2 - 100 watt panels with a 50 watt panel

stooper2
stooper2 Solar Expert Posts: 41 ✭✭
Hello help.

Is it possible to have 2 - 100 watt panels with a 50 watt panel in the same array?

This is just a question I would like answered. There could be a 50 watt panel with a 130 watt panel etc. I don't have a make or anything but was curious as to why they shouldn't be mixed together.

Also, can someone explain to me how the amperage is rated on panels?

For example, if I have a 130 watt Kyocera panel @ 12 volts, it's rated at aprox. 8 amps while a solar World 175 watt panel @ 24 volts is rated at aprox. 5 amps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 2 - 100 watt panels with a 50 watt panel

you can mix pvs in parallel and it is best if the operating voltages are close together to minimize loses. now we are not talking about placing a 24v pv with a 12v pv as this just won't work. if you want to place pvs in series then you'd like to have the operating current ratings as close as possible.
  • stooper2

So I suspect most 12 volt panels have close to the same operating voltage - correct? If this were the case, I could mix a 130 watt panel with a 50 watt panel if they were paralleled and not have an issue. The only issue would be if they were to be put in series?

I understand not to mis a 12 and 24 panel.

Here's another question.

If I had 6 - 50 watt panels in parallel with 4 - 100 watt panels, does the same principal apply?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    stooper2 wrote: »
    I suspect most 12 volt panels have close to the same operating voltage - correct?
    =====================================
    Not necessarily.
    Some "self regulating" 12 volt PV's output much lower voltage than standard PV's and should not be mixed together.
    Best to check in full sun with a good meter, then you'll know what you're dealing with. Wouldn't it be an easy and simpler world if things were standardized?
    Wayne
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

wayne brings up a good point and is another exception to my approving of the mix. it would have been too low of voltage anyway with those types of pvs regardless if paralleled with the norm used today. most pvs today have 36 cells for every 12v of operation type and often list out at vmps around 17v or so. the type wayne refers to have lesser numbers of cells and were to try and eliminate the need for a controller with little success due to such factors like temperature variations. the voltages on those pvs are significantly lower in comparison. they could be on the order of 14v to 16v.
    the variations you may see could look like 17.1v paralleled with 17.4v and not something like 17v and 15v or 17v and 24v(some pvs have an odd vmp like 24v and are primarilly meant for grid tie applications). this holds true no matter the number of pvs involved or their wattage when being paralleled.
  • stooper2

Thanks for the reply guys - much appreciated.