Honda eu2000 woes

Last weekend my Honda 2000 shut down and we discovered oil underneath the unit. It had been operating all night here in Alaska, running camper lights and the heater. The outside temperature that night was -31 F. When it shut down, the temperature was -16 F. We had been running it for the three nights prior with temps ranging from -26 F to +12 F. A friend told me there has been a problem with breathing due to ice build up in the crankcase venting. He said the ice builds up and then the case blows the seal. Has anyone experienced this before and what was the cost to fix it? Thanks!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Honda eu2000 woes

About all I can help you with:

From another forum I read (candlepowerforums.com) this place came recommended for good pricing on Honda eu2000i motor replacement parts (I don't know anything about the vendor myself).

Boats.net

And, for others that may have missed another post of mine, there is a nice Yahoo forum for eu2000i owners.

eu2000i forum

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I have had trouble with the low oil shut down system with Hondas before at low temps. Sometimes I have had to run them for a good long time to get them to keep running.

I suspect your conclusion about condensation in the crankcase vent is probably a likely culprit. I would guess that you are going to have to rebuild and replace the seals.

Good luck,

T
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I guess one would have to ask ? Did the low oil switch cut it off before there was any damage ? I'd say yes. The seal may have just flipped out backwards and with little luck you might be able to flip it back in to get you by for a while. I never saw those seals, I'd say they are rubber with a spring in the inside lip, that you would not be able to put in from the outside of the seal, it would be hard to pull without destroying it. I have drilled the outer ring and pulled them without damage with a little slide hammer and flipped them around , put the spring in and tapped them back in.

As BB said. Boats.net is good

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Generator/0/EU2000I%20AN1%20GENERATOR%2C%20JPN%2C%20VIN%23%20EAAJ-1170001/parts.html

I found the seal, make sure it's for the Year Model you have.

91202-KJ9-003 OIL SEAL (20X32X6) (Honda Code 3741006)

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Generator/0/EU2000I%20AN1%20GENERATOR%2C%20JPN%2C%20VIN%23%20EAAJ-1170001/CYLINDER/parts.html