PV credit question

Options
Hairfarm
Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
Greetings,

I'd like to take advantage of the PV credit in California. Unfortunately, this credit is only offered to on-gridders. Have any off-grid folks on this forum been able to get a PV credit using "creative" means?

What about having a on-grid buddy order them for me? Are there any PV credits for those of us operating off the grid?

I'm getting ready to order some panels and am looking for the best deal I can find.

thanks!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: PV credit question

In California--they seem to be getting smarter about the rebates... For larger systems, they actually have to phone home with daily production numbers for something like 5+ years.

At this point, you may just have to be happy with the 30% federal tax credits.

Depending on where you live--it looks like the current rebates (paid for by the major utility customers--that is why off-grid does not qualify) may be in the $0.35-$1.50 or so per Watt...

May not be worth trying to figure out a legal way around the rules anyway.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

As BB posted the Calif credits are being paid by the participating Elect companies. Even to apply you have to give them your account number, meter serial number etc, and have either a listed installer do the work and sign it off or if you do it after Utility company approves your Net-metering and sets a bi-directional power meter, you then submit paperwork to the utility and they will come and do a performance inspection to make sure that all items meets with wat was submittedd as far as panels, inverter, tilt, azimuth, and output based on temp and solar radiance at the time of inspection. If that all match's against what was submitted for system they approve the rebate. They physically inspect the installation. You just can't have someone buy your equipment and then install at a different location.

I am in the final step (applying for CSI Rebate) and have not seen where the system could be circumvented. Also, to get net-metereing at least from PG&E you need to have a final inspected building permit from your local Town, county etc.

You still can get the 30% Federal Tax Credit for your system.

Good Luck with your system and keep us posted on your progress. I sure enjoy seeing the power that comes from my system.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Hairfarm
    Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the thorough info guys.
    You still can get the 30% Federal Tax Credit for your system

Really? I thought one had to have a grid tied system to qualify for any credit at all. So I can still get a 30% credit for an off grid system? Can you point me to a link for more information?

thanks!

Hairfarm
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

IRS Form 5695 for Fed Tax Credit. System and installation costs. Does not specify Grid tie only. Can find a copy of the form from Host's home page in .pdf. Cover's Solar, Solar Hot water, Wind etc. You can carry over the credit if you can't get it all back in a single year due to your tax-status.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!