Exeltech MCX/ICX inverter/charger experience?

jpistrit
jpistrit Registered Users Posts: 11
Hi there, anyone have experience with the new Exeltech MCX/ICX units? These look like their XP series inverters but have a charger function as well.

I have an XP1100 that is in service, i'm building a 2nd system and wondered if i could simplify by using one of these units.

Thank you
-jcp-
n3ckf

Comments

• Saggys
    Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    11 years later and not much info on Exeltech's website. I thought it was a new product and it looked promising as an off grid inverter with built in charger and remote display panel. Has anyone else noticed that Midnite Solar rack mount inverters that may or may not be available yet look awfully similiar to Exeltech MX series inverters?
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 #3
    Saggy, interesting analogy. 

We knew about some of the old Exeltech MX inverters years before and they did have modules sort of like the B17 inverters we are working on.  Their inverters as I remember though are quite different in that they don't do solar and do not charge from the grid or generators I don't think ?

Did that Exeltech series have a wiring compartment included too ?  I have not looked in years.
    I also don't remember if the modules were hot-swappable ? 

I think that Exeltech is one of the very few 120V DC capable inverters out there, too.  I knew a guy (OutBack customer) on the east coast that had several of those and used the MX60s wired up to charge each 60V half of his 120VDC battery bank used with those inverters.

boB 🌜
  • Saggys
    edited May 2022 #4
    boB,

You are correct, as far as I know the MX series do not have SCC or grid charge ability. They are hot-swappable and can be expanded in 1kw increments to 20kw.

No wiring compartments either. We use them at work in our telecom buildings and I was able to get an older XP series that we removed from service.

I did a little research on them, ordered the low idle current option (ferrite bar across output choke) and the option 20 card (relay on inverter output) that allows a generator to provide power to house loads thru relay and power an external battery charger while the output of the inverter idles unloaded. I am really impressed with this little inverter, it powers loads like my well pump very easy.
  • Saggys
    Talked to Exeltech today, said they are 6 months to a year out from the certs needed for the charger portion for the inverter.