Energy prices

Options
Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
Take this with a grain of salt, as no one really can predict the future. Least of all "experts".
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/electric-shocker-power-prices-rise-sharply-consumers-bear-20110330-175057-378.html

For one thing, BC Hydro's 30% rate hike will bring electric all the way up to thirteen cents per kW hour. I bet some of you would consider that really cheap!

The irony is of course that conservation has eaten into the profits necessitating an increase in rates to make up the difference. On our last gas bill, $3 was gas. The other $17 "fees".

Comments

• AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Energy prices
    For nine years, Hull shined two spotlights every night on a public walkway next to his house because the city refused to install any illumination. Then last year, his average hydro bill surged from $76 a month to $100 — while his pension benefits inched up $240 for all of 2010. "I said enough is enough, I’m not lighting that anymore."

Hull said he's taken a host of other conservation measures, like replacing incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescents, replacing every window and door with less drafty ones, and retrofitting his home's insulation.

Good! You see? For 9 years this guy was wasting electricity because it was too cheap. Now that the party is over, he is getting serious about efficiency. This is why I do want higher energy prices. Because it's the only way to persuade average stupid to quit wasting power.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I guess in Ohio that First Energy wants you to waste energy. One thing they are doing for thier customers is sending them a package of new CFL light bulbs and adding 80 cents on thier electric bill for 3 years to help pay for them. Preety expensive light bulbs, Huh! Another person I know in Ohio has a groundsource heatpump and did some energy conservation and his electric bill went up. He used less energy but the uped his rate. He called him for an explanation. If you want a cheaper rate you need to use more electric. So he took all the cfl bulbs out and put the incandesants back in and installed a couple mercury lights and don,t worry about conservation any more. His monthly electric bill went lower because they gave him a lower rate on his electric. :Dsolarvic:D
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    solarvic wrote: »
    I guess in Ohio that First Energy wants you to waste energy. One thing they are doing for thier customers is sending them a package of new CFL light bulbs and adding 80 cents on thier electric bill for 3 years to help pay for them. Preety expensive light bulbs, Huh! Another person I know in Ohio has a groundsource heatpump and did some energy conservation and his electric bill went up. He used less energy but the uped his rate. He called him for an explanation. If you want a cheaper rate you need to use more electric. So he took all the cfl bulbs out and put the incandesants back in and installed a couple mercury lights and don,t worry about conservation any more. His monthly electric bill went lower because they gave him a lower rate on his electric. :Dsolarvic:D

That is just stupid, OMG! I think those days are numbered. My utility continues to increment rates about 11% annually, adjusts the on peak plans by driving people off the grandfathered rate structure.

I am fortunate that my bill is still ZERO this year.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can't wait for "them" - "Big Brother" to require meters on off grid instalations so we can pay in taxes to extend electrical lines....

...No really!

bet, anyone wanna'?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Some places meter private well pumps.

I have seen cities that require garbage service even if you don't have any garbage. One guy had gone 100% recycling and he had to go through a whole bunch of hoops for being green and wanting to pay for a service he did not use.

In California, if you already have electrical service and choose to go off grid (disconnect from utility), the utility has the right to charge you for going off grid (they made investments in generators and distribution systems that are now stranded).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I can't wait for "them" - "Big Brother" to require meters on off grid instalations so we can pay in taxes to extend electrical lines....

STOP GIVING them ideas !!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,