hello from ontario

Options
great looking site you have with tons of info.wanted to read up on solar power since our hydro is going to increase 25% over the next 5 years.not sure to start building an off the grid system or a grid tied system.the ontario government sure made a mess of the program they offered so i better keep on reading.

cheers. :confused:

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: hello from ontario

If you have grid power, then a pure off-grid system is a pretty expensive solution for a problem you do not have.

If you have frequent/long power outages and they allow net metered (of FIT) in your area, a Hybrid system (Grid Tied/Off Grid for emergency power) can be an interesting solution.

A pure Grid Tied system is the least expensive ($$$/kWH) system you can install and has the least amount of maintenance requirements/costs. However, it sounds like your power company has put a cap on new GT connections for now...

The other solution if you have "rare" and relatively short power outages (days or week or two), a backup genset can be a good solution. However, if you have an all electric home (hot water, heating, cooking, etc.)--Gensets and Solar are pretty expensive.

Conservation, conversion to natural gas/propane/etc. for heating and/or using solar/genset to run a minimum amount of electrical loads will reduce the size of system and reduce backup fuel storage needs.

In general, ignoring FIT ($0.85 per kWH Feed In Tariffs), conservation is almost always a better investment into your home/business before spending on a solar PV system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

thanks for the reply BB.i was under the impression that money could be saved by going solar power.after reading up on the facts i see that it is just not possible.we currently have a hi-eff gas furnace,gas water heater,bbq,dryer,range and a garage heater.changed out the old electric appliances for new and went to all CFC light bulbs.when we did this 3 years ago i got the hydro bill down to 90 bux a month,now its crept back up to 130 bux a month.seems a guy just cant win can he?anthow power outage is rarely a problem here,was just trying to figure out a way to further lessen the hydro bill.

cheers;)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

IF you can get Grid Tied with 1 year net metering (or the FIT program), you can save money if you have expensive power rates...

In my area, they run from $0.09 per kWH to $0.44+ per kWH (residential Time of Use, tiered--more power you use, the higher rate you pay).

If you have subsidies for GT solar, you can get the rates down in the $0.15 per kWH or less range these days--but you have to pay the installation costs up front.

If you use the FIT program with $0.85 per kWH or so payback from the utility, you still have to trust that the utility/government will pay the FIT rates for XX years into the future. Looking at what is happening in Europe--that may not be a good bet.

Going back to using a kill-a-watt meter (individual appliances) or a T.E.D. equivalent (for whole home) can really help you identify the costly loads... In the end though, you have to decide what is worth cutting vs what is worth paying for.

Power usage is a highly personal matter. And solar is not cheap.

If you are into solar projects, there is a thread here that has a whole bunch of random information and links that may give you some ideas. Solar Thermal projects are great DIY type projects and can really save you a bunch of money... Downside is the plumbing, tanks, pumps, which all seem take fiddling to address leaks, aging, air locks, etc.

Working Thread for Solar Beginner Post/FAQ

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Plott Hound
    What's your daily kwhr consumption? It's easy to find now with the H1 website (or look at your meter numbers). I went off grid 6 years ago with a usage of about 7kwhr per day. Home system is 2.1kw pv and a 1kw wind turbine plus diesel genset.

I think net metering would be the best use of R/E dollars. I'm in between with a microFIT and sort of off grid (using H1 as generator now, diesel as backup).

Ralph