need to learn all about moving off grid

FreeBrrd
FreeBrrd Solar Expert Posts: 116 ✭✭✭✭
I am extremely sensitive to pesticides/herbicides & most cleaning products so I need to get away from people.

I have some questions about how you deal with some things when you first start setting up, like having water & how to deal with not having a bathroom :blush:

I only check email on Mondays. I can't write much. These chemicals mess with my thinking, memory, nerves, etc.

Not sure if I put this in the correct area so feel free to move it.

I have a map that I found that shows what areas were probably best in 1999. I figure that all the bad areas are still bad and hopefully some of the good areas are good. Only source I have found. Figure a population density map would also be a fairly good source.

mcs_map.gif

Any help greatly appreciated.

I can't do research or read thru other threads. I can only stand being online for a short time so info is better than links. It will probably take me at least a week to get back. Feel free to email me.freebrrd@DekatoDesigns.net

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: need to learn all about moving off grid

Get a couple 5 gallon water jugs for your drinking water, and a bottle top pump.

The pump uses air pressure to force water out of the bottle.

/////

Do a google search for a "bucket toilet system" uses a 5 gallon bucket, peat moss and sawdust to absorb and compost the waste.

I think Mendocino County (No Calif) is the only place that still allows per code, pit toilets. (with some distance restrictions, creeks, property lines......)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• arkieoscar
    arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭

Look at North Central Arkansas. Very low population density, decent weather, no large scale agri. in between plumes of pollution in the north and south. No way to make a living but other than that, it's a good place to live.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

I highly recommend Homepower magazine - decades of articles on living off-grid including building methods and things like pit toilets. They have a DVD available with all articles up until I think last year for a reasonable price. www.homepower.com/home
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The no brainer answer is anywhere in the southwest and you won't need a generator.:cool:
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    FreeBrrd wrote: »
    mcs_map.gif

Can someone explain to me what the heck this map is showing? Is 100% good or is it bad and what is it 100% of?

A lot of areas in Arizona that are basically uninhabited are displayed as 100%, but the high population density areas are 25-50%.
  • FreeBrrd

sorry, I can't think very well so I leave those things out. The white areas are supposed to be the places where pesticides are not used in 1999. The brown areas are places where pesticides where used.
  • FreeBrrd

I'm confused. doesn't that just give me something to put the water in and a means to pump it out, but no water??
  • FreeBrrd

I think I'm not asking the correct questions. I need to find a place with no pesticides. I'm not finding any in northern California. I've tried sanctuaries and wetlands, also open areas like Point Reyes, It appears that at least in California, all parks, all roads, all schools, all libraries, all shopping areas, all restaurants, all fast food places, all condos, and most residences are using herbicides and or pesticides. I have to find a large area that absolutely does not use pesticides. Not places that folks guess that they don't but places that for sure do not.

I can't think more so can't finish post.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Not joking. To find what you're looking for you may have to relocate to Antarctica, but life there will be impossible for you because of the cold.
  • FreeBrrd

I agree except that the cold I could possible deal with. The results of the chemicals I can't.

I can't think sufficiently to deal with posting. I have to find a place to recover so I can find a place to recover ;>

Supposed to be that ranchers do not use pesticides so when I am able to, I will try to contact rancher's associations, etc. to see what I can find.

This sucks. I had just found my dream job - union carpenter, bought my dream motorcycle - 2002 cbr600f4i and I will never be able to do either ever again.

thanks all

If someone wants to know more about my chemical sensitivity I have about 7 hours of voice recordings. I will send a link to anyone that requests it. It is boring, repetitious, depressing, but if any one wants to listen ..
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FreeBrrd wrote: »
    I think I'm not asking the correct questions. I need to find a place with no pesticides. ...

You are done for. There are vast tracts of land (salt flats, dry lake beds) that have not been sprayed, but they also do not support life. And all cities spray for their local pests.

Maybe Camp & Sons is an idyllic 400 acre forest retreat on the west facing slope of Foster Mountain in central Mendocino County can use an additional caretaker on site?

We take in Wwoofers whose help we much appreciate from April through the summer months. Look up our listing on WWOOF.org or contact us to learn more about wwoofing at Camp & Sons.

WWOOF is an exchange - In return for volunteer help, WWOOF hosts offer food, accommodation and opportunities to learn about organic lifestyles.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Telegraph, TX 76849 Population 2 ??

The area around there is about 2000 feet above sea level
    but it can still get pretty hot in the summer time.

You can find a home/farm somewhere along the South Llano river,
    where you can be away from it all.

South%20Llano%20River%20Fisherman.jpg

No snow to speak of, no twisters, no hurricanes, no earthquakes and not a lot of people around..
    I would avoid being too close to the level of the river, since the water can get high during the rainy season.

I guess the main drawback these days, it's not far from thousands of killers in down in Mexico.
    That problem might go away after the 2012 elections.

Still, that spot is on my bucket list.. :)
  • FreeBrrd

thank you

I emailed woofers to see if they can help me. Sent one to camp & sons too. These look like they could really be of help. My only other idea is finding a ranch where they will rent / sell me a bit of land in the middle as pretty much all roads seem to get sprayed.

You can't believe how much this whole situation sucks!!! I would have made over $30k (plus good bennies) this summer less than a mile from home doing my dream job.
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

There are large areas in Arizona that are a fair distance away from everything. Because of this the land tends to be cheap.

I've seen 20 acre plots up near Wilcox go for less than $1,000 per acre. Some down around $500 an acre.

These places tend to be less than desirable because you can only get to them on dirt roads, which sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Miles from town, no farms around. Nothing but weeds and mesquite (really big weeds)

This guy has a weird sense of humor, but he has a few places that might meet your needs:
    http://www.azlandman.com/prod02.htm
  • FreeBrrd

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. I think I'd prefer Montana or Wyoming - cooler, bit more water ?? but out in the wilderness.

I didn't find out how to contact him. I couldn't search the remax site today.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some nerve problems with a few toxins, I can walk by a frame shop and tell you if they have been using spray glue. I can't imagine having that feeling all the time. I hope you can build up some resistance.

You might try contacting communal living places in the areas you are looking into. Keep hunting on line and you should be able to find some type of situation in most areas of the country (many will be areas where land is cheap!) These will have the advantage of not wanting to use pesticides (typically check of course) Might be able to check out areas w/o having to make a big investment.

I'm in Mid Missouri and for the most part we would be a likely place, though they use pesticides to control the growth on the roads once or twice a year. I would think the Ozarks might be OKK other than the same.

Other wise some area with rapid renewal, costal areas, perhaps west coast of North Florida, Cedar Key area where the weather comes in from the west, lots of rain to knock things down. Even costal California should work well as the weather moves in from the west. Just a though.

Good Luck!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • FreeBrrd

Some of the folks think that it gets worse with exposures rather than building up a resistance. I think I stay pretty much the same.

Funny thing is that I can use the spray adhesive that 3M makes for sticking up a headliner. Some glues I react to, but usually with breathing problems not with nervous system.

I think I am going to try to put the map I have over one with more info - town names, etc. and than contact realtors in the good areas. I'm trying to get someone to edit a form letter for me as I can't concentrate well enough to compose a letter that makes sense & includes all I need.