Show Me Yours And I'll Show You Mine:)

Comments

• mtdocmtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600
    Re: Show Me Yours And I'll Show You Mine
    Sulfur wrote: »

Yard panels are at 32 degrees incline, roof panels are at 17 degrees incline. This time of year I see a pretty large difference in production between the 2 groups(20% more from yard panels), in the summer time, production is quite similar between the 2 groups. This week I see a much larger gap (100%) since roof panels are covered in snow.

Why not mount the yard panels at a steeper angle? What is your latitude? Where in MT are you? I used to live in Billings but have been all over the state - I miss it!
  • SulfurSulfur Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Re: Show Me Yours And I'll Show You Mine:)

I thought about 30 degrees was optimum angle for southern MT to maximize year round production, but I could be wrong on that?
  • BB.BB. Super Moderators Posts: 26,873 admin

You can play with PV Watts (pick a city near you) and see what is the Hours of Sun (or kWH per month) a system would generate for different array positions.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • nielniel Solar Expert Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Sulfur wrote: »
    I thought about 30 degrees was optimum angle for southern MT to maximize year round production, but I could be wrong on that?

what good is a proper 30 degree angle (if it is listed as best for gt production for your area) if the snow isn't readily sliding off of it? it gets tricky sometimes determining the best angle despite programs like pv watts. good place to start though.
  • SulfurSulfur Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭

I live at this location, so snow is a non issue, I am interested only in the optimum angle to maximize annual production for yard panels. When snow falls, I broom it off, whether is slides or not does not matter. My next solar project will be at a cabin property that I am not at very much in the winter, so I may go 45 degrees on those panels. I need to consider that one further. Days are short here in the winter, so clearly most of the kwh are generated in the non snow season and angle should be optimized for those seasons.
  • dkpro1dkpro1 Registered Users Posts: 23

Attachment not found.
    my solar RV rig boondocking in desert
  • Ralph DayRalph Day Solar Expert Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Sorry, whenever I see an RV in the desert I think of Walter White and Jessie cooking up a batch.

Is that enough PV to run ac? Not seen in picture.

Ralph
    Ralph Day wrote: »
    Sorry, whenever I see an RV in the desert I think of Walter White and Jessie cooking up a batch.

Is that enough PV to run ac? Not seen in picture.

Ralph

I't is but don't need to very often north in summer soth in winter 1.9 KW.

Attachment not found.
    dkpro1 wrote: »
    Attachment not found.
    my solar RV rig boondocking in desert

My latest work solar picnic table
  • TomCatTomCat Registered Users Posts: 1

I wanted to build a mobile solar generator for my cabin and other remote camping and jobs sites. So putting a off grid solar system on a small trailer seemed ok but I had a better idea !

Here is the end result :-) Hope you like it ? Attachment not found. Attachment not found. Attachment not found.

https://sites.google.com/site/serenitysolarcanoe/

Attachment not found.

home by the lake
    Attachment not found.

home by the lake

Added 280 more watts puts me at over 2KW on a motor homeAttachment not found.
  • feedhornfeedhorn Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭✭
    Added 280 more watts puts me at over 2KW on a motor homeAttachment not found.

What are your loads, batteries, inverters? How do you use all that power?
    feedhorn wrote: »
    What are your loads, batteries, inverters? How do you use all that power?
    well lets start
    5.0 cf freezer
    8.0 cf refrigerator freezer
    40 inch led
    24 inch lcd
    12 pound washing machine
    400 watt dc water heating element in hot water heater
    Crock pot run's most days for cooking
    ps. we use a Elc. blanket at night when needed

it is two sys.
    24 volt and 12
    on 24 volt I have 4 Torjan T125's
    on 12 2 T105's
    1500 watt PS on 24 v
    300 watt PS on 12
    any extra power dumps to hot water heater

I keep night loads very low as power is not free at night ....it is in the day
  • feedhornfeedhorn Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is awesome!

Are you sure you chassis can handle all that weight ?
  • GlamslandGlamsland Registered Users Posts: 8

Here's my cabin in south of Norway. Its just along a small (1km long) lake.
    No road, only the boat to get over to the cabin..

I have 300w panel
    400ah battery bank
    500w inverter 12/230v
    "Tinytracker" solar tracking system.

Inside;
    Some led reading lights
    Led tv/dvd
    A lot of candles..
    ++
  • Ralph DayRalph Day Solar Expert Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Lovely looking cabin. Are the orange things on the porch posts fire wrap blankets, extinguishers or what|?

Ralph
  • GlamslandGlamsland Registered Users Posts: 8

Its just the lifewests for the boattrip. .. Smart thing to use in the winter..:D
  • boonhaulerboonhauler Solar Expert Posts: 35
    Added 280 more watts puts me at over 2KW on a motor home

What are you doing for Charge Controllers?

And I thought I was building a big system.....Ha!
    boonhauler wrote: »
    What are you doing for Charge Controllers?

And I thought I was building a big system.....Ha!

2 tristar 45 mppt's
  • chiefchief Registered Users Posts: 3

Home off grid, just for fun.
    pics

After reading a book and some forum posts i decided to set up a system for fun and learning. I don't have a garage and didn't want to build a separate building so i used a room in my house. It's making up to 3K watts per day, powering a mini fridge, wine cooler, a couple lights, a desktop pc, a backyard shed and laptop and cellphone charging.
    Costs:
    -Panels. (3) 250 watt panels and mounting rails $1K
    -Charge controller and Inverter. $1K
    -Batteries. 400 amp hours @ 24V. $1.5K
    -Panel and wiring. ~$500

Plan is to buy 3 more panels this summer to properly charge the batteries. In hindsight i could have gotten by with a 1000 Watt inverter.

I think of the expense as "electricity insurance" We spend $100's of dollars a month on car, health, housing and many other insurance costs. How important is electricity?
  • BB.BB. Super Moderators Posts: 26,873 admin

Your cat looks like you surprised him (or her) flying Microsoft flight simulator in that last picture. ;)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • chiefchief Registered Users Posts: 3
    BB. wrote: »
    Your cat looks like you surprised him (or her) flying Microsoft flight simulator in that last picture. ;)

-Bill
    Yea, who knows what he actually does when we're gone...

Any comments, suggestions or questions are encouraged. I am a newbie and learn a lot from this forum. Been lurking for a while so a big THANK YOU to all for the info and insight.
  • boonhaulerboonhauler Solar Expert Posts: 35
    2 tristar 45 mppt's

How are you doing 2kw on those two controlers?
  • SkiDoo55SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

Just Monitoring the solar for you while you are away��
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • PhotowhitPhotowhit Solar Expert Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭

...And now for something completely different! (apologies to Monty Python's Flying Circus)

Part of living off grid is heating your home, I had gas heat last time in my cabin, but with the 'new place' (a tin can/mobile home)I went with a wood stove.

I choose to go out through an existing window, it was near where I needed to install the stove and would have been awkward to do a 'through the roof' install. It also allowed for no problems trying to get a good seal in the roof, and allowed for the removal of the ugly window treatment...lol.

Attachment not found.

I contacted a local steel roofing and siding manufacturer and purchased 3 pieces of steel the same size as the window, It was cheap enough to have an inner outer and a spare. Steel is set against the wall next to the window.

Attachment not found.

Found a island counter top on craigslist 'free' section, tile on concrete board on plywood, sounds like a hearth to me! Though it was heavier than the wood stove and a pain to move! Brought in and positioned the wood stove. Removed the inner window

Attachment not found.

Removed the outer window and framed in the area to provide a screw backing for the pass through section and installed the pass through. Then cut a hole in steel and mounted over the old window.

Attachment not found.

Installed the outer chimney pipe. Note the window installation did not drop on existing studs below the window, so I did a bolt through the top of the base so the weight of the chimney would not allow it to become out of position.

Attachment not found.

First fire, the wood stove draws fine and did all winter, it really is only 20" above the peak and should be 24 but I don't think I will add a section.

Attachment not found.

The pipe boxes provide tons of fire starter, now to do something with the last ugly window treatment!

Photos taken with a very wide angle lens, stove is almost 1 foot from wall and it has a double back requiring 9" clearance, The hearth is actually much wider the deep, 49" x 73" as I recall, about a foot wider than I had anticipated building.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Prosine 1800 and Exeltech 1100, ForkLift battery. Off grid for @13 of last 14 years. 1000 watts being added to current CC, @2700 watts to be added with an additional CC.
  • DanS26DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Attachment not found.

Solar in Indiana. It doesn't get any better than this in Ripley county Indiana.
    18.2kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED System monitoring with PVOutput.org
    boonhauler wrote: »
    How are you doing 2kw on those two controlers?

24 volt sys. 90x24= 2160 watts
    2000 x .77 = 1540 watts high output
  • verdigoverdigo Solar Expert Posts: 427 ✭✭

Wondering how much current those two old Bakelite Radios draw? You could probably get some heat out of those as well:cool:
  • PhotowhitPhotowhit Solar Expert Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭
    verdigo wrote: »
    Wondering how much current those two old Bakelite Radios draw? You could probably get some heat out of those as well:cool:

I actually have 4-6 old radios, goes with collecting and listening to OTR (Old Time Radio) 2 of my radios are old farm radios designed to work on batteries, 32 volts I think! Off Grid is an old concept....

Attachment not found.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Prosine 1800 and Exeltech 1100, ForkLift battery. Off grid for @13 of last 14 years. 1000 watts being added to current CC, @2700 watts to be added with an additional CC.