Physical Layout of Batteries and Balance of System Components

Options
joeedens
joeedens Solar Expert Posts: 28
For those of you that have lots of experience installing systems I'd like your input on what you consider the best layout for the batteries and components.

I'm installing a system using 2 of Midnite's stretched e-panels which will have 1 VFX3648 and 1 Classic 200 installed on the door of each e-panel. For batteries I'm installing a 48 volt HUP Solar One battery bank. The battery bank consists of 4 steel boxes each housing 6, 2 volt cells which will all be wired in series. The 4 steel boxes measure 40"L x 8.25"W x 25"H. The steel boxes will be housed in a sealed plywood box with a removeable cover vented to the outside.

I've got plenty of wall and floor space so I've got lots of flexibility on installation. My question is mainly, should I install the batteries in a 2x2 (2 steel boxes x 2 steel boxes) which would have a footprint of the box of approximately 82" long x 18.5" wide x 27" high, and then mount both e-panels on the wall directly over the battery boxes? This configuration would allow me to minimize the inverter-to-battery cable length and charge controller-to-battery cable length, but would mean that I would have to work over the battery box any time I need to interact with the inverter, charge controller, etc.
The other option is to utilize a corner space and have the batteries stalled on one wall in a 1x4 (1 steel box x 4 steel boxes) which would have a box footprint of approximately 42" long x 35" wide x 27" high, then mount both e-panels on the adjacent wall around the corner, in a configuration which would not be directly over the batteries. This configuration would have longer battery cables but I would be able to access the e-panels without working over the top of the battery box.
So which way would you go?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Physical Layout of Batteries and Balance of System Components

I'd add a gauge to the cables, and go longer, and not have to lean over foaming batteries to shut down the system :D
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

Go 1 x 4 way.

This way, allows one bank to be worked on without leaning over another. Plus all batteries will have a better chance to be at the same temp. With a 2 x2, the inner batts. could stay at a higher temp.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

I would prefer not to put expensive electrical kit on top of batteries, even if they're vented outside. Mount to the side seems the better option.
  • joeedens
    joeedens Solar Expert Posts: 28
    Options

So far it looks like 3 votes for mounting to the side of the batteries. Any more thoughts?
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Don't now if it is possible , but have you considered a small "room" ( 3 x 3) rather than a box with controls on one side of the wall and batteries on the other side? controls could be very close to its own bank... and /or the banks could be on shelves.

Also the 'room' could be vented outside...

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada