Sanyo mini split AC (inverter/variable speed)

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Sanyo mini split AC (inverter/variable speed)
    solarvic wrote: »
    Dave, I can,t tell you about how low a power setting the harborpoint will run at. It has a sleep mode that is suposed to run slower and quieter. I paid 1199.00 for an 18,000 btu with a 20 seer rating with the lines and wireing included. It qualifys for the 30% tax break so My thinking it has to be preety eficient or it wouldn,t qualify. I looked for some sanyo,s but got tired of looking. They seemed to not advertise the seer rating and everytime I clicked on one the seer rateing was too low for me. I am wondering if the Fujitso is related to the Mitsubishi. I was reading a description and toward the end it mentioned mitsubushi. Wonder if the seller messed up or they are related. Looks like mitsubushi and Fujitsu have the highest seer rating. I saw up to 26 seer for them. Solarvic

It is 120VAC? Can you plug a Killowatt is or clamp-on ammeter? The only thing that intersets me is the ability to lock a heat pump into a known measured value.
    That is the theme of this thread but I do not mind if it is hyjacked. This is for offgrid use and while the seer is important, it is not the key parrameter. The Fujitsu is a 220VAC unit which limits it's use as many off my customers/friends are 120VAC. 220VAC will most always have a highr seer!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭

Ok. I know this is not the theme of this thread.
    But, just as a parenthesis: Is it SAFE to power the Sanyo mini split (12,000 btu) with a modified wave inverter? (Old AIMS, 5,000 watts.)
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    It is 120VAC? Can you plug a Killowatt is or clamp-on ammeter? The only thing that intersets me is the ability to lock a heat pump into a known measured value.
    That is the theme of this thread but I do not mind if it is hyjacked. This is for offgrid use and while the seer is important, it is not the key parrameter. The Fujitsu is a 220VAC unit which limits it's use as many off my customers/friends are 120VAC. 220VAC will most always have a highr seer!

Havn,t installed it yet. Still have a lot of snow on the ground. When I get it installed in a few months I will post the results you ask about. S:Dlarvic
  • Dave Angelini

Jessica, I thought you were already doing this ? If not, the Sanyo works by converting AC to DC and while I have not done this, and I would not want to be the first, it should work!

• JESSICA
    Jessica, I thought you were already doing this ? If not, the Sanyo works by converting AC to DC and while I have not done this, and I would not want to be the first, it should work!

Dave:

Sorry, my question was not properly formulated.
    Yes, my Sanyo has been beautifully working since last summer, but I have never used it when my RE system is on. In other words, it is always connected to the grid.
    Hence, my question was/is this: As we all know, some motors and appliances does not work properly with modified wave inverters:

["What May Not Run: Appliances that use electronics to control temperature or timers may have problems with modified sine waves. This includes anything - tool or appliance - that is variable speed, bread makers, some microwaves, some washers and dryers that use electronic timing for cycling. Most computers, TV's and similar items will have no problem. Anything with a motor will use about 20% more power with a modified sine wave than with a true sine wave" (Quoted from NAWS)]

Then: Do you think the Sanyo can be ruined if connected for a prolonged time to a msw inverter?

Thanks.
  • Dave Angelini

What MSW inverter? In the past, way back decades, I had good luck (within reason) with the Trace MSW's and I would think the Xantrex MSW's would work but you have to realize that very few people are in your shoes. Sine wave inverters and the various ways that sine wave like waveforms are produced are not perfect either. It would be my opinion to buy an XW!

I would say 70 percent chance of success! Buenas Suerte !

• JESSICA

Dave:

Thanks. I don't have the money for the XW, but 2 weeks ago I ordered a GO POWER 1,500, pure sine. (Around $ 625.)
    Until it arrives, I use my "loaner", an old AIMS msw, 5,000 watts, that has been working perfectly for about 2 months now. [I have never connected my Sanyo to this inverter; I was just wondering...]

Thanks for your advise. And BUENA SUERTE to you.
  • Dave Angelini

Just thinking Jessica that whatever you source your heat pump with, give it a nice listen first with your normal power source. Go have an adult beverage with it and that way when you use your new power source you will know that all is copacetic.
    It is amazing what your ears can tell you.

• JESSICA
    Just thinking Jessica that whatever you source your heat pump with, give it a nice listen first with your normal power source. Go have an adult beverage with it and that way when you use your new power source you will know that all is copacetic.
    It is amazing what your ears can tell you.

Dave:

I have - ocassionally - powered my Sanyo with a Craftman 4.2 generator. As expected, it worked perfectly. The only thing I was/am worried about is those troublesome modified waves produced by the Aims inverter. But, any way, that will not be a problem with the inverter I just bought.

P.S.: No heat pump in my unit, though.
  • Dave Angelini

PS Jessica, It is a heat pump that you have in the Sanyo! The heat is is only being removed from the inside unit! A bit of firmware and a switched valve will then remove the heat from outside unit!

• JESSICA

A very loooong Ooooops!
  • Dave Angelini

An one year update on this thread 8) Definately one of the best purchases I ever made.

A nearly flawless piece of heating and cooling equipment for an offgrid home. We cut our firewood use be over 30% and use the same protocol that is stated in this thread when I started it for cooling. The perfect use of excess energy !

• PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

A 9-month update on our unit:

We used it to warm the house after coming home from work before the woodstove got warm. It worked great. We had to run the generator a few times but would've done that before installing this Sanyo in years past to run our propane central heating system, which would've used more electric and more propane.

But the BIG thing is the weather forcast for next week. Our temps have been bouncing between 50 and 75 for a few weeks now, with more rain than usual.

Tuesday is supposed to be 85 according to the local news. It's gonna only go up from there.

And when we get home from work it'll be 74 degrees inside!! Yeah, we could live with the 85 both in and out, but what a luxury to have a cool house when we arrive! And in a month when it's over 90 out, we will again have a couple of cats thanking us.

So for the 19th time, but not nearly enough, THANKS DAVE!!

Phil
  • JESSICA
    An one year update on this thread 8) Definately one of the best purchases I ever made.

A nearly flawless piece of heating and cooling equipment for an offgrid home. We cut our firewood use be over 30% and use the same protocol that is stated in this thread when I started it for cooling. The perfect use of excess energy !

I agree.
    After almost one year, it is the only piece of equipment that has always performed perfectly in my home.
    After I installed the Sanyo, I bought two more mini-splits: Fujitsu 12k btu (for my brother) and TGM 12k btu (for my mother). None compares to the Sanyo; and none is as energy efficient.
    One complaint, though: As I said almost one year ago, standby power is just too high (around 13 watts). I see no reason for that.

Thanks.
  • PhilS
    JESSICA wrote: »
    One complaint, though: As I said almost one year ago, standby power is just too high (around 13 watts). I see no reason for that.

Thanks.

I put the unit's power on a switch as Dave recommended. Didn't you?

13 watts is nothing on those hot sunny days where we have the Sanyo timer set to start the AC in the early afternoon. The rest of the time, the power switch is off.

Phil
  • JESSICA
    PhilS wrote: »
    I put the unit's power on a switch as Dave recommended. Didn't you?

13 watts is nothing on those hot sunny days where we have the Sanyo timer set to start the AC in the early afternoon. The rest of the time, the power switch is off.

Phil

Yes; in my case I just turn off the dedicated breaker.
    Nevertheless, being the schizofrenic pesimist that I am, I constantly think that turning the power off almost every day could, in some way, damage capacitors, transistors, or some other components of which I only know the name.
  • PhilS
    Nevertheless, being the schizofrenic pesimist that I am, I constantly think that turning the power off almost every day could, in some way, damage capacitors, transistors, or some other components of which I only know the name.

YOU CRACK ME UP JESSICA ;););)

Turning off power like we do wouldn't burn out any of those parts. However, breakers aren't meant to be used as power switches and that could suffer an early failure. I went for a wall switch just below where the remote is mounted (in addition to the breaker). If your breaker isn't close you probably don't get to hear the Sanyo make it's "whirring" noise for ~5 or 10 seconds when power is reapplied.

(knocking on wood now) I've seen posts (at satelliteguys.us forum) that frequently removing power to satellite receivers will cause early deaths, especially like mine with a harddrive, but I've been doing it daily for over 15 years... well, maybe only six or seven years on THIS receiver since I upgraded to HD. So far, no problems there either. But that thing sucks over 50 watts even when it's "off". Of course, I gotta wait for it to 'boot up' every time before we can watch TV but it's worth an extra few minutes twice a day to save THAT much power.

Phil
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

What is the deal with sat receivers anyway? You would think we can take a man to the moon, we could build a sat receiver that draws something like zero watt when off!

Tony

PS I heard the same thing with sat modems, turn them on and leave them on is what was suggested. Mine has been off and on and off and on for 5 years.
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭

Actually, AC compressors generally have sump-heaters to keep the oil separated from the refrigerant.

Some are not so smart and run all the time - others have thermostat switches or other controls so that the heat is only added when needed.

I would make sure that the "vampire" draw on the Sanyo isn't being used for a compressor heater - if it is, you want to make sure you power up the system without running it for a day before using it to make sure the oil/refrigerant has fully separated.

Otherwise, early compressor wear and failure will result.
  • JESSICA

Turning off power like we do wouldn't burn out any of those parts. However, breakers aren't meant to be used as power switches and that could suffer an early failure. I went for a wall switch just below where the remote is mounted (in addition to the breaker). If your breaker isn't close you probably don't get to hear the Sanyo make it's "whirring" noise for ~5 or 10 seconds when power is reapplied.
    Phil

Phil:

Regarding breakers: In my parents home we have been turning off and on the electric stove breaker for... 30 years! So far, no harm done. (In fact, it is the same original breaker.)

Now, going back to the Sanyo: I think (though I may be wrong) that our mini split has some sort of defroster or anythig else that must operate for some time (maybe 1 or 2 hours) after we turn the unit off, and thus, disconnecting it totally from ac power inmediately could theoretically damage somethig (Yes I know my words are very vague today.) Please, chek out that possibility. I am here to learn, not to lecture.
  • PhilS
    Phil:

Regarding breakers: In my parents home we have been turning off and on the electric stove breaker for... 30 years! So far, no harm done. (In fact, it is the same original breaker.)

Now, going back to the Sanyo: I think (though I may be wrong) that our mini split has some sort of defroster or anything else that must operate for some time (maybe 1 or 2 hours) after we turn the unit off, and thus, disconnecting it totally from ac power immediately could theoretically damage something (Yes I know my words are very vague today.) Please, check out that possibility. I am here to learn, not to lecture.

I'm here to learn too, you schizofrenic pesimist! :p

Plus it's fun just being in contact with others that live off grid. We are a special group, and I'm not referring to all my years of 'special education' from the fifties. ;) I gotta put in the smiley faces to appease Neil who sometimes doesn't get my dry humor and has chastised me a couple of times when he thought I was being less-that-respectful to other forum members (well krap, THIS post will get deleted!) Disclaimer: I mean to offend no one on this forum. I frequent quite a few forums daily (it's nice to own the business and be the "boss" even when employees come in and say "... you are on the forums AGAIN??!!)). I don't visit forums that have a lot of trolls posting, or flaming, or arguing unjustly, or anything untasteful. This forum is one of the best.

Jessica, it's others that have said breakers will fail early if used as an "on-off" switch and I've seen it said enough that I believe it. I have spent over three years underwater on submarines and we always used them to turn equipment on and off and I don't remember ever having to replace ANY breakers. But having been Navy trained in all things electrical, I DO understand that breakers were not designed nor intended to be 'on-off' switches.

As far as the oil/defrosting thing, your post is the very first I've heard of that. I live in a pretty mild climate so this may not affect us. Would these units be any different than a normal Frigidaire window unit in that respect?

Phil
  • JESSICA
    I'm here to learn too, you schizofrenic pesimist! :p

Plus it's fun just being in contact with others that live off grid. We are a special group, and I'm not referring to all my years of 'special education' from the fifties. ;) I gotta put in the smiley faces to appease Neil who sometimes doesn't get my dry humor and has chastised me a couple of times when he thought I was being less-that-respectful to other forum members (well krap, THIS post will get deleted!) Disclaimer: I mean to offend no one on this forum. This forum is one of the best.

As far as the oil/defrosting thing, your post is the very first I've heard of that. I live in a pretty mild climate so this may not affect us. Would these units be any different than a normal Frigidaire window unit in that respect?

Phil

Phil

No need for smileys. I did understand your dry humor.
    Being from Puerto Rico, spanish is my first (and to be honest my only) language, and so, I see that sometimes you gringos do not understand my expressions or my own dry humor (In fact, the administrators of this forum has chastised me in the past for one or two misunderstood jokes.)

I REALLY appreciate your advise and your knowledge. And I too think this is the best RE forum available.

If someone can provide us with some more info about "the oil/defrosting thing", and the possibility that the sanyo has it, I will be thankfull. [Are you there, Dave Sparks?]

P.S.: My name: César. [Jessica is my wife.]
  • Dave Angelini
    icarus wrote: »
    What is the deal with sat receivers anyway? You would think we can take a man to the moon, we could build a sat receiver that draws something like zero watt when off!

Tony

PS I heard the same thing with sat modems, turn them on and leave them on is what was suggested. Mine has been off and on and off and on for 5 years.

You right it is maddening. Maybe now that TV's draw near zero watts and work in search mode the Sat recievers will follow. I have a funny one for you one day soon. You are the one who started the "why we live off grid" thread correct?
    gotta go it's 5 o'clock somewhere. Stay cool or warm or, why is your whiskey so good from up your way?

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    What is the deal with sat receivers anyway? You would think we can take a man to the moon, we could build a sat receiver that draws something like zero watt when off
    The main reason sat receiver uses power while turned off is to keep the lnb or lnbf powered continuously. That keeps your satellite receiver authorized. The bud=
    Big Ugly Dish had authorization sent out monthly by satellite signal and If your receiver wasn't plugged in you had to call satellite provider to send a hit to your BUD so you could receive your programing. Also with the 4dtv receiver you can have that problem. The LSD= Little Silly Dish gets authorization too but I think you can mostly get a forced authorization when it is powered up. Might have to wait awhile before you get your program guide authorized by the satellite. There is still a lot of free programing using the BUD and LSD if you have an mpeg fta receiver.
    My other hobby besides alt energy is the MPEG FTA receiver with BUD and LSD.
    S:Dlarvic
  • Dave Angelini
    solarvic wrote: »
    The main reason sat receiver uses power while turned off is to keep the lnb or lnbf powered continuously. That keeps your satellite receiver authorized. The bud=
    Big Ugly Dish had authorization sent out monthly by satellite signal and If your receiver wasn't plugged in you had to call satellite provider to send a hit to your BUD so you could receive your programing. Also with the 4dtv receiver you can have that problem. The LSD= Little Silly Dish gets authorization too but I think you can mostly get a forced authorization when it is powered up. Might have to wait awhile before you get your program guide authorized by the satellite. There is still a lot of free programing using the BUD and LSD if you have an mpeg fta receiver.
    My other hobby besides alt energy is the MPEG FTA receiver with BUD and LSD.
    S:Dlarvic

I am confused on this. Which one is Direct or Dish. I guess what I am asking is which one can you unplug and it will find itself and work in a "reasonable time"?
    Thx!

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

my guess would be none for a reasonable amount of time. i have dish and it takes roughly 5-10 minutes depending on time and circumstances. now dish can be set to receive its updates at user specified times making possible the use of a timer to receive updates and keep things current with the receiver. i never paid too much attention as to how long it took for the updates, but i would imagine around 5-10 minutes.
  • PhilS
    I am confused on this. Which one is Direct or Dish. I guess what I am asking is which one can you unplug and it will find itself and work in a "reasonable time"?
    Thx!

Hi Dave.

I have Dish Network, and have had since they first came into existance with DBS (not when Echostar had you use those great big dishes which, by the way, make GREAT gazebos when mounted on three or four 'legs').

I originally was ready to sign up with Primestar when they first started but they told me that my receiver would be "queried" at least once a month and if it didn't answer after the third try (because it wouldn't have had power 24/7) it would have been deactivated and I'd have had to phone in to reactivate.

When Dish first started, my main question was about 24/7 power (actually, the lack of it) and they said 'no problem'. And it hasn't been.

It takes 2 to 4 minutes to 'boot up' before we can watch TV, and since it isn't on all night I have to let it update the program guide once a week or so, and that takes about 10 minutes. Again, no big deal. We live in a lousy broadcast reception area so it's easy to put up with those little problems in order to have excellent TV picture and choices.

Phil
  • PhilS
    niel wrote: »
    my guess would be none for a reasonable amount of time. i have dish and it takes roughly 5-10 minutes depending on time and circumstances. now dish can be set to receive its updates at user specified times making possible the use of a timer to receive updates and keep things current with the receiver. i never paid too much attention as to how long it took for the updates, but i would imagine around 5-10 minutes.

I set my receiver to "update" at 6AM. If I'm up and watching then, it'll ask me if I wanna let it and I just press "no". Updates are rarely even necessary. A few times per year is adequate to get updated software. I've gone over half a year without updating and had no problem ... not to be confused with updating the program guide, which is different.

I can 'force' a program guide update by just trying to skip a few days ahead in the guide until I get the message that I need to update and then select "ok". If I don't do that for a week or so, when it boots up it'll say it's gonna update the program guide but I can still say "no" if I don't want to wait. It says it'll take about 5 minutes on the screen but since a software update last year it takes a little more than 10 minutes.

The last software update (L627) I got last week seems to have solved a problem: if you use and had programs on an external harddrive, and watched two off of that external drive in a row, and hit "stop" durinig the second one, it would be deleted. That problem has made many people VERY angry, but it's apparently fixed with this newest software update. IIRC it's been almost six months since L625 was installed (seems to be when this problem started).

I typically wait to read posts at the forum before I let it update. Over the years I've seen updates that caused more problems than they solved. And if you NEVER updated the software it wouldn't hurt a thing.

(on edit) not much to do with the Sanyo, but not to the point that Bill would need to split this off to a different thread IMO yet.

Phil
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

well the point is it can be worked around on dish that phil and i both agree upon. not sure of direct tv, but i'd imagine it would also be of this timeframe, or longer, when needed. i was indeed referring to the program list to be updated, but it also can stop an extra $5 surcharge dish charges for no telephone line being connected if those updates don't go through and they do that for each receiver that doesn't show a connection at that time. a simple timer works wonders for this. the only time i've seen longer times needed is when bad weather rolls through and maybe some or all of the birds are attenuated in their signal strength as the receiver will keep trying to obtain that signal. during that time it might just as well be off as far as i'm concerned.
  • PhilS
    niel wrote: »
    ...no telephone line being connected...

Niel,

I assume you know that if you have Caller ID and the receiver is connected to the phone line, when anybody calls it shows up on your TV?

The receivers default is NOT having that feature active and it has to be selected in the setup menu.

I REALLY like not having to interrupt my viewing for a telemarketer.

Phil
This discussion has been closed.