Best (any?) method to interface Macintosh computer to Fronius Inverter?

Options
We've just installed a PV system on our house with a Fronius IG inverter and I have been trying to determine a way to interface and download data from the inverter using a MacBook Pro (no serial interface, but does have USB). After a lot of research, I think a possible solution may be to use a Fronius Datalogger easy that has a USB interface.

I found a USB driver on the Fronius website, but it only is for Windows XP. I do have Parallels for Macintosh and Windows XP installed on it. The thought is I could run the USB driver under Windows XP on my Mac and connect to the Fronius Datalogger easy. Has anyone tried this approach?

thanks,
Jim

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Best (any?) method to interface Macintosh computer to Fronius Inverter?

Maybe one of these?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4143829&CatId=464
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options
    monty wrote: »
    I found a USB driver on the Fronius website, but it only is for Windows XP. I do have Parallels for Macintosh and Windows XP installed on it. The thought is I could run the USB driver under Windows XP on my Mac and connect to the Fronius Datalogger easy. Has anyone tried this approach?

I've not specifically tried the fronius data logger, but I have used a good number of Windows-only USB drivers through parallels or vmware and XP. Works flawlessly.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to go with the Data Logger easy approach using the USB connection. May be a while before I do it, but I'll try to remember to post the results once I do.