NorthWind Power Inc can be reached by phone, fax, and e-mail.

Address 4702 State Route 176, Unit F
Crystal Lake, Illinois 60014
E-mail sts@mc.net
www.northwindturbines.com
Toll-Free Number (800) 838-1472
Fax Number (815) 568-8478
24-Hour Cell / Int Charles Spoto (815) 482-0224

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 5KW test site near Lake Superior

hmmm. you have my curiosity. why along the lake superior shore and why near duluth?:confused:
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

Let me know when they wish to test in my backyard. Wilmington, Illinois. I've got a spare acre or two....
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • Powers

It is an area we like to visit.
    Also, they have wind that can sink ships.
  • WisJim
    WisJim Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

The wind maps show that the north shore and NE Minnesota have the poorest wind sites of the state. http://www.state.mn.us/portal/mn/jsp/content.do?agency=Commerce&action=content&contenttype=EDITORIAL&contentkey=80_Meter_Wind_Speed_013106115153
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Powers wrote: »
    ... they have wind that can sink ships.

But usually only when "the storms of November come early!" -G. Lightfoot
    WisJim wrote: »
    The wind maps show that the north shore and NE Minnesota have the poorest wind sites of the state.

I've never seen any windmills on the north shore. I have seen huge wind farms in the southwest of my state. That is Worthington to Sioux Falls SD. Praire land. The Great Plains.

AIU, a wind turbine must be braked (essentially taken off line and feathered) during very high wind events. Otherwise, they blow up. Mecahnically and electrically.

Imagine the energy that could be harvested from a tornado! Or lightning, for that matter.

Man has yet to develop the materials that can withstand, much less harvest, the unbridled fury of nature.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

There is an attempt to do some large scale testing near Thunder Bay ON on the northshore of Superior, in the Norwester Mountain range. (If they can overcome local nimbyism!)

There are several other test sites under consideration along the Northshore between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie.

Tony
  • Powers

I was told to look at that north shore location by; http://northwindmeasurement.com/
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

Really the wind maps are not too useful. Where İ am at there is good wind nearby but due to topography (on a hillside) we get much less. A commercial wind farm is a few kilometers away and top windsurfing areas is 30 km away.

The estimate to set up a test apparatus seems a bit wild - you could do it much cheaper.

Unless the vendor guarantees annual output there is not much sense asking them.
  • WisJim
    WisJim Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

Wind maps just show what the available wind is. The terrain and land surface, among other things, help determine how high you have to make your tower to get the wind turbine up in the "good" wind.