why are the solar panels arranged like this?

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
headerAdvantages.jpg

Seems like they woudl be prone to shading each other.

the manufacturer does seem to suggest shade is not a big deal though and also that the cells can pick up reflected light easily, so maybe the partial shading is compensated by the reflective effect?

headerAbout.jpg

And this seems to be a common configuration, they have it posted twice on their web site. http://www.tenksolar.com/about.html

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: why are the solar panels arranged like this?

If you look hard you'll see that the PV panels are only on one side the other facing side is a reflector of some type. Like you said, they seem to think it's great.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

A more interesting part of the answer might lie in what latitude the panels are located.

Tony
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

"The tenKsolar RAIS® Wave system with its revolutionary RAIS PV Module and Light-Smart reflectors generates more energy than traditional solar PV systems. Comparing rooftop to rooftop, total energy output is up to 66% greater per square foot."
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

a layout like that would come into play with pvs on either side (not pvs with opposing reflectors) near the equator and pvs would face east and west, but i would not have such a high peak for that setup. by the shade evident in the bottom pic the sun is low to the sky and some severe shading would be occurring at the time of the pic. that shade angle and the tree types tell me this is not in an equatorial setting.

the shading tells me they may not be doing this correctly and i can't say if the company is good, bad, or whatever by that. i read a bit on their website and they say,
    " Cell Optimizing technology with built-in shade tolerance, and cell level MPPT enables the solar system to produce more power in more real world situations."

shade tolerance without some more to go on is bull, but to say cell level mppt dumbfounds me on how they could do that. are they spinning bull here because it sounds like it? to use this as proof of what the op is trying to say to be so is spinning yarns i think.

just to be fair to the op, you put up your money to do this stuff and provide real accountable proofs and maybe we will see it your way.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting concept. The higher mount angle will improve morning and afternoon sun exposure. The front reflector will help make up the non-optimum mid-day angle.

Probably works better at lower lattitudes with sun higher in the sky mid-day.
  • rollandelliott

"shade tolerance without some more to go on is bull, but to say cell level mppt dumbfounds me on how they could do that. are they spinning bull here because it sounds like it? "

I sent them an email, if I get a response I'll let you know. Though I have to admit I dont' now what MPPT or OP mean?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    "shade tolerance without some more to go on is bull, but to say cell level mppt dumbfounds me on how they could do that. are they spinning bull here because it sounds like it? "

I sent them an email, if I get a response I'll let you know. Though I have to admit I dont' now what MPPT or OP mean?

OP: Original (first) Post(er) in the thread.
    MPPT: Maximum Power Point Tracking. As this requires sophisticated electronics it can not be done at "cell level" as claimed. Panel level (as in the use of microinverters) is the best you can get.

Never overlook the possibility they might be making exaggerated claims to sell product, or that they might just plain be stupid.

If you want to optimize a system of that configuration, get rid of the shadow potential and put each row on a tracker to follow the sun through its arc. Trading full sun potential to gain partial sun potential (that's what they seem to be doing here) is chasing rainbows, in my opinion.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    techntrek wrote: »
    "The tenKsolar RAIS® Wave system with its revolutionary RAIS PV Module and Light-Smart reflectors generates more energy than traditional solar PV systems. Comparing rooftop to rooftop, total energy output is up to 66% greater per square foot."

I grant you that this system concentrates the sun and gives more per sq foot and also that it looks good, but is there any advantage in $/watt?
  • rollandelliott

just call them up and ask. I'm sure they will be glad to tell you any benefits. and costs.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    solarix wrote: »
    I grant you that this system concentrates the sun and gives more per sq foot and also that it looks good, but is there any advantage in $/watt?

I was just quoting from their web site to dispel the question of what was on the racks. I don't see how the setup will help - assuming you mount the PV panels in the right direction and angle the reflectors will be facing in the exact opposite direction of the sun. You might catch a little extra light from atmospheric reflection. Personally I would rather mount reflectors so they reflect the sun onto the panels and not a little light scattered from the atmosphere...
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • jcgee88
    jcgee88 Solar Expert Posts: 154 ✭✭

I researched this intensely on letterman.com, and here are
    the top ten reasons I discovered:

1. Can be used as makeshift tents for homeless people.
    2. During tornadoes, makes a nice washboard sound.
    3. You can use the Google Earth image as a checkerboard.
    4. Unfolds fast for installation.
    5. If the reflectors are positioned precisely, Sarah Palin
    can see Russia - many times.
    6. Sneaky marketing program for rack manufacturers.
    7. Makes a good obstacle course for caterpillars.
    8. Reduces global warming by reflecting sunlight back into
    space.
    9. Rich owner has nothing better to waste his money on.
    10. It's so pretty (John Edwards quote).

John