Step Down Transformer

Options
My question relates to the minimization of line losses. I am installing a 10 kW ground mounted solar system in Ontario in a grid-tied application. I know that my inverter is available in both 240 V and 600 V output configurations. Would there be economic benefit in utilizing the higher voltage and providing a step down transformer to nominal 240 V at the point of connection to the meter, in order to reduce line losses for cable distances of 400 ft, assuming a 4 AWG aluminum conductor? Or could the cost more reasonably be spent in going to a 2 AWG aluminum conductor or copper? I have not been able to find reliable pricing on the step down transformer, so don’t have enough data to answer this question myself.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Step Down Transformer

For long distance, I would perfer the high voltage and transformers, gives a little bit of isolation. Look for transformers on ebay, or maybe your utility has some.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

That may or may not be a good solution... Transformers can have upwards of ~5% losses... So you well end up with more losses with the transformer than without.

I would probably go with the larger gauge cable--but, as we say, run the numbers for both setups (plus research transformer losses both under power and idling) and see what works out best.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

Couldn't you move the inverter itself close to the meter, so that you run high voltage DC to the inverter, then only a short run for 240AC?