Rent My Roof?

Options
thomaswarner
thomaswarner Registered Users Posts: 24
Does anyone know of any companies that put solar on your roof and either pay you or give you a discount on electricity? I know this is Arizona, but do you know of any that would do Michigan?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Rent My Roof?

Call around... There are various websites that list solar installers by state.

Regarding the difference between Arizona and Michigan--The same system will generate almost 50% more power in Arizona. You do not have a lot of sun up there--and the lack of sun can really affect your rate of return...

Now, if you put the same array on a two axis tracker, because you are so far north and have long hours of sun in the summer--you can generate a lot more power during summer. But that adds costs and complexity too--and needs a fair amount of ground space.

Otherwise, there are moves for utilities to lease roof tops in major cities. However, that is probably going to focus on large industrial buildings:
    Jeff Schwartz, CEO of major distributor ProLogis, uttered words in an interview with Fox Business Channel in April that will ring like a cash register in the ears of property owners worldwide: “The return on investment is infinite,” he said. “We’re utilizing our roofs with other people’s capital.” Schwartz was describing a recent deal with Southern California Edison (SCE) in which the major utility will use 607,000 square feet of bare roof space at a ProLogis distribution center to install and operate solar panels.

This project in Fontana, Calif., is only the initial stage of SCE’s plan to install 250 megawatts’ worth of solar panels on commercial rooftops across the region in the next five years. When finished, the newly installed solar panels will cover 65 million square feet and provide enough electricity to power 162,000 homes.
    The sheer size of the project also gives the utility a cost advantage. Installation costs will be around $3.50 per watt—half of the average market rate, according to SCE.
    However, realistically, this is all a huge transfer of wealth scheme.

...SCE’s plan to install 250 megawatts’ worth of solar panels on commercial rooftops across the region in the next five years. ... Though the initiative is being funded internally, SCE has said they hope to receive $875 million from the California Public Utilities Commission. Eventually that cost is likely to be passed along to consumers in the form of a rate hike.
    • $875 million subsidy / 250 MW = $3.50 per watt
    Vs $3.50 per watt installation costs... What leasing/utility company would not want that... Somebody else pays for 100% of the installation costs and you get feed-in tariffs and tax credits (elevated power payments over other utility generator payments/depreciation/local credits).
    Though many customers would groan at the possibility of rate increases, this project could produce great economic gains for both utilities and real estate owners while acting as a catalyst for the competitiveness of solar power.
    You think????

There are solar leasing companies out there--The economics may end up paying you / saving your 5-20% of your bill--But they are based on the leasing companies getting tax credits/depreciation/rebates, etc. that are not usually available to you as a home based solar PV owner.

Is it worth it/available in Michigan? I don't know...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • thomaswarner
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Regarding the difference between Arizona and Michigan--The same system will generate almost 50% more power in Arizona. You do not have a lot of sun up there--and the lack of sun can really affect your rate of return...

But what about the difference in temperature? Wouldn't it balance out a little bit?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Maybe 10-20% during the winter--But that is when your system produces very little power... 20% more of a little bit of power is only a little bit more.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • thomaswarner
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    20% more of a little bit of power is only a little bit more.

:D LOL :D That's great.