TriStar-45 Firmware update issues

Hey all,

I've got a new TriStar-45 with software version 13. Before I permanently install the system, I thought I would update the firmware to their latest load 15 as it enables some historic logging of data.

I am using their MSLoad firware utility. As I read their manual, it indicates I must first update the bootloader and then the firmware. When I start MSLoad, and select the boat load and Com Port (#1 in my case), the utility is never able to connect to the TS-45.

I have confirmed that the Com Port is correct and working -- if I use their MSView utility, it is able to connect to the TS-45. The MSLoad utility never connects to do the update. I have tried a couple of laptops, have restarted both the laptop and the TS-45 but it never works. Anyone have any tips or hints to get this to work?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: TriStar-45 Firmware update issues

Is this the PWM or the MPPT tristar ? For the MPPT version, I abandoned the modbus adapter I ordered, and programmed vis serial port, via a usb adapter on my PC.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• TenMile
    TenMile Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭

Figured it out with the help of Morningstar support. TSM-45 must be turned OFF initially. Open the MSLoad program, Choose the appropriate file and Com Port then click Next. Then turn ON the TSM-45 while MSLoad is searching for the unit. Updates then apply. Unit must be restarted for updates to take effect.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I have followed the Morningstar instructions numerous times. Each attempt I get the big red X. I have asked Morningstar tech support for help. I have not yet heard from them.