Solar Water heating question

Options
raydias
raydias Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭
Has anyone had any experience with the Heliatos hot water heating system? It looks very simple to install and cost effective.

http://www.heliatos.com/

Ray

Comments

• kendive
    kendive Solar Expert Posts: 38
    Options
    Re: Solar Water heating question
    raydias wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience with the Heliatos hot water heating system? It looks very simple to install and cost effective.

http://www.heliatos.com/

Ray

Just checked out the videos and that looks very interesting.

For $500 - $1000 I would try it just to play with it.
  • LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Options

Yikes!!!
    The pex ? ( looks like poly) tubing and compression fitting won't last long, they will blow off on the first hot summer day.
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

PEX tubing - upper temperature limits normally about 135° C

No problem with compression fittings on a hot day if the system is installed correctly.

Heliatos looks like someones garage operation. If you are running tap water through the panels continually you would want very 'clean' water - hard water would put you out of business in no time.

Poly carbonate - Heliatos refers to it being used for airplane windows and I have seen many airplane windows it was very hard to see through as they were discolored or scratched up.
  • Jburgess
    Jburgess Solar Expert Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Options
    russ wrote: »

PEX tubing - upper temperature limits normally about 135° C

The water in my collector exceeds 260° F when stagnant in the summer in Phoenix. I would be worried about pex.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jburgess wrote: »
    The water in my collector exceeds 260° F when stagnant in the summer in Phoenix. I would be worried about pex.

Isn't that a steamy situation?
  • Jburgess
    Jburgess Solar Expert Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Options
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Isn't that a steamy situation?

Not under pressure. Would be if pressure was released.
  • LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Options

Standard Pex for is rated at 180 F max at 100 PSI as per the manufacturer "it's printed on the tubing". Pex Connected to ST panels can easily exceed those ratings.
    For a reliable installation only copper tubing or stainless line sets should be used.
    Compression fittings will leak ( if they don't blow off completely) because of the expansion and contraction of the pex at extreme temperatures.
    But at least on this system you won't lose any of that expensive glycol if it leaks.