Show Me Yours And I'll Show You Mine:)

Comments

• CariboocootCariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭
    Re: Show Me Yours And I'll Show You Mine:)
    nvyseal wrote: »
    Nice setup... Interesting place for a fly swatter:p:cool:

I've heard of a kill-a-watt, never heard of a kill-a-fly till now ;)

It's for debugging the system.

(Sorry; I just had to.)
  • MangasMangas Solar Expert Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

Sharp to notice Navyseal!

We put that there as a little cowboy humor amid all the fancy technology.

Few people notice the laugh or maybe are afraid to laugh along with us. No tellin'.
    Ranch Off Grid System: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF House Construction, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • rplarryrplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    solar_dave wrote: »
    I thought adoptions were from the goodness in your heart! LOL

Dave,
    Ofcourse they are, and I appreciate your offer, but if I'm going to get adopted I want to know that I am going to a good home.
    Larry ;)
    (I can't figure out how to get the smiley face down here.)
  • solar_davesolar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭
    rplarry wrote: »
    Dave,
    Ofcourse they are, and I appreciate your offer, but if I'm going to get adopted I want to know that I am going to a good home.
    Larry ;)
    (I can't figure out how to get the smiley face down here.)

Oh I was hoping you would adopt ME! LOL ;) Love the Baja! Cabo San Lucas is so fun. And the Fishing is great!
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Oh I was hoping you would adopt ME! LOL ;) Love the Baja! Cabo San Lucas is so fun. And the Fishing is great!

I am about 600 driving miles north of Cabo, but the fishing is still good here. Yellows are starting to show up in big numbers and the water is starting to warm up. Unfortunately the air is also starting to warm up. 100 to 110 will not be uncommon in the next few months.
    Larry
  • DerikDerik Solar Expert Posts: 82 ✭✭✭✭

This is the first time I attached photos here so I hope it works. This is going to be my retirement home when and if I can retire. I have my expenses down to 40.00 a month with this home, that inculdes water, septic, well, propane and electricity. It doesn't include battery or solar replacement, but it's a very inexpensive home to keep, very modern and has all the conveniences. Most of the 40.00 a month is for wood for the wood fireplace that heats the home and propane for cooking and hot water, and gas for the generator to pump the water 700 feet up from the earth and then another 1000 feet up from the well above the house. (impractical for solar)

In the photos, I tried to show how you don't have to skimp with a 100% OFF grid home. I have no generator for charging and rely on my 9 -215 watt panels, 12 Trojan batteries and my Outback Flexware 500 with duel inverters which are nicely tucked in a utility closet.

I make much more power than I would ever use and it's been a trouble free system now for just about one year, it was put in service last may.

The house is 1760 sq feet with a 700 foot wrap around deck 16 foot ceilings and 10 foot walls. Regular size fridge, washer, dryer and a 36 inch range.

I forgot the photo of the house.

Derik
    Nice place, well thought out. I'm curious why you didn't hook your gen to your Outback inverters? I'm guessing that you also run the gen set when you run the central air, so why not charge the batts at the same time?
    I agree that it is amazing how few panels it takes to run a "normal" house 90% on solar.
    thanks for sharing
    Larry

Rplarry my generator is a 5.5kw with a 6.5kw surge from lows. I use it for the well only, since it's really not designed to run a house and the well is so far from the house that I couldn't hardwire it anyway.

The original plan was to buy a Kohler 10KW-12KW Propane generator this past year but now it just doesn't seem necessary.

I have not run my AC and didn't need it last year at all and it looks like this year will be the same. The design of the house keeps the inside temp 20 degrees cooler than outside and I have ceiling fans in every room. At close to 3,300 feet and 65 miles due east of the Pacific it stays pretty cool. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have paid for the AC unit.

For solar I don't think I will ever need a generator to charge the batteries, we had one of the wettest winters on record last year and the batteries were fully charged every two- three days during the storms.
  • chevensteinchevenstein Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭

Derik - I love the empty meter socket! Not having an electric meter then having my own meter that I installed to monitor usage was very novel for me for some reason when we went off grid. Sometimes I think it would be funny if the local utility came to try to get a reading, but we're so far out that most people don't realize that there are more houses down our road.

I got some weird questions from both the Building Inspector and the General Contractor when they looked at the meter blank.

I would love to see the local utility show up to read my non existing meter.

Another good one would be to call them and get a free energy audit! They do those from time to time.

The propane guy dropped off my tank 13 months ago and it's still 55% full and it was 80% when they dropped it off! So I'll be calling him once every two years or less!
  • TheBackRoadsTheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Bump ;) Lets see em!
  • jvcyclistjvcyclist Registered Users Posts: 11

We have built our retirement home on Rowe Mesa, New Mexico. The local power company wanted on the order of $70K to run wires to the house, so off-grid was a no-brainer. The house is Adobe and was designed by my wife. The power system was designed by Dave Angelini...who was amazingly patient and useful in the process. I did all the work (with some help from my builder).

The house photo is a little old, but it isn't much different now. The photo "old and new" show our new panels (fixed and tracker) in the foreground, and the old fixed system and windmill which we used to run the travel trailer we lived in for 5 years or so. The "battery box" is what the outside of the battery box looks like, and the "batteries" are around half of the batteries.

My wife is living in the house and it all works flawlessly. The system is basically designed around running a pump which pulls water up from a 750 foot well. We only pump water during the day (duh!). Our heating system pulls more power than I want (even though the heat is LPG...and 96% efficient) but I am planning on figuring out what that is all about. We have a Generac generator which we used to run the water pump before the system was in now recyclied to be our back-up generator. Going to install an AGS over Thanksgiving. My only problem is that I can't (yet) get out there to work with the system as much as I would like 'cause I am in Montgomery Alabama working to pay for the thing...

Jim
  • offgrid meoffgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119

Coming up on three months now since commisioning. Still havent started the generator. Power company wanted $35k to run the lines 3/4 mile. $15k for the system self installed. Multiple thunder storms, 1 hurricane, 1 snow storm and still going strong. We love our little slice of heaven.
  • VicVic Solar Expert Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭

The new off grid site... Hope this works. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.

Awesome everyone!

Vic is that container built into the building or does it just look that way?
  • VicVic Solar Expert Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭

Thiis has been an interesting thread. Great to see many different approaches.

TBR, Yes, really, the structure was built around the container. The 20 foot container carries a reasonable amount of the roof load.

One more coat of stucco to go. Am behind getting the solar modules up, and even in CA, Winter is on the way!

Thanks for the views, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
    Vic wrote: »
    Thiis has been an interesting thread. Great to see many different approaches. - Vic

Indeed it is, I'm surprised to see 2 of the new Xantrex/Schneider controllers even :cool:

Note to all you grid-tied folks... lets see those too :D:p
  • Fe-WoodFe-Wood Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭✭✭

Here is my first "real" power system. I just finished the install last night and turned it on. Oh the joy! I still have a bit tidying to do but here is the basic set up-

Magnum Energy 4024 PAE
    Magnum Energy RC-50 remote
    Magnum Energy Battery Monitor Kit (yet to install)
    8 Crown 6VDC 395Amp hr batteries- Producing 24VDC with 790Amp hrs.

One question I have is about the plug I used for the battery disconnect. Is that causing undo resistance? I will be building a permanent shelf above the batteries and putting the batteries on a roll out cart for service. So I though it better to have a plug in instead of using the Polaris combiners as the disconnect.

I owe a tremendous thanks to many members of this forum for helping me learn about and design this system. Thank You!
  • HuntingHawkHuntingHawk Registered Users Posts: 12

This is not my home but our storm shelter.
    batteries2.jpg
    30oct.jpg
    HuntingHawk
  • nielniel Solar Expert Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭
    This is not my home but our storm shelter.
    batteries2.jpg
    30oct.jpg
    HuntingHawk

you've got a good bit of pv there, but the wally world batteries you need to watch out for. keep them topped off with distilled water and check often.
  • mike95490mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭✭

Why are the heavy batteries on a 'middle" shelf instead of a bottom shelf, is my question ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

The wiring looks like three 12 Volt batteries "laddered" together. That's not good. Hard to keep the current even between batteries that way.
    Maybe it's just the way it appears.

Mike90045, there is only one shelf. That top is actually a tin roof to keep water(rain) off the batteries & wiring.
    I made the rack tall so I can service the batteries easier.

HH

Cariboocoot, how should the 12V batteries be wired together then?
    Cariboocoot, how should the 12V batteries be wired together then?

Take a look at Smart Gauge's diagrams here: http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
    What you've got looks like Method 1. What you want to use would be Method 2.
    Otherwise the batteries "low down the ladder" tend to get left out of the charge/discharge process.

Thank you. I'll hook them up as in method 2 tomorrow. Have to remember to disconnect the panels to the controller first.

Here's my mini system. Two 15watt panels.
    solar.jpg
    To a 10amp controller.
    ms11.jpg
    To two 17AH AGM batteries which were free.
    ms10.jpg
    And from the batteries to a 12VDC light which I'd like to change out for a LED.
    ms12.jpg
    HuntingHawk

Pic of controller this morning after rewiring the batteries.
    controller.jpg
    And pic of inverter which still isn't wired up yet.
    inverter.jpg
    HH
  • katbastardkatbastard Registered Users Posts: 9

IMAG0013.jpg
    IMAG0014.jpg

16 150w 24v bp panels and 8 old cracked army 300w 12v panels

24 2 volt 4000 amp/hour MCT 4000 batteries, 3 outback mppt 80 charge controllers for room to grow, and 2 Outback FX3048T 3000W inverters.

my home
    DSC_0068.jpg
    DSC_0073.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg