Question about battery charger selection with EU2000 generator.

Options
124»

Comments

• SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Question about battery charger selection with EU2000 generator.

The same charger is selectable for 2 or 8 stage charging with a switch on the back. 8 stage charging is intended to desulphate the batteries. The curves are shown in the attachment.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bummer, no 48V of the Meanwell PB-1000-24
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• SteveK
    Options

Mike there is:

http://www.powergatellc.com/pdfs/PB-1000.pdf

A 48V version but still maxes out at 1000W....
  • Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Options

this is the thread I needed. I am trying to do the same thing as you were, just with a 12v bank. After reading every page I went lookin, and found, the 12v version. http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_1954332_-1

NICE!!!!
  • SteveK
    Options

Leper, glad this helped someone! I'm stiil quite impressed with mine and hope you'll report back with your take on this charger...

There is something that you should know. If you parallel two chargers the output drops on each. That is to say if you try to pass 10A from your solar charge controller and introduce the 35A from the line charger simultaneously....the output from the line charger backs off to 25A....10A + 25A = 35A

Not sure why and it doesn't affect me too much but just a heads-up. I was gonna add a second charger (600W) but don't believe this would work. Just sayin'
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

At some point, the total amount of charging current is going to be limited by the battery's own I/V curve and its current state of charge.

I would guess that a large battery bank and/or lower state of charge would accept higher charging currents.

Also look at the voltage drop/wire gauge from the chargers to the battery bank... Too high of voltage drop will also help to limit the peak output current of the chargers (both solar and AC types).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • williaty
    williaty Solar Expert Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options

Steve, since you've been in contact with the manufacturers of the Meanwell unit, do you know if the voltages are user-adjustable? The advertized setpoints are slightly too low for my batteries.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I asked that question also, answer is NO, they are factory set. If you want a special (specific) value they can make it that way ... but... you would have to order 1000 units...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Update from SteveK today:

-Bill
    SteveK wrote: »
    There were some major differences in application between theirs and mine I believe. I read one poster was having an issue that I stated in my testing. When charging with solar simultaneously the output of the MeanWell drops somewhat. There is some interplay. I'm not sure the cause nor was it important to me because, as stated, I was only really looking for Bulk and was willing to do this with simple golf cart chargers if need be. It was for when there was no Sun. For me, I can just plug into the grid if need be. And most times that is what I do.....but I also wanted the generator to handle it for other reasons.

I did have full intentions of purchasing the 15A model to parallel with mine. I do recall speaking with a MeanWell app engineer and was told there were no problems in doing so. I never did try it. It seemed feasible with the remaining unused capacity of the EU2000i. I just never got around to it.

So far the charger has been great. I have noticed no problems while running it on the genset with other things plugged into the genset. This includes a chest freezer. I run the MeanWell infrequently. My batteries rarely get depleted to 80% SOC by design. My system is designed to be a backup for critical household systems and not for supplemental power or grid tied w/BBU and the like. Like an SFS system on steroids. It is a stand alone off-grid setup with redundancy.

Off-my-rocker is the term I believe?...lol

I know the EU is no Kohler but the reverse is certainly true and the EU shines in other areas like efficiency. I guess there are always tradeoffs to be made.

I wonder, has any other company started producing an equivalent the the PB-1000-24 in a 1000W version? Last I checked there was no direct competition. It took quite alot of searching to find this efficient and cost effective solution. And alot of questions to BB and the others to help me sift through the inferior products. I am forever grateful to them as well....

Sorry for being far off topic in this thread. I think I'll order the 15A/500W version just for kicks and see if I can max-out the EU while charging with the 30A/1000W version combined.

Sorry to be little help if anyone is having issues.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset