Other trimetric questions

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
So this is likely a big year for me, I hope to install a large fork lift battery...

I guess as much as I preach "...get a feel for your batteries" I'll likely want to setup my meter again, to keep a closer watch on my BIG investment. I'll also be squaring away my wiring and hard wiring to the house, so the questions are...

I have a run of @ 45 - 50 feet to the house, should I use direct bury phone line(or more likely Cat5e 24 gauge network line) for use in conduit, after the thread about water all conduit?

I assume(insert U and ME joke here) that the wire resistance is a factor in sending and receiving information from the unit, so should I track down some slightly heavier wire, 20 or 22 gauge? I've made plenty of network wires, and my crimper has a phone sized crimper port, would heavier wire fit in the same connectors? (I'm sure I can answer this question when I search for connectors)

And finally, should I have a separate conduit to the house or run it with my AC, or separate conduit(assume), separate trench as well? AC will be a single 15 Amp service, from a true sinewave inverter.
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    Re: Other trimetric questions

The Trimetric manual recommends 24 gauge so CAT5 will work just fine (It's just RS-232 signals to the display).

I pulled a CAT6 cable, a 14 gauge wire pair (to supply remote 12vdc from my controller) and a RG-9 coax (CCTV camera) in a separate conduit in the same trench from the PV power wiring. I've found the wire insulation and jacket on CAT6 to be better than most CAT5 cabling.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nsaspook wrote: »
    The Trimetric manual recommends 24 gauge so CAT5 will work just fine (It's just RS-232 signals to the display).

It's measuring current across a shunt, thought it had standard phone connectors at the meter though, guess not, likely you, and I were thinking about remote inverter display.

From the manual;

Maximum cable length for “G1” wire from meter to shunt for the following wire sizes are: #26 gauge: 45 feet. #24
    gauge: 70 feet. #22 gauge: 100 feet. #20 gauge: 180 feet. #18 gauge: 300 feet. #16 gauge: 400 feet.

So the 24 gauge should be fine. Thanks.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Paul54
    Paul54 Registered Users Posts: 18

I used standard Cat 5 to extend my trimetric at least as far as what you are looking to do. Since the meter only needs 4 conductors, and cat 5 has 8, I twisted together the conductors in each pair to double up the wire size leaving me with 4 larger conductors. I don't think you will have any noise or inductance problems from running it right along side that 15 amp AC cable.
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    Paul54 wrote: »
    I used standard Cat 5 to extend my trimetric at least as far as what you are looking to do. Since the meter only needs 4 conductors, and cat 5 has 8, I twisted together the conductors in each pair to double up the wire size leaving me with 4 larger conductors. I don't think you will have any noise or inductance problems from running it right along side that 15 amp AC cable.

It's usually a code violation (per the facilities boss at my job) to run them both in the same raceway/conduit unless the signal cable is 600V and wet rated. You will get water in the conduit.