FX3048 with 175A breaker?

Options
I am refining my PV solar design (filling in my "bill-of-materials" list) and have a question. I want to use the MidNite Solar Epanel (stretched version) with an Outback FX3048 inverter. The problem I have is the Outback stretched versions only comes with a 175A or 250A inverter breaker (the FX3048 is listed to use a 125A breaker).

Can I just use the larger 175A breaker, or does this defeat its purpose / protection?

Should I just use the VFX3648 model (more money) with its recommended 175A breaker? I don't need the sealed inverter (FX3048) but just didn't feel I needed the extra power. Or is there in fact a 125A stretched version available and it is just not listed?

Thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: FX3048 with 175A breaker?

Kevin, Great timing. :D

I called Robin about this and it turns out that JUST about 10 minutes ago a new model number has been created. Evidently Conergy wanted the same thing today.

What you want to order is the MNE125 STS-L

This is a left handed stretch E-panel. The price difference, because of the smaller breaker should be $40.00 less (he's pretty sure) based on the fact that the thin E-panel version is $40.00 less for 125 A breaker vs. the 175 A breaker.

boB