used 14ah batteries, what can i do with them?

Options
Rufus-R
Rufus-R Registered Users Posts: 5
Hello,

i just scored a bunch of these sbs15 batteries. 12v 14.4ah 15lbs
right now i have 25 of them wired up for 12v.
Each one independantly registers 12.9v upon checking.
these are maintenace free/ spill proof lead acid batts.

two questions.

1. what can i do with them? i mean is it practical to wire up 100 of these for anything. part of me just wants to send them to the recycling place and then go
by some trojan 6v.. but then i keep asking myself why do i need batteries..
im on the grid, sold the r.v, and have a genny should the lights go out.

would appreciate some examples of possibilites..

2nd question.
i would like service these things if i keep them. i popped off one of the caps only to find a rubber boot over a hole, shined a light in there and could not see any fluid..
dont suppose you can drill these like the automotive batteries ?

I hooked up a small 300w inverter and ran a 100watt light bulb, within 10 minutes,
my battery charger told me i was down to 80% 12.5v another 5 min, was at 70% at 12.4v. this was with 25 batts connected. i had them on trickle for several days now.
wondering if they are sulfated?
360ah should have ran that light bulb for along time right ??

Thanks guys

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: used 14ah batteries, what can i do with them?

How's the scrap metal price in your area? :p

No, but seriously ...

14 Amp hours isn't much. At 50% discharge that's 7*12 = 84 Watt hours each.
    I would not want to wire 25 batteries in parallel; you'd never get the current flow even.
    On the other hand, what can you do with 7 Amp hours @ 24 or 48 Volts?

Inverter consumes power. Light bulb consumes power. Even so, a potential maximum of 2100 Watt hours should have kept that 100 Watt bulb going for nearly a day.

There's no way to check SG on a sealed unit or determine if they are sulphated.

So, how's the scrap metal price in your area?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

if you have any backups for computers you may be able to use them if they fit the enclosure or hardwire them externally to it. know anybody with an electric fence? how about those auto power packs just in case your battery dies? maybe put them for sale in your local paper.
    as to the batteries themselves, they are probably good agms, but could also be gels. the one you popped the lid on may not last as long as sealed batteries are supposed to remain sealed. keep that one separate and marked that you opened it. they aren't meant to be refilled with water.
    you must be careful in "scoring" batteries for if you can't use them then it is a waste. you must know what you could use them for or you may be paying to have them disposed of.
  • Rufus-R
    Options

:confused:
    niel wrote: »
    if you have any backups for computers you may be able to use them if they fit the enclosure or hardwire them externally to it. know anybody with an electric fence? how about those auto power packs just in case your battery dies? maybe put them for sale in your local paper.
    as to the batteries themselves, they are probably good agms, but could also be gels. the one you popped the lid on may not last as long as sealed batteries are supposed to remain sealed. keep that one separate and marked that you opened it. they aren't meant to be refilled with water.
    you must be careful in "scoring" batteries for if you can't use them then it is a waste. you must know what you could use them for or you may be paying to have them disposed of.

Hi Niel,
    i got the batteries from work, (legally, :D ) anyway, at the time it seems to good
    to be true, i couldnt let them just head off to the recycling center, and as i am a
    master pack rat, home they went, so far i have 41 with more comming if i want them. but now, im pondering what to do with them.
    my brother has offered to build me a cart with 5 trays that will hold max 100.

one of the techs here mentioned gel, but when i look on the sticker on each one
    they say flooded lead.. or something like that.. i even googled the model number sbs 15 and all i can find is flooded.
    if they are Gel, then ive been charging them wrong... :confused:
    as for getting rid of them, thats simple.. can just pitch them at night at the.........
    Just kidding, my local scrap yard pays for all kinds of batteries.. so i can recycle them and make some $$$ for my time.
    still wondering what to do.. hahah, wife is getting scared to go into the garage any more...
  • Rufus-R
    Options
    So, how's the scrap metal price in your area?

Haha, awesome post... last time i checked pretty good.
    too bad you guys arent around, id invite you over to help me drink some free
    beer :D

i think im going to cut and run.. have ZERO invested in this project, so nothing lost and some free beer money..
    thanks guys !!!
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

don't get so many that you can't keep a charge in them.;) if you were near me i'd drop by and take a few off of your hands, but to me they aren't worth the s/h charges to send otherwise.
    your work purchased them in the first place so they should know what type of battery they are or at least where they were purchased so you can ask.
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Options

Wire them up in small groups of 4 in parallel, then parallel those groups in similar way. Charge them all up to 14.2V and hold them there until charging current drops below 0.2 - 0.5A per battery or less. Use small cheap wire, 10 gauge will work. No need for crimping connectors, just twist wire strands and bend them into loops around battery terminal bolts. After charging disconnect all batteries and measure their voltage the next day. Write down voltages for each battery and measure them again in 2 - 4 weeks to see how much voltage each battery lost. Next, connect 5 - 10 A load (12V lights) to each and measure voltage drop immediately upon connecting the load. Calculate internal resistance of each battery (resting V - under load V) / Load A = internal R. Group in parallel those batteries that have similar self-discharge and internal resistance. Recycle those that are too dead. Don't worry about the advice against paralleling many batteries. Yours are free, see how long they will work. You may be surprised. It would be a good idea to have 10 - 15A automotive fuse in series with each battery for safety in case of internal cell short. Take a picture of battery and post here. I think they are gel-cells, but they may be AGMs. If they were used in UPS, I don't think they are going to be the flooded type. Crack one open and check for fiberglass mat between lead plates or gel.
  • kc8adu
    kc8adu Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    Options

those are high quality batteries.
    replaced a bunch in medical equipment and my wholesale cost was around $150 each.
    if they are good grab all you can get.keep them charged and spread the word.you can easily sell them.
    took a pickup load to a hamfest and at $25 ea used/tested they were gone in an hour.