Storage of Backup Solar, Panels, Inverters, Charge Controllers

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well I've known batteries have a finite life, used or not, and I understand some aging in sodering will in time will create problems with some electronics, but I just read in another thread about a 30 year old inverter likely having it's capacitors(? Caps) dry out.

So what is the proper way to store backups? Mine are wrapped in plastic, but not sealed, and largely in unheated or cooled storage.

I even have some older solar panels stored, sans plastic, the same way. Is there a better way to store them? I have 2 back up inverters and 1 MSW I replaced, a couple charge controllers I've out grown all stored this way.

I have a charge controller thats 25-30 years old that was working fine when taken out of service 4 years ago. What is the expected life of these electronics, 1 of the inverters is a Prosine, at one time I thought these were recomended for marine use, though it appears Xantrex pretty much says all their inverters are fine for marine use. Any difference?
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Storage of Backup Solar, Panels, Inverters, Charge Controllers

Pretty much any electrical device does not want too much heat or humidity, whether in storage or not.
    Cool, dry, and in the dark is probably the best bet for long-term storage. Even with that it's a bit of a crap shoot.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i wouldn't worry about it too much as i doubt you intend to try to keep yours in storage for 30yrs. parts can always fail on their own without even being used and they all will one day fail regardless. the stress of use can increase those odds though. it's akin to driving a car as you'll soon find the problems while you drive, but a stored car goes sour too. if stored, as coot said, keep the elements away from them as best as you can, but also keep small animals and insects from having access to anything as well. this is well documented on nearly every electronic item that many people blow past in the instructions. it is basically called the care of the product with dos and don'ts. it pretty well boils down to some common sense in that to help keep something as it is you must not subject it to unnecessary abuses. i understand that some abuses you may not think of readily, but components can still fail no matter what you do or don't do. many fail before they even go off the assembly line, but luckily they catch most of those and fix the bad components before you buy it.

it really isn't worth worrying about too much and what would be the sense in purposely storing something, for say that 30yrs, without using it? it is liable to work fine, but i would not want to count on something to work after 30yrs in storage. i don't think that would be your intention as i'm sure you buy the things you buy to use sometime in the near future of your life. a few years i don't believe will matter much if well taken care of. does this make any sense to you guys?
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Well I've known batteries have a finite life, used or not, and I understand some aging in sodering will in time will create problems with some electronics, but I just read in another thread about a 30 year old inverter likely having it's capacitors(? Caps) dry out.

So what is the proper way to store backups? Mine are wrapped in plastic, but not sealed, and largely in unheated or cooled storage.

If these are backups for existing systems, you might just try swapping your online and backup parts every year or so.

Electrolytic caps will last longer if they are periodically exposed to an electrical charge.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter_V wrote: »
    Electrolytic caps will last longer if they are periodically exposed to an electrical charge.

Thasks, good to know, I was going to set a 2nd unused invert in my Electric cabnet, just in case, but now I have 2 charge controllers, may be time to build an addition....lol
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

in the case of 'just in case' then you'd want to know it works periodically even to keep an eye for the warranty's window of time.