Need to suppliment Solar with wind

mtjag
mtjag Registered Users Posts: 32 ✭✭✭
I have come to the conclusion that my solar will not be sufficent to provide my off-grid power needs and I need to look for a solar remedy. I am looking at the small wind generators and thinking an AirX might do the job.
Currenty, I have 48V system with a dozen 190watt Evergreen panels and an Outback VFX 3648 inverter. We have a lot of wind here and am looking for something that will provide some ancillary charging on cloudy days and at night.
If you have experience with the AirX or other small wind generator, I would appreciated you comments.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Need to suppliment Solar with wind

Step One: get yourself an anemometer and find out if you actually have enough consistent wind to make it worthwhile. Most sites either have insufficient wind speed which won't produce any significant power or have habitual gusts that will tear a turbine to pieces.

If you read through this wind section you will see certain commonalities such as small-scale wind doesn't work much of the time. This is usually due to bad site, poor in install (not clear enough around the turbine, not high enough mount), and the biggest problem of all; most of the turbines are over-rated pieces of junk.

It's very smart of you to look for the opinions of others who have already gone down that road. :D
  • mtjag
    Step One: get yourself an anemometer and find out if you actually have enough consistent wind to make it worthwhile. Most sites either have insufficient wind speed which won't produce any significant power or have habitual gusts that will tear a turbine to pieces.

If you read through this wind section you will see certain commonalities such as small-scale wind doesn't work much of the time. This is usually due to bad site, poor in install (not clear enough around the turbine, not high enough mount), and the biggest problem of all; most of the turbines are over-rated pieces of junk.

It's very smart of you to look for the opinions of others who have already gone down that road. :D

Hey, thanks much for the reply. I am seeking input from people on this forum. I installed an anemometer in August and have been monitoring wind speed. Unfortunately, my anemometer won't give me much as history, so I have to look at it daily. As I check it now, it is registering 1.6 mph, but we have just had about 8 days of 13 mph to 30 mph winds. Typically, we have 5 to 7mph on a regular basis.
    I am looking at a Missouri Wind and Power unit. Not very sophisticated, but looks durable and seems to function good at low wind speeds. Have you ever heard of them?
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

For that turbine look at the output at your 5 to 7 mph wind speed - it will be nuthin!

The turbine is most likely rated at 25 mph wind speed so it looks like it will do something.

They don't even provide a power curve that I could see - that is because they want you to see the 1500 watt and not the approximately 50 watt that it might produce at the low wind speed.

Often the wind speed is given in m/s - meters per second. 5 meters per second equals more or less 11 mph.

If you buy that make sure your wife wants a lawn ornament - that is all it is good for.

Russ
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭

Winds of 13-30 mph would produce some useful power. Only 5-7 mph would essentially provide nothing, because there just isn't enough energy in low winds.

Your turbine might be spinning at 7 mph (might even look fast), but power output would be worthless. My wind turbine doesn't even start producing anything until around 8 mph, and then it is a tiny amount. It doesn't really wake up until winds hit the teens. By 20mph, then it's really ramping up. Anything below 10mph is just good for impressing the neighbors with a spinning lawn ornament!

Edward
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

Before you spend thousands of dollars installing a wind tubine, spend a couple hundred to buy an GOOD Anemometer that can connect to a computer and and actually log wind data.

Looking at an anemometer once or twice a day doesn't not provide enough useful information. Chances are that most of the time you are looking at it because it seems particularly windy out.
    You need to know what the average wind speeds are, not the gusts.

Remember in addition to the turbine, you will also need a tower that is at least 30 feet taller than any trees or buildings within 100 feet. So you're probably looking at spending $1-2,000 on the tower.

Get an antenna mast to mount your anemometer on and put it at the same height in the same location that you plan on installing the turbine.
    Measure the wind speeds for AT LEAST a year. Measuring for a couple weeks now doesn't tell you what the wind speeds are like 3 months, 6 months, or 9 months from now.
  • MisterB
    MisterB Solar Expert Posts: 156 ✭✭
    mtjag wrote: »
    Hey, thanks much for the reply. I am seeking input from people on this forum. I installed an anemometer in August and have been monitoring wind speed. Unfortunately, my anemometer won't give me much as history, so I have to look at it daily. As I check it now, it is registering 1.6 mph, but we have just had about 8 days of 13 mph to 30 mph winds. Typically, we have 5 to 7mph on a regular basis.

I live in Northern New Mexico at 7200 feet less than an hour from the Colorado border. It looks like your low wind conditions are a bit less than mine which are generally 10-12mph. Since you already have solar, you are looking for a turbine to carry you through stormy cloudy weather and you should look at wind speeds in those conditions. If you don't get 20-30mph winds during a typical weather front moving through, I don't think having a turbine is going to make that big a difference. My rule of thumb for hybrid wind/solar systems is that wind and sun watts should be at least aproximately equal which means you're looking at a 2000 watt 48 volt turbine minimum. And you are going to need a tower high enough to actually get this wattage. Do a lot of wind speed measurments before you spend the money. I have a turbine in a site that would never work for a pure wind installation but is very good for solar and solar + wind is even better. If your site doesn't have enough wind to make a hybrid wind/solar system work, your money would be better spent on a generator backup system--especially if you run out of power from your solar system very rarely.
  • mtjag

Thanks all for the responses. I was able to get the history off of my anemometer from September 1st through April 6th: High gust was 46.3 MPH, Average wind speed was 4.9 MPH Also, the wind run is 24,841.9 miles (I've no idea what this refers to). My anemometer is mounted at 16' from ground level and 60' from my intended wind generator location. I intend to put my wind generator at 45' which would be approximately 29' higher than the roof peak of my home and surrounding trees (except to the north due to hill and ponderosa pines). However, practically all of our wind comes from the west and southwest.
    With those parameters, what are your thoughts?
    If it is doable, which is the best generator?
    You help is greatly appreciated.
    Johnny
  • MisterB

I would say your anemometer readings are on the low side. There is a difference in wind speed between 16' and 45'. There is a formula for adjusting wind speed readings to reflect height. I don't think it takes turbulence into account which you will certainly have a 16' It is in this video which also covers other issues of accurate wind speed measurments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86evT9ETyyI

There is actually a lot more out there in 2kw turbines than in 1kw and under. The HY2000 looks like a good one and very inexpensive but the support from the US distributer is nonexestant. I would avoid anything made by SW Windpower. For real quality and a controller that covers all the bases there is Bergey.

And look cloosely at wind speeds during weather moving in and out. Big winter storm fronts are usually preceded and followed by high winds. The winds from summer thunderstorms are not very good. They can reach very high speeds but these wind speeds usually only last a few minutes and these winds tend to be very local which means much more turbulent and gusty. But summer is when you should be getting a good solar harvest and you won't need the energy from the turbine all that much. The low wind speeds you get during calmer weather are just enough to produce a 1-3 amp trickle charge to your batteries at best.
  • mtjag
    MisterB wrote: »
    I would say your anemometer readings are on the low side. There is a difference in wind speed between 16' and 45'. There is a formula for adjusting wind speed readings to reflect height. I don't think it takes turbulence into account which you will certainly have a 16' It is in this video which also covers other issues of accurate wind speed measurments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86evT9ETyyI

There is actually a lot more out there in 2kw turbines than in 1kw and under. The HY2000 looks like a good one and very inexpensive but the support from the US distributer is nonexestant. I would avoid anything made by SW Windpower. For real quality and a controller that covers all the bases there is Bergey.

And look cloosely at wind speeds during weather moving in and out. Big winter storm fronts are usually preceded and followed by high winds. The winds from summer thunderstorms are not very good. They can reach very high speeds but these wind speeds usually only last a few minutes and these winds tend to be very local which means much more turbulent and gusty. But summer is when you should be getting a good solar harvest and you won't need the energy from the turbine all that much. The low wind speeds you get during calmer weather are just enough to produce a 1-3 amp trickle charge to your batteries at best.

That helps alot. So, based on the video, my average wind speed may be closer to 6.5 to 7mph at 45'. I am thinking that my anemometer is alos being influenced by the pinion pines around it (it is about 6' away from a pinon pine that is about a foot shorter than the anemometer.
    My total budget for getting this done is between $2500 and $3000 including install. I looked at the Bergey but was hoping to find something less expensive that will still do the job. I am relying primarily on my solar panels, but just need something that will trickle at night and on those days when it is cloudy.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

That is tough... Ideally, you are looking to put the turbine 30' or more above the treetops. And, it can be surprising how quickly trees grow--In ten years, how much growth will they put on (pinion pine is pretty slow growing isn't it?).

A neighbor has a Redwood in their back yard that has probably put on 10-20' in the last 6 years my solar array has been up... Getting more early morning shading.

Betting that eventually the neighbor will not want a 150' tree in a suburban back yard...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mtjag
    BB. wrote: »
    That is tough... Ideally, you are looking to put the turbine 30' or more above the treetops. And, it can be surprising how quickly trees grow--In ten years, how much growth will they put on (pinion pine is pretty slow growing isn't it?).

A neighbor has a Redwood in their back yard that has probably put on 10-20' in the last 6 years my solar array has been up... Getting more early morning shading.

Betting that eventually the neighbor will not want a 150' tree in a suburban back yard...

-Bill

Yes, the pinion pines here will maybe grow another 10" over the next 15 years are so, if that. We do have some ponderosa pines, but they are far enough away as to not be a problem except toward the north of my intended site. That side of the property is sloping higher on the hill than my house, so I would be limited on wind from that direction. However, we actually get very little wind from the north. The majority of wind comes from the west to southwest.
  • MisterB
    BB. wrote: »
    (pinion pine is pretty slow growing isn't it?).

-Bill

Extremely. I have 2 mature trees and several growing on my property. It takes years to see a few inches of growth.

My total budget for getting this done is between $2500 and $3000 including install.

That is not much money for a turbine install. I have over 1000 in hardware cost just replacing a low wattage turbine on a tower that has been up for years. $650 for the turbine, and the rest in cable, 3 phase boxes and other hardware. Labor not included in the total.
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    That helps alot. So, based on the video, my average wind speed may be closer to 6.5 to 7mph at 45'. I am thinking that my anemometer is alos being influenced by the pinion pines around it (it is about 6' away from a pinon pine that is about a foot shorter than the anemometer.
    My total budget for getting this done is between $2500 and $3000 including install. I looked at the Bergey but was hoping to find something less expensive that will still do the job. I am relying primarily on my solar panels, but just need something that will trickle at night and on those days when it is cloudy.

7mph average wind speed is roughly the middle of Class 1 winds (poor)

Most turbines aren't going to produce any usable energy below 12-15 mph. If you average more than 12 mph during storms and poor solar days, then you're golden. If not, you're wasting your money.

Including the cost of the tower, I'm not sure you can get anything other than a toy up for under $3,000

Not sure if you've seen this info or not:
    What to expect from wind turbines

Some DIY and other useful info/

How good are you at building things? Have you considered building your own turbine? The Huge Piggott design is supposed to be pretty good and you could do build one and the tower for possibly less than $2,000

Windmill plans
    Axial Flux generator construction
    Other info

Good luck, keep us posted.
  • russ

Unless you are on the top of the hill it is bad news for a wind turbine.

Where I live they have a chance down on the bay - 70 meters lower and a kilometer away.

On top the hill would probably be good - there is a commercial turbine farm not far away.

At my location a wind turbine has no chance.

Take a look at the Danish Wind Associations site - much good information about siting etc. http://www.talentfactory.dk/en/tour/wres/shelter/index.htm

Russ
  • mtjag
    Peter_V wrote: »
    7mph average wind speed is roughly the middle of Class 1 winds (poor)

Most turbines aren't going to produce any usable energy below 12-15 mph. If you average more than 12 mph during storms and poor solar days, then you're golden. If not, you're wasting your money.

Including the cost of the tower, I'm not sure you can get anything other than a toy up for under $3,000

Not sure if you've seen this info or not:
    What to expect from wind turbines

Some DIY and other useful info/[/URL
    How good are you at building things? Have you considered building your own turbine? The Huge Piggott design is supposed to be pretty good and you could do build one and the tower for possibly less than $2,000

Windmill plans
    Axial Flux generator construction
    Other info

Good luck, keep us posted.

Hey, this is great information. Of course, based on this, 99.9% of all the small generators advertised are worthless.
    I just calculated my air density at 8600' and it looks like based on my temperature right now at 38 degrees, my dew point at 17 and barometric pressure at 29.54, my air density is 0.057!!!!! It is amazing to me that at my current air speed of over 15 mph it still has the power to buffet my house and bend the trees. By the way, all the trees on my property are growing at an angle.
    Seems to me that I have a real problem with air density. I am feeling better about my wind though. Just looking back through the history of my aenometer, for this past winter, my actual wind speed is about 6.7 mph with wind gust up to 46.4 mph. The wind here typically works this way. In the morning, the wind is just mild around 2-3 mph. About 3-4pm, it increases to around 6-7 mph. Our high winds come at night many times with averages being around 14-18mph and that last until the sun rises. Currently, it is 5:54 am here and the wind is showing 18.3mph out of the southwest.
    Clearly, I will need a large diameter sweep to get anything out of a wind generator.

Has anyone looked at the Hurricane Wind Generator CAT 5 MARK 1...supposely has a dual output generator and nearly a 9' span? http://www.hurricanewindpower.com/servlet/the-Hurricane-Wind-Generator-Complete-Kit/Categories

Will you suggest a particular make/model that is reputable? Just looking for a complete kit that might possibly work here.
  • russ
    Hey, this is great information. Of course, based on this, 99.9% of all the small generators advertised are worthless.

Right - you figured it out - try these links for more information -

1) HomePower 2010 wind turbine buyers guide http://homepower.com/view/?file=HP137_pg44_Woofenden

2) Site Selection Guide http://www.solacity.com/SiteSelection.htm

3)Wind turbine listing http://www.allsmallwindturbines.com/

Russ
  • mtjag
    russ wrote: »
    Right - you figured it out - try these links for more information -

1) HomePower 2010 wind turbine buyers guide http://homepower.com/view/?file=HP137_pg44_Woofenden

2) Site Selection Guide http://www.solacity.com/SiteSelection.htm

3)Wind turbine listing http://www.allsmallwindturbines.com/

Russ

Thanks much for this, it really helped. However, these wind generators in this guide are beyond my budget.
    My solar panels are providing the majority of my electrical needs. It's just they need a little more boost on cloudy days to prevent me from running my genset to top off. I was hoping I would find a decent inexpensive wind solution that could make up the difference. Otherwise, I was going to add three solar panels to my existing array. I was just hoping to have something so that I was not 100% reliant on solar for my power. Looks like I hit the wall.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If you do not have a Honda eu1000i or eu2000i (assuming you are OK with pull start) with a good battery charger, I would suggest that you get one of these before a wind turbine...

There is something to be said for power on demand. You can charge your batteries when they need charging and help preserve your investment in them.

One person here says that he has over 6,000 hours on a eu1000i with just proper oil changes.

You should also use a gasoline preservative (I have read good things about "Sea Foam"). These gensets have small fuel passages and do not do well with old fuel.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • MisterB
    Thanks much for this, it really helped. However, these wind generators in this guide are beyond my budget.
    My solar panels are providing the majority of my electrical needs. It's just they need a little more boost on cloudy days to prevent me from running my genset to top off. I was hoping I would find a decent inexpensive wind solution that could make up the difference. Otherwise, I was going to add three solar panels to my existing array. I was just hoping to have something so that I was not 100% reliant on solar for my power. Looks like I hit the wall.

The 48v HY1000(around $1100) would work for the hybrid system you are proposing but the 48 2kw version($2500) would be better with the size of solar array you have. Anything less than 1kw is just going to be a trickle charge and not compensate for the loss of solar power during storms. This is assuming that the wind speeds during stormy, low solar periods reach the turbines rated wind speed--my experience in this part of the country is that they do but every site is unique and local geography has a big impact on wind speed. Using wind as a complement to an off grid solar system works well and this will work in a less than ideal wind site, but like anything, you should do a thorough cost/benefit analysis before spending money on it. I quite frankly enjoy having a wind turbine and it works well with the size of system I have but my system is small and energy conservation and load control are a big part of keeping things going on less than a kw of generating capacity.
  • mtjag

I already have a propane powered generator for back up. I am looking to be as free from fossil fuel as possible.
    I will certainly look at the HY1000. I heard these were Chinese made with old electric motors...is that not correct?

Hey, just had too new wind records today. Highest sustained wind today of 33.6 mph and highest wind gust of 53.9 mph. Currently, the wind is 13.8 mph.
  • MisterB

The HY Turbines are Chinese made and have really good 3 phase alternators. In the US they are sold as Windmax and Powermax. They are well made and come with a controller that but the main issue with them is the US reseller doesn't give any real support or warranty--unless you have the turbine professionally installed. This is the site: http://www.greenpower4less.com/index.html
  • keyturbocars

mtjag,

The HY wind turbines are not old electric motors. They are well designed and well built generators specifically designed for wind. I bought a Chinese wind turbine in the past that was junk. I could see trouble from the moment I took it out of the shipping crate. It failed. On the other hand, I was very impressed with the quality fit and finish of my HY wind turbine when I first took it out of the crate, and I continue to be impressed with it.

Edward
  • mtjag
    mtjag,

The HY wind turbines are not old electric motors. They are well designed and well built generators specifically designed for wind. I bought a Chinese wind turbine in the past that was junk. I could see trouble from the moment I took it out of the shipping crate. It failed. On the other hand, I was very impressed with the quality fit and finish of my HY wind turbine when I first took it out of the crate, and I continue to be impressed with it.

Edward

Thanks much for that information as I needed first hand experience for that. I have 16-DEKA 8L 370AH batteries currently being charged by 12-190Watt Evergreen panels through an Outback VFX3648 inverter with a Flexmate 60 CC and a Mate panel. Your info shows you have a heat diversion set up for your hot water. Currently, I have a propane boiler and a Rinnii hot water heater that is about to be fronted with a heat exchanger each from a Central Outdoor Wood Boiler. In determining the extra need for generation from the wind turbine, I am considering exchanging the heat exchanger for an 80 gal. hot water tank instead to suppliment the domestic hot water via the Rinnii unit. That way, I could have redundancy in my domestic hot water and may not have to burn as much wood.
    My goal is to be as free from propane as possible. On average up to now, I have to run my propane generator about 15 hours per month for energy supplimentation.
    Your thoughts on what I need for a complete install of the a wind turbine and which one to use...the HY1000 or the HY2000? We do have high wind gusts up to 53 mph at times, and our normal wind is about 6.4mph. Those measurements are at 16' high among some pinions that are about 12'. I plan on mounting the wind turbine at 45' about 50' from the batteries.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Johnny
  • BilljustBill
    BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    I have come to the conclusion that my solar will not be sufficent to provide my off-grid power needs and I need to look for a solar remedy. I am looking at the small wind generators and thinking an AirX might do the job.
    Currenty, I have 48V system with a dozen 190watt Evergreen panels and an Outback VFX 3648 inverter. We have a lot of wind here and am looking for something that will provide some ancillary charging on cloudy days and at night.
    If you have experience with the AirX or other small wind generator, I would appreciated you comments.

Seeing your location, and its high altitude, be sure to ask the win/gen dealer if you need "High Altitude Blades". Usually the higher altitude you are, the thinner the air, so the longer, wider, or deep pitch of the blades. Also, I'd look for a design that had answers to control blade speed in those high North winds and one that addressed shutting down due to out of balance issues of ice buildup on the blades

Here in North Central Texas, and at a low wind classification between Class 1 and Class 2, I'm at 1,000' above sea level. The altitude wasn' the problem, but seasonal air temp was. The old Enertech 1800 I had, was factory set to cut-in 10mph. In average and cold weather that was good for minimum charging, but when the summer temps kicked in with 90's and 100+, I had to adjust it so it would begin charging in hotter 12 mph winds...
    Bill
  • keyturbocars

Johnny,

It sounds like you get some strong winds during wind storms, but if your average winds are 6.4mph, then you will have a spinning turbine but no useful power production. I'd sure hate to see someone invest the time and money into a wind turbine only to discover it was a mistake. Even I wish my wind turbine would produce more power on most days. I am planning to add solar to make up for this shortcoming of wind power.

I'm not saying that wind power is bad, but you can spend a lot of money and not get very much back in return if you are not in a very good wind area.

From a practical standpoint, the HY-1000 is a much lighter and more manageable turbine to set up. The HY-2000 (or HY-3000) weigh around 150lbs and require some extra effort to mount on the tower. A 5 bladed HY-3000 is supposed to be a little better at lower winds, but it costs around $3300 last I saw. Even the HY-3000 will not produce anything useful at 6-7mph winds.

Edward
  • mtjag
    Johnny,

It sounds like you get some strong winds during wind storms, but if your average winds are 6.4mph, then you will have a spinning turbine but no useful power production. I'd sure hate to see someone invest the time and money into a wind turbine only to discover it was a mistake. Even I wish my wind turbine would produce more power on most days. I am planning to add solar to make up for this shortcoming of wind power.

I'm not saying that wind power is bad, but you can spend a lot of money and not get very much back in return if you are not in a very good wind area.

From a practical standpoint, the HY-1000 is a much lighter and more manageable turbine to set up. The HY-2000 (or HY-3000) weigh around 150lbs and require some extra effort to mount on the tower. A 5 bladed HY-3000 is supposed to be a little better at lower winds, but it costs around $3300 last I saw. Even the HY-3000 will not produce anything useful at 6-7mph winds.

Edward

Edward,
    Thanks much for the direction. I am beginning to think that perhaps I would be better off adding the three solar panels to complete my system and forget the wind turbine. I kept thinking with the wind we have, it made sense to have a wind turbine, but there are far too many variables that my particular location may or may not address.
    Again, I do appreciate your insight. I believe I will go with more solar panels.
    Johnny
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I just read this thread cover to cover, and my intuition is that you are trying to talk yourself into doing small scale wind, in spite of the increasing opinion of those on this site, many of whom have been there done that. I have found over the years that people often tend to talk themselves into wind despite the reality.

My humble suggestion is, take the $2-3000, and go and by another 1-2 kw of PV, which by your own experience you can calculate to the kwh how much power you can harvest on a daily/monthly/annual basis.

A quick PV watts for S. Colorado,2 kw of PV derated to 52% will yield a consistent ~ 180 kwh/month or about 6 kwh day. I would personally bet the farm that you would get way better net harvest, cheaper with additional PV instead of a $3,000 wind system. I would double that bet if I included the 10 year cost, and triple it for 20 years.

If you are only getting under 10 mph average, you will be installing an expensive lawn toy,

Sorry to sound so negative, but that is my opinion, and of course worth every penny you paid for it!

Good luck and keep in touch,

Tony
  • keyturbocars
    Edward,
    Thanks much for the direction. I am beginning to think that perhaps I would be better off adding the three solar panels to complete my system and forget the wind turbine. I kept thinking with the wind we have, it made sense to have a wind turbine, but there are far too many variables that my particular location may or may not address.
    Again, I do appreciate your insight. I believe I will go with more solar panels.
    Johnny

Johnny,

I think that you will be much happier with the additional solar power.

Good luck,

Edward
  • mtjag

Thanks Edward and to everyone else that offered their experience on this thread. I am settled on adding the three pv panels instead of the wind turbine.
    Thanks again.
    Johnny
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you. We wern't going to drop it till you caved in:D
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,