What Type of Wire??

Batikikik
Batikikik Solar Expert Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello guys .
I have a question and I will be more than happy to know your opinion .
For DC wiring usually I use RHW-2 10AWG stranded wire . Which is exactly called PV WIRE.
But I heard that it is not necessary to use RHW-2 wire , you can use the regular 10AWG THHN or THWN "AC" wire.
My opinion is - IF wire is exposed to sunlight and it is outside(not inside the conduit) so it is necessary to use RHW-2 wire.
BUT if you run wire with EMT or another type of conduit it means that it is not necessary to have RHW-2 , you can actually use THHN or THWN , THHN is better.

Question - What you guys think about it ?
Thank You!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: What Type of Wire??

As long as you meet NEC or equivalent Code--Should not be an issue.

My GT system was installed ~5 years ago and there was a shortage of UV rated wire. The installer used THHN (as I recall) for the runs in conduit back to the inverter. Was it easier to pull, cheaper, reduce his use of UV rated wire or just handy... Don't know.

In this thread, there are a couple links to NEC discussions related to solar energy by the guys who write the code.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Batikikik

Yes It THHN is OK with NEC .
    So you did it too? and it works fine right?
  • BB.

Works fine--In general, go with the code unless there is a very good reason not too... I am a design engineer so my uses of code where very limited to the systems I designed--I am not a code expert by any stretch of the imagination.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Batikikik

are you from LA BB?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

see his location on the top right side of all of his posts.
    san francisco.
  • Batikikik

thank you , are you agree with us , that you can use THHN wire in solar circuit ?
  • niel

i'm not an expert with different wire classifications, but i don't see why it couldn't be used.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THHN
    sometimes the nec also requires the wire to be armored or waterproof so it can vary per installation and application i would suppose.
  • Batikikik

Usually NEC require RHW because it is sunlight resistant . But what I am sayingif you are runing in counduit so you dont need sunlight resistant
  • BB.

That is correct.

-Bill
  • niel

i also agree that is correct and goes to what i was saying about applications. you wouldn't use the thhn if you were in a wet area or burial now would you?