Sunforce Inverters. Opinions, Quality Comments???

retrodog
retrodog Solar Expert Posts: 53 ✭✭
I realize they probably aren't the best but I found a pretty good deal on a Sunforce 4500W Pure Sine Wave inverter. Not sure I'm really going to get it yet since it's just a 12V model, but I was wondering what kind of reputation they had.

http://www.sunforceproducts.com/product_details.php?PRODUCT_ID=124

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Sunforce Inverters. Opinions, Quality Comments???

There is nothing about input current requirement for a 9000 watt surge:
    • 9000 watts * 1/11 volts cutoff * 1/0.85 est eff = 963 amps
    Other reviews for Sunforce inverters (Amazon 1,000 watt and such) seem to indicate it works for the money--noisy on some audio equipment.

Also, only 15 amp 120 VAC plugs (seem to be two plugs per ~15 amp fuse?). I did not see anyway to tie into a single higher amperage outlet/hardwire without taking it apart.

I guess is looks functional (excluding the very high input current of 450+ amps at 12 volts)... If you don't need a single, large, high current circuit and you still need 12 volts--I would look at getting 3x 1,800 watt inverters instead to make cabling/DC connections easier.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    retrodog wrote: »
    I realize they probably aren't the best but I found a pretty good deal on a Sunforce 4500W Pure Sine Wave inverter. Not sure I'm really going to get it yet since it's just a 12V model, but I was wondering what kind of reputation they had.

http://www.sunforceproducts.com/product_details.php?PRODUCT_ID=124

Their kit is okay for light duty, camp-ground, tool shed, etc. use.

It isn't so good for anything heavier.

And where are you and your electric scooter? I have a Vectrix I'm about to take out for a spin -- loads of fun, and goes plenty fast enough for the highway. =And= runs off of sunshine :)
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Let's adopt a new rule of thumb for inverters:

Rated Wattage / nominal system Voltage > 200 = bad design.

I'm only jesting a little.
  • retrodog
    retrodog Solar Expert Posts: 53 ✭✭
    tallgirl wrote: »
    Their kit is okay for light duty, camp-ground, tool shed, etc. use.

It isn't so good for anything heavier.

And where are you and your electric scooter? I have a Vectrix I'm about to take out for a spin -- loads of fun, and goes plenty fast enough for the highway. =And= runs off of sunshine :)

Friendswood TX. I'm about halfway between Houston and Galveston.

I came out to Austin to test drive the Vectrix at Alien Scooter back in 2008, but the Vectrix sales guy was mysteriously "out of town" on that day. I finally got them to let me take one for a drive... beyond the parking lot. By the time I decided to buy one, the local motorcycle dealership in Houston (Stubb's) was carrying them. So I bought it there. I drive it all over the place. But not too far, of course.
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    retrodog wrote: »
    Friendswood TX. I'm about halfway between Houston and Galveston.

I came out to Austin to test drive the Vectrix at Alien Scooter back in 2008, but the Vectrix sales guy was mysteriously "out of town" on that day. I finally got them to let me take one for a drive... beyond the parking lot. By the time I decided to buy one, the local motorcycle dealership in Houston (Stubb's) was carrying them. So I bought it there. I drive it all over the place. But not too far, of course.

That translates to about 6 or 8 days, unless I sleep while recharging -- and then I should be able to make it in 2!

Yesterday was a fun day -- I needed to have a custom-made NiMH battery pack made that "looked" more like a FLA battery than an NiMH one. The guy at the place said it would take an hour, so I grabbed a bite to eat. After eating, I went straight home, completely forgetting the batteries! It's a 10 mile round trip, and I was down to about 6 or 7 bars (you'd understand if you owned a Vectrix -- let's just say "a third of a tank or less"). I beat it back to the battery place at close to full throttle, then VERY CAREFULLY road home on back streets. The last mile was very painful, ending with "buSULt".

Been too busy with business (now was comment here necessary tg?) to recharge the bike today, but I'm gonna before the sun goes down.

Anne at Alien is good people, but she had so many people who wanted to "test drive" but not actually buy that she tightened up a lot on the "test drives".