Config help with Xantrex SCP and 3 XW-MPPT60

2»

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Config help with Xantrex SCP and 3 XW-MPPT60

I would not worry Greenbee about your plan. There is a problem here for Mark but the XW network xanbus is fine. There are zillions out there.

One of the devices is bad probably. Have you, Mark tried getting a spare to find the bad unit? There also is another way to hook-up the network beside the daisey chain. Since it is working but not terminated per the manual what is the main issue? RF noise?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hi Mark,
    Sorry I never got back to you. I took the terminator off one end of the bus back in February, and I haven't had a problem since. Well, unless you count the battery temperature not being shared between the inverter and the 2 charge controllers. I am just going to hook in another BTS to one of the charge controllers and hopefully that will take care of it.
    Mike
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Thank you for the update Mike. It is always nice to hear the end of the story. Sorry that you still had one issue with the battery temp sensor digital sharing.

-Bill :D
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mkohler wrote: »
    Hi Mark,
    Sorry I never got back to you. I took the terminator off one end of the bus back in February, and I haven't had a problem since. Well, unless you count the battery temperature not being shared between the inverter and the 2 charge controllers. I am just going to hook in another BTS to one of the charge controllers and hopefully that will take care of it.
    Mike

Back when I installed my system, I asked one of the guys at X tech support about this and he told me that even though the manuals say they share the BTS data over the xanbus, they really dont. You need one BTS per charging device.
  • Dave Angelini
    Joe_B wrote: »
    Back when I installed my system, I asked one of the guys at X tech support about this and he told me that even though the manuals say they share the BTS data over the xanbus, they really dont. You need one BTS per charging device.

This has never been my experience BTW. The first charger to hi the TC setpoint
    forces all other chargers to regulate that point. I am working on system # 13 right now.

• System2

Same problem on a new build. I used a cat 5 I had laying around from a netgear router to make the connection to the CC from the SC (cable works fine for the netgear). After spending an hour or so trying different configs (order, terminators etc) I read this thread. The bit about the quality of the cable hit me, but comments like "the cable is fine, works elsewhere" made me think about what is different about cable that would cause this. The quality of the SHIELDING on the cable. Cheap cable has cheap shielding and these cables run next to large magnetic fields. So, buy good cable with thick shielding, like the ones you get from X.
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Dr. Strangelove Solar Expert Posts: 49

Standard Cat5 and Cat6 cable is UTP - Unshielded Twisted Pair. You want STP - Shielded Twisted Pair - which is readily available. Pre-made cables should have the shield connected on only one end: this gives you the benefit of the Faraday shield but no ground loops between equipment (which can be worse than the original problem).

Andrew
    chopkins wrote: »
    Same problem on a new build. I used a cat 5 I had laying around from a netgear router to make the connection to the CC from the SC (cable works fine for the netgear). After spending an hour or so trying different configs (order, terminators etc) I read this thread. The bit about the quality of the cable hit me, but comments like "the cable is fine, works elsewhere" made me think about what is different about cable that would cause this. The quality of the SHIELDING on the cable. Cheap cable has cheap shielding and these cables run next to large magnetic fields. So, buy good cable with thick shielding, like the ones you get from X.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

hmmm. i am not aware that any cat5 has any shielding. nice if you find it with some, but it's sure to be semi-expensive.
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Dr. Strangelove Solar Expert Posts: 49

The key is to look for STP: Cat6 seems to be cheaper than Cat5/5e these days as people realize that you don't really need Cat5 any more.

CAT6, STP, with Molded Boot, 500MHz, Black, 5 ft
    Boy, that "free shipping" can really cost you. Or you can buy bulk cable and roll your own:

CAT6, STP (Shielded), 24AWG, Solid, 500MHz, Bulk Cable, Gray 1000 ft , 10X8-521TH for $146.64. Most likely available at your local Fry's (not coming soon to Hawaii).

niel wrote: »
    hmmm. i am not aware that any cat5 has any shielding. nice if you find it with some, but it's sure to be semi-expensive.
  • System2

Good comments about the difference between types of network cable. I didn't actually look it up myself, but visually the cheap stuff has a much thinner wall of insulation around the actual lines themselves and no end chaps (you'd think X would have just used standard off the shelf networking hardware for the Xanbus, but maybe there is something special they needed to do?)
    As an aside, I also hit the BTS problem where the docs say all networked devices will share the BTS data if say the inverter is connected to a sensor. Unless there is a setting somewhere I have not found, that does not seem the case. I just switched the connection from the inverter to the CC (Inverter charging is disabled).
    I was also a little disappointed the 6048 would not trigger the aux when it is not controlling the charging, you would think it could, with a little thought.
  • Joe_B
    chopkins wrote: »
    As an aside, I also hit the BTS problem where the docs say all networked devices will share the BTS data if say the inverter is connected to a sensor. Unless there is a setting somewhere I have not found, that does not seem the case. I just switched the connection from the inverter to the CC (Inverter charging is disabled).
    I was also a little disappointed the 6048 would not trigger the aux when it is not controlling the charging, you would think it could, with a little thought.

I have talked with S tech support about this issue. According to them, the manual is wrong, the BTS data is not shared. They told me that every charging source (inverter or SCC) must have its own BTS. If not, you will see in the meters screen that the temp data is unavailable. I have 3 BTS's on my bank (inverter + 2 SCC's)
  • Dave Angelini

Joe,
    The CC's may say " that battery temp info is not available" but the unit that does have a sensor will share the data and the setpoints will regulate around the master. This is not based on just my own system but 8 or 9 others that I keep an eye on. It is also the manual. If this is not happening for you then you have a problem with one of the cc's and should send it back under warranty.

• Joe_B
    Joe,
    The CC's may say " that battery temp info is not available" but the unit that does have a sensor will share the data and the setpoints will regulate around the master. This is not based on just my own system but 8 or 9 others that I keep an eye on. It is also the manual. If this is not happening for you then you have a problem with one of the cc's and should send it back under warranty.

Dave,

When I first comissioned my system I read that in my manual so I only hooked up th inverter BTS. When I looked at the SCC meters screen it said "not available" and I called S (X back then). I was told " then manual was wrong and you need to hook up all three" Since I have done it, the system sees all three and works properly. Now I have to admit, I have upgraded my firmware since then so this issue may have been fixed but I was told several times by X and later S that they did not share information properly.

Joe
  • Dave Angelini

The other chargers will say temp not available. The charger with the sensor reads temperature. The network will use the data and the setpoints will all track and accurately adjust a few tenths up or down with the seasons. I will ask an engineer I know the history of your issue the next time I get a chance.

• b. ecologìcAll
    b. ecologìcAll Registered Users Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

i had a similar problem time ago
    the problem was resolved, by connecting only one MPPT at the time
    rename them as MPPT 01, MPPT 02, MPPT 03
    only with one connected to the xanbus and powered at the time
    then start up the system with MPPT01, no errors, then start the MPPT02, no erros, finally the MPPT 03

also, it is always good to update to the last firmware