Panel mounting on sailboat

Options
tidetim
tidetim Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
Have three Kyocera 135 panels which are going to be mounted on a stainless steel arch at the stern of my sailboat. The two connected arch bars (1 1/2" diameter) are about 13" apart which means they will hang out forward and aft a bit. Haven't found any mounting brackets that will work with these larger size tubes and allow relatively easy removal in the case of a really big storm. I don't really care about the ability to tilt the panels, just want them secure. My fabricator can make me some but if I can find ones on the market, that would probably save both time and expense.
Thanks!
Tim

Comments

• rnjpinz
    rnjpinz Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options
    Re: Panel mounting on sailboat

I am in the same process as you. I however do not have an arch. I am putting 2 135's on my davit system. I have not been able to find any mounting brackets large enough and have had to fabricate mine, however, I am not saying there aren't some out there. Curious, what size cable you are running to your charge controler?

Bob
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

One other warning/design comment... Make sure your arch system is physically rigid. The solar panels cannot take any twisting as they will immediately shatter (~1/8" tempered glass).

Your arch system must be designed to not twist when it supports the solar panels and not rely on any structural strength of the panel frames to provide overall rigidity.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Elmer T
    Elmer T Registered Users Posts: 14
    Options

I am also in the process of mounting 3 Kyocera 135 watt panels on an arch that I had made for our sailboat. The arch itself is 1 1/2" SS tubing, but the support frame for the panels is standard 1" SS tubing. It attaches to the top of the arch and is centered, then you use "rail clamps" available at West Marine, that attach to both the 1" tubing, and to the underside of the panel, using long pieces of alunimum. The 1" SS frame itself is made so it can be positioned either forward or aft, it's adjustable. Let me know if you need any more information.
  • tidetim
    tidetim Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Options

The arch is like Elmer's, 1 1/2" tubes so is very rigid. It will hold not just the panels, but serve as a dingy davit. I don't want to have to put more 1" tubes on the arch so need to mount the panels on what I have.

Bob, any way you can send me a photo of your homemade brackets? My e-mail is: tidetim@msn.com

Thanks to all for your help.
    Tim