Speaking of Chinese turbines, anybody heard of these ?

boB
boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
Anybody heard or experienced anything about these particular Chinese turbines ??

Yangzhou Shenzhou Wind-driven Generator Co.,Ltd

http://www.fortechmail.com/f-n/index.asp

A couple of documents, at least temporarily available here too...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1641463/brochure.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1641463/user%27s_manual2007-4-13.pdf

Thanks,
boB

Comments

• keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭
    Re: Speaking of Chinese turbines, anybody heard of these ?

boB,

Unfortunately, I've heard very bad things about this company's wind turbines.

I know someone that had 3 of their 2kW wind turbines (sold as the Windmax V20) and all of them failed in moderate winds. I know about another person on this forum that had one that failed after a short time.

Below is a link to the exact turbines that have failed repeatedly. If you read through the information, you will see that they warn not recommended for winds over 30mph. Also, they state that they are made by that company. Directly off the site: "This wind turbine is made by Yangzhou Shenzhou Wind-driven Generator Co., Ltd (SWG)"

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_83&products_id=489

In the past, I also read horror stories about their bigger units too. SWG used to produce the larger wind turbines that were sold as "Re-driven". Apparently, SWG does not make Re-driven turbines anymore, but there were MANY problems with the earlier Redriven turbines that were made by SWG.

After my previous Chinese wind turbine failed, I spent a lot of time researching where some of these wind turbines were coming from, and this is one of the factories that I knew was very bad!

Lots of horror stories. Here's an example from this forum...

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=8874

Edward
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

I wondered if maybe this companies' turbines was that older Chinese one that you had that you had trouble with. I know someone with one of these that has been up on his tower but has been shorted for like, 2 years now and never actually produced any energy from what I understand. At least it's still standing still I guess.

boB
  • keyturbocars

I'm not 100% sure that mine was from SWG because my nose cone looked a little different than the SWG 2kW wind turbines that were sold under the Windmax name. Other than the nose cone, everything else looked the same. It's hard to tell with Chinese stuff because they often copy one another. So, I might have had a copy of the junk SWG turbine design. That must have made it really JUNKY! In addition to my bad experience, I know of 4 other 2kW wind turbines that failed within a short time.

That's why when I bought my HY-2000 wind turbine, I was really hesitant. To this day, even though my HY-2000 has worked flawlessly for 8 months, I'm a bit paranoid after what I went through with that first piece of junk. So far, I'm really impressed with my HY-2000 turbine (especially with the Classic 150 controlling it). It proves to me that the Chinese can do a good job if they put their mind to it.

Unfortunately, too many companies over there seem to only be interested in a quick buck and could care less about long term business (or the safety of the consumer).

TOO MUCH JUNK, JUNK, JUNK!

Edward
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, too many companies over there seem to only be interested in a quick buck and could care less about long term business (or the safety of the consumer).

Don't lay all the blame on them. Most of them have American partners whose goal is to buy cheap junk and offload it in the US and make a buck.

I have no doubt that the Chinese are capable of producing quality product - but only if there is a buyer for it. We see a lot of crappy product here, because that's what is being bought and shipped here and retailed to us, by mostly US businessmen.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    dwh wrote: »
    Don't lay all the blame on them. Most of them have American partners whose goal is to buy cheap junk and offload it in the US and make a buck.

I have no doubt that the Chinese are capable of producing quality product - but only if there is a buyer for it. We see a lot of crappy product here, because that's what is being bought and shipped here and retailed to us, by mostly US businessmen.

And Canadian businesses as well. British Columbia is a dumping ground for shoddy Chinese goods of all types. It's just about the only thing you can buy in the store. The low price is what attracts customers, only to have them hugely disappointed by the low quality. In the meantime goods made with care and attention don't sell due to the necessary higher price, which puts those companies out of business.

Although I have no intention of buying any of the "123 Watt" solar panels offered here by a certain China-based retailer: they're priced at $999! :p Hardly competitive with 'real' panels, eh?
  • keyturbocars

True, the Chinese are just meeting the American's demand for cheap products (some of which are cheap junk). We are at fault as well. I am guilty of this too at times. There is some truth to the old saying.... "you get what you pay for". Out of a love for money, we have shot ourselves in the foot.

Edward