SmartGauge battery monitor anyone?

SolarT
SolarT Solar Expert Posts: 49
I know that this forum reference the technical knowledge base of the smartgauge BM UK a lot. However, does anyone own and run one of these over here? I found it because of the links here.

No shunts and it is based on multiple battery "computer model" that calibrates realtime as long as it is connected. It can do 2 banks of batteries and has a split charge option.

I am thinking of getting one just to play with.

Comments

• nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    Re: SmartGauge battery monitor anyone?
    SolarT wrote: »
    I know that this forum reference the technical knowledge base of the smartgauge BM UK a lot. However, does anyone own and run one of these over here? I found it because of the links here.

No shunts and it is based on multiple battery "computer model" that calibrates realtime as long as it is connected. It can do 2 banks of batteries and has a split charge option.

I am thinking of getting one just to play with.

My 2c worth.
    I understand the methods they use (voltage/battery AC impedance ESR to derive a SG that equates to SOC) and it works to a point but for a solar energy monitor you really need a current monitor (shunt/hall sensor) to tune your system loads. The energy source model works better in a static charge/discharge usage pattern.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8755745/A-mathematical-model-for-leadacid-batteriespdf
    http://130.226.56.153/rispubl/VEA/veapdf/ris-r-1515.pdf
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    SolarT wrote: »
    It can do 2 banks of batteries and has a split charge option.

The monitoring on the second bank is voltage only.
  • SolarT

I had Smartgauge installed for a week now and it is simple to install compared to the shunt based battery monitor. The other is the Xantrex BM (XBM) with complicated wiring shunt install.

It's SOC equivalent is very accurate. Installation is simple two 16awg wires, one to pos and the other to neg of the battery bank.

I am using its relay controller to switch on my charger after sundown when SOC drops below 70% and stop when it goes over 86% - solar can top it off. Simple install as well one 'common' wire and the other wire either to 'Normally Open' or 'Normally Closed'.

XBM is used as a load only monitor.

BTW, takes a week to ship from the UK to Seattle via Royal mail.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Interesting--I assume you program some information about battery type, AH capacity and such?

I will be interested to hear how well it tracks State of Charge with continuing use.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SolarT

Just battery 'type 3' AGM with lower charge voltage. No battery Ah required. It just show Voltage and C (SOC) on primary bank and voltage on secondary battery.

Their computer model gets more accurate as long it is connected to the bank - true. As with any mathematical model, calibration measurement is crucial. Otherwise, it is just a theory. Years ago, I did some with model calibration and we had to adjust our model to fit the real world. I see a bunch of papers that talks about model analysis but none remotely discuss calibration or feedback loop.

Smartgauge is the rare one that actually calibrates the model realtime.

It doesn't show Ah or Amp obviously, just SOC equivalent called 'C'. It calculates the net charge somehow. It has a bunch of primary alarm features and secondary alarms.