Xantrex XW - Charge Block Necessary?

Options
I have a Xantrex XW4024 inverter plus XW charge controller and the XW contol panel.

Sell to grid is enabled. When the sun is down, the inverter keeps my batteries floating. When the sun comes up and the charge controller starts up, the inverter keeps floating the batteries. I have to set a time for 'Charge Block ON' (say 9AM) for the inverter to hand over the floating to the charge controller and to start selling to the grid.

I would have thought, that this "handing over" of battery charging should be automatic as soon as there is enough sun light.

Is this how it is supposed to be?

Elke

Comments

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex XW - Charge Block Necessary?

Not sure why they don't quite coordinate as they should, but you could, for now anyway, adjust the charging voltage on the solar CC (XW 60 ?) charger slightly higher than the grid charger (or grid charger lower V than CC) so the solar takes precedence during the day.

boB
  • Elke
    Elke Solar Expert Posts: 28
    Options
    Re: Xantrex XW - Charge Block Necessary?

Thanks boB. I will try that as soon as the rain lets up!

As you probably know, there is a problem with using charge block all the time during day time. On a rainy day neither the inverter nor the charge controller keeps the batteries flaoting. Instead the batteries are slowly discharged while they keep the XW 60 charge controller warm. Even though I have the utility grid, which could do all that.

Elke