Submersible Pump Longevity

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
How long (years or hours) should a submersible pump last? My first was a Grundfos and it only lasted 4 years (running about 3 to 4 hours per day). How about Lorentz, Sun, ShurFlo, Dankoff, Conenergy, or??

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Submersible Pump Longevity

In my experience, pump longevity is directly related to how much grit you have in your water. (among other things, like hours, start/stop cycles) Add a bunch of grit and the bearings and pump seals in a submersible get eaten in a hurry.

Tony
  • Wilis
    Wilis Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe AC pumps last longer? I have a 240v AC pump, that the well man set at 220 ft. It was installed in 1994. We can have cloudy water, from clay if I water the garden to long, so I would think that wouldnt be good for the bearings. My well man told me he had pumps last 35 years. Lighting is the largest problem. Have thought of a DC pump to fill a tank and then run the pressure pump, but cant spend the money when my system works as well as it does. I dont know what brand he used but talked to him a few weeks ago and was told he cant get the pump any more. He replaced a pump for a neighbor and said he didnt know how long the new pumps will last. Hasnt used them long enough to know. Wilis
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

It's like Tony says; how much use and the quality of the water going through it are the big factors.
    The quality of the pump is another. There are cheap pumps, and their are good pumps. Some have plastic housings and some have stainless steel. Some have well-designed motors, and some don't. Some have exaggerated performance claims. And sometimes the installer puts the wrong pump in, it has to work too hard (although technically within its capacity) and it will give up too soon.