OutBack MX60 AUX Programming

Options
Hello: I have an older model MX60 controlling a 1KW array. I programmed the AUX output to control a relay which applies power to my grid powered chargers in the event that its a cloudy day as well as night time. My MX60 provides 12volts or 0 volts depending on programming. I programmed it to activate when the battery voltage dropped too low and to deactivate once the battery is charged. Out of the box brand new the AUX would give me 0 volts when the battery low condition was met and 12V when the battery charged condition was met. This was the opposite of what I wanted so I went into the "optimization" menu and found a place called "Auxilliary Polarity" which let me chose either "active high" or "active low"where I could invert these conditions. Now everything works perfectly and my power relay with a 12V coil gets energized at a low battery condition and deenergized when the battery is high.

I sold an MX60 to a customer who is planning to get solar panels in the future but for now just wants the AUX output to start his generator when the battery is low and shut off the generator once the battery is full. However this newer version MX60 does not allow the same settings as mine above. I called OutBack and they said I hadn't read the manual correctly and that this setting was available in the menu however after reading it 4 times with friends it cannot be done. To work I need to have the 12V relay electrified all the time and it only drops out when the low voltage point is reached. I can make this work but 2 things bother me, firstly the power wasted and secondly if the relay coil ever burns out then the generator would start.

Am I missing something in the manual? Have any of you dealt with this issue?

Thanks
John

Comments

• Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: OutBack MX60 AUX Programming

I use the Aux on mine and mine is set to turn on when it hits absorb, I haven't had a problem with it. I do know at one time I swapped mine as you said so it was on all the time and shut off when it hit low voltage. If they disabled that feature its news to me, mine still can be switched.

As far as leaving it on all the time if that is what you need, than it has to be on. You could wire it backwards so it turned on a second relay that was normally closed and then opened, but that would add a failure point. I wouldn't be concerned about power usage on that tiny relay, but I suppose that tiny relay could eventually fail.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Just a guess, but you may have a communication problem. The new charge controller model is FM60, not MX60. If you asked about the MX, that's the answer you'd get.

However, having just spent some time looking through both manual in an attempt to get your answer I see almost no difference in the manuals. This is curious. Both report the "Optimize" subset under Advanced, but neither goes in to detail on it.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe that what you are looking for is the "Active High" vs. "Active Low" selection.

That just inverts the output state for a given Aux function.

For instance, if a function normally makes the Aux output go to 12 Volts when the battery went above a set point,
    changing it to Active Low would instead make the Aux output go to zero Volts when the battery went above the set point.
    That way you don't have to have an additional relay operating in a normally closed (or normally open) mode.

Is this kind of what you are thinking of ? I don't know if the FM units' allow this or not. I seem to remember that OB
    took it out and then added it back in again.

boB
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    Options

If you don't have the option in software send the output to a SPDT relay with normally closed and normally open connections.

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm#demo