connecting off grid inverter to load center idea

Options
solarvic
solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
I have a manufactured home with an outside service pole with meter box and 100 amp load center. My Grid tie system is connected there and was put into service a year ago. Originally I was going to go off grid till the law was changed that allowed GTI tie that was fairly compensated.. I had already purchased all the offgrid equipment needed before going GTI. Now I am thinking about making use of some of my offgrid equipment for a backup and powering a few loads. I have everything needed except batterys and solar racks. Lately took a couple energy hogs out of the trough. Electric dryer to a gas dryer. Electric water heater to the Ge hybred electric waterheater and installed nat. gas fireplace and a ng space heater in the utility room where the waterheater is located. Now the water heater is even more efficient and runs less. My gas furnace also runs less.
What I want to do. I have a Trace xantrex 4024 that I want to connect a Trace T240 autotransformer and feed 240v into the Clothes dryer outlet via the pigtail I took off the electric dryer. The pigtail is #10 wire, 6 ft length and the dryer outlet wire about 12 ft to the load center and goes back to the load center connected to 30 amp breakers. I could move the dryer breakers to the bottom of the load center if needed. Now they are at the top of the load center. This would make an easy connection that is neat and lots easier to get to the load center. The heat from inverter, charge controlers ect would compliment the waterheater in the winter and the waterheater would help to cool all the electric systems in the summer. When I wanted to use the off grid backup system all I would need to do is turn off grid tie breakers and turn on off grid breakers. Revers for grid power.
On good sunny days I could let my gti inverter system feed the grid to build up my credits and use off grid system feed my house during daylight hours. I would like to hear feedback on my ideas and I can answer any comments. :Dsolarvic:D

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: connecting off grid inverter to load center idea

If you want to temporarily connect up the SW4048 then install a generator socket with cover lid.

Don't do a 'suicide' cord into the drier outlet.

Put the generator inlet on its own breaker in the panel or a separate box next to the generator inlet.

It is not legal, (need a full 100 amp transfer switch on mains inlet to be legal), but safer then a suicide cord.