Xantrex XW MPPT 80 A 600 V

solarvic
solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
Got my homepower magazine today and there is an ad for the new 600 volt charge controler. Anyone know the particulars on it yet, or who is selling it? Sounds like a controller I might want. I want to use an unused sw 4024 I have to power some circuits and use as a backup for power outages. Had 2 power outages in less than a week that lasted over 10 hours. Seems like the electric co. doesn,t keep the trees trimmed on the power right of ways like they used to. :Dsolarvic:D

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex XW MPPT 80 A 600 V

that's kind of odd that they wouldn't say who makes it, but i believe xantrex was supposed to come out with a 600v cc. the classic is in production and is shipping out for models up to 250v.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex XW MPPT 80 60

In the ad they are identifying it by the Xantrex name, but on the bottom of page it says Schneider Electric. I changed out my fronius ig 2000 inverter for a fronius 3.0 IG- plus inverter. Have10 panels I could run in one string with either my fronius gt inverter or the off grid inverter I have. Was checking the midnight controler and I couldn,t do that with one of them. :Dsolaevic:D
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Schneider owns Xantrex... They are playing with the branding ID.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Any day now the California distribution center will have stock. I just loaded firmware version 1.01 onto the test unit I have been running for the last nine months. There have not been any real issues with any of the units I have tested.
    A nice addition to the XW system!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Dave, About what Voc have you been feeding the XW 80 600 ?

boB
  • Dave Angelini
    boB wrote: »
    Hey Dave, About what Voc have you been feeding the XW 80 600 ?

boB

I used a bunch of them! My highest was 400vmp that hit 500 overnight. Before they did the shade tolerant algorithm I had 10 35v panels in a string. I had some loss with that as 2 of the panels were fixed and the other 8 were tracked. It did much better later when they tweeked.

I used the dupont film panels to get my high voltage. I now run 280V and I am getting very simlar power from the -60 on a second identical tracked array.

https://picasaweb.google.com/campososolar/Feb282011#

The last picture in this link is from yesterday.

• Suresa
    Suresa Registered Users Posts: 6

Does anyone know if this controller is compatible with the SW4024?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Suresa wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this controller is compatible with the SW4024?

Define "compatible".
    Basically, any charge controller that will work with the system Voltage is compatible, as inverters are not dependent on charge controllers for their function. Nor vice versa.

The only issue that arises is in the matter of communication between units, as in using the Xanbus (or whatever it's called - I'm an OB fan myself) to share data such as battery temp and Voltage set points between the charge controller and inverter/charger. I'd suspect the older units might have a problem with newer equipment there.

Some Xantrex aficionado will no doubt be along soon to give us the word on this. :D
  • Dave Angelini

Yes, what Marc said!

• Suresa

My thanks to everyone for the quick replies. My SW4024 system currently has 16 Unisolar 64 modules, along with 16 Surrette batteries, producing only 1024 W. I would like to add perhaps another 18 Mage 190 modules, which I think the inverter could handle, and I am familiar with the use of string sizing calculators for inverters that are non-battery, but I have not been able to locate a string sizer for the SW4024. If anyone can direct me to a site, it would be really a help!
  • BB.

Is not the SW 4024 an Inverter/Charger? The string sizer would be for the MPPT solar charge controller (what charges the battery bank)...

The string sizer for Grid Tied inverters are different than your off grid inverter (even if it has a GT module)... The GT inverter connects directly to the solar panels so you have to setup the array to feed the GT inverter.

What charge controller do you have or are planning to add to your system?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Suresa

Although it does have batteries, it also has the GT module, and is presently connected into the grid. I was planning to use the Xantrex XW MPPT 80 60 in order to keep the voltage high and keep the wire gauge to a mimimum. Does Xantrex have a string sizer for this charge controller?
  • BB.

Yes they do... At least for the XW MPPT 60 amp version (don't see any other there yet).

This is a deep link to their site--I have problems navigating there through their menu system in FireFox... Also, they set it up so that we cannot direct link without playing games:

Schneider Renewable Energy Systems
    XW MPPT Charger String Sizing Tool

Note: The Sizing Tool link is to the Tool Itself, not to the the frame/container for Schneider stuff... (I have stripped all of the additional frame/template stuff).

They have a pretty nice sizing tool... I use it all the time to help others here.

-Bill
  • Suresa

Thanks again for the help and direction. This was exactly what I was looking for!
  • Suresa

Just one more question on this controller........I was planning to run two strings of modules, each with 366 Vmp and 5.19 Imp, to the controller. Could I also add one additional string of 264 Vmp and 3.88 Imp, or will that adversely affect the MPPT tracking function of the controller, due to the different input? Thank you for your help with this!
  • BB.

No, you cannot... When you add panel strings in parallel, the Vmp should match, or at least, miss-match Vmp by 10% or less.

When you parallel strings with Vmp>~10% difference, you will loose significant power output. Both because the voltage does not match (imagine paralleling a 6 volt and 12 volt solar panel --At 6 volts, you are not using the full voltage of the 12 volt panel, and at 12 volts, the 6 volt panel will not supply any power at all).

Remember that Power = Voltage * Current -- The controller is trying to adjust current to find the peak Power from that equation.

Also, you may confuse the MPPT algorithm... There are two or three power peaks (something like 6 volt, 7 volt, and 12 volt in the above example)--and MPPT charge controllers are not usually programmed to look for the largest peak.

-Bill
  • Dave Angelini

Bill is giving sage advice. I did some testing casually with different strings because it was easy to do at the time. The only thing I would add was that if over 60% of the arrays were similar the dissimilar array did not adverslely affect the MPV. I also tried this with tracked and non tracked to simulate over 100 degrees of mismatch pointing at the sun.

The point is, an extra array with the wrong parrameters may be not as big of a problem if it is reasonable. You will get more power but you will never get what a good design would deliver. It may not matter in some cases as if you have the solar why not use it. The algorithm is very fast and has intelligence to produce the most power that is there. It never picked a lower power for me, never! It also played very nicely with the low voltage controller and is really fast at responding to load changes.

• Suresa

Hi Bill and Dave,

Thanks for your quick replies. I currently have a 24 volt system consisting of 16 Unisolar 64 modules producing 1024 watts, connected to a SW4024 inverter with a C-40 charge controller. Since I will be adding 2 strings 10 Mage 190 modules to my system, it looks like it you are advising that it would be best for me to leave the Unisolars connected to the same old charge controller, and only use the new Xantrex XW 80 600 for the two new strings of Mage. Do you agree? Thanks!
  • BB.

Assuming you are happy with the C-40 and Unisolar panels--Yep... Just parallel the new Charge Controller to the existing battery bank +/- bus connections.

-Bill
  • XWGuy
    XWGuy Registered Users Posts: 15

I would have to agree with Bill. That much of a mismatch on the string Vmp would not be recommended. The unit would likely start operating at the 264Vmp, which would mean you would have an overall drop in system power because the high voltage string would now be operating 100 volts lower (without much of an increase in current from the high voltage string) than if the two string types were on separate controllers.
  • Dave Angelini

Agree on the two controllers and good design practice, but it was not that bad and if you only had one controller it certainly would not hurt to try. To the OP, I would lose the C40 for something else like the low voltage controller on a network with the HV one.

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can a moderator edit the thread title to be
    Xantrex XW MPPT 80 600
    instead of
    Xantrex XW MPPT 80 60
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Can a moderator edit the thread title to be
    Xantrex XW MPPT 80 600
    instead of
    Xantrex XW MPPT 80 60

Your wish is my command! :p

Besides it makes it more accurate for searches, eh?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks!

(this line is wasted space, but my post was too short without it)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini

An update on shipping. These units are getting out. My customer recieved his 2 units and I have one that showed up in the back of a pick-up full of hay.

• boB

How come there doesn't appear to be anything on the Xantrex or Schneider site about these units ??

In fact, it looks like the Xantrex site doesn't have ANY of the XW stuff on it.
    Must be one of those branding things. You would think that if you did a search for XW on the Xantrex site that SOMETHING would show up... But it doesn't.

Only on the Schneider site. I remember when Xantrex took over Trace Engineering, they didn't want anything to do with that name. I think they were jealous at the time of Trace but that's a whole different story.

boB
  • Dave Angelini

It is in most of the trade magazines! My rep at Solar Depot did not have any problems.

• XWGuy
    XWGuy Registered Users Posts: 15

The Xantrex name is going to being kept by the Mobile division of the company. The xantrex website therefore only shows products made and sold by the Mobile division. The renewable products are part of Schneider Electric's portfolio, so the XW product line can be found there. The XW MPPT 80 600 information will be posted on the site shortly.
  • boB
    It is in most of the trade magazines! My rep at Solar Depot did not have any problems.

Yes, I see that but it is only an ad for this product. You would think that the company would have that product on their web site too. I think they are just
    slow on this one and it will eventually be on their site too. The manuals for products are online, right ? The manual for this CC should eventually also be up there.
    That's something that probably won't be in a magazine.

Thanks,
    boB
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

XWGuy, nice to see you here. In days of old, there was even a Xantrex Forum ... I'm dating myself.

It IS astonishing to me that if one searches the Schneider site (that I can find), there is absolutely NO info on this new CC. From all appearances, the BIG S does not even know that this product exists!

Schenider is a mammoth company, and even for the XW SCC, the greyness of the product was very evident. Nothing at all adventureous.

Not to dwell. I could be a customer for this new CC, but am certain that it will be even greyer than the XW SCC. Not to pick on Mammoths too much.

Am happy that, perhaps, possibly, this secret product is shipping (perhaps). Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.