12V Battery Damaged?

Options
Jakachira
Jakachira Solar Expert Posts: 47 ✭✭
Hi, everybody. I'm from Southern Hemisphere :-)

I have a naughty young brother at home so he doesn't like the regulator (he calls it that little thing). He used to charge the two batteries directly from the solar panels. I suspect the batteries got burned or somthing.

On a DMM, the battery, in the morning before charging, say 8.3V. Thats a 12V Battery 102Ah. Do you think that my batteries are damaged - have got time to look at the other. I tried to recover it with 330Watts of Solar panel using a regulator but its winter this side, not much sunlight. My panels just put about 5amps at the noon in these dark clouds.

Do you think i will recover this battery.

Another problem, one of my 100W Panel (monocrystalline) got shattered. The glass cracked but remained intact. The cracks spreads the whole panel its now just giving out 3.6Amps in the full sun (used to give 6 Amps). At this stage, what would be the best way to keep water from entering the panel? Also I could I repair the panel? People suggest using Clear Epoxy but that would require a number of tubes. Some say Polathayne (sp) to coat the glass. Which way would you go?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: 12V Battery Damaged?

Regarding the battery--If it is nearly new--you might be able to recharge it and get reasonable life out of it. From my limited experience, any battery with 1-2+ years on it is probably pretty much destroyed (you may get it recharged, but in days or weeks, it may just simply stop supplying any useful energy). Many times, a battery when taken this low will actually begin to "reverse charge" on or two of the cells. This will kill a battery.

However, what have you got to loose. Put it on an AC powered charger and get it recharged as quick as you can (the longer it is left discharged, the more damaged it will become).

The panel--There is not much you can do. Try placing a piece of glass over the top and seal the edges with silicon type sealant. Don't spend very much money doing this. The panel may have months or so of life left before the output fails completely.

Sorry,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Jakachira
    Options

Thanks for your message. I feel so disapponted with my panel R5200 (>$520) put to waiste :-(
  • BB.
    Options

About the only other suggestion is to look at your home owners/renters insurance (claim may denied, or they raise your rates to make up for your claim).

Was the glass shattered due to rock/thrown object or possibly due to wind/improper mounting (i.e., some way to prevent damage again)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Jakachira
    Options

Wind blew it from the ground and it fell with the 'face' down. The panel suffered two point knocks, the glass cracked then gradually spread over the whole panel. The glass remains intact though. Its hard to tell if the water can get inside. I have since told him not to use it, until i got some ideas.
  • BB.
    Options

Keeping it dry will help prolong the life a bit. But just sitting in the sun (thermal cycling) is very tough on the panels too(us it and the cracks probably spread)...

Yea, we always recommend that "portable" glass solar panels always be stacked/mounted in such a way that the wind (and thieves :grr) cannot get them. The tempered glass (aka also is a form of safety glass) is strong--but once scratched or knocked--just all goes at once into little squares.

Otherwise, looking for used panels (mono/poly crystalline panels) have 20+ year life may be your best bet.

-Bill
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

take the chance and charge those batteries up as fast as you can. you will find that if it recovers that the lifespan of the batteries will have been shortened and by how much would be hard to say.

the pv is a goner as more than just glass probably cracked. the lower output may indicate the cells may have cracked too. you can try to seal it up with clear silicon rtv caulking and see how long it will last for.

sorry this all happened to you. with the price of this stuff and your disappointment with the troubles they were presented to you, you may wish to take more and better precautions in the future.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

8.3V on a 12V battery, is about 150% discharged. You need to charge it as soon a possible, by whatever means.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Jakachira
    Options

Just to let others know what i'm thinking about my broken 100watt panel.

I will shut my eyes and buy a new 80watt panel, then I will use clear glass tape to cover areas that maybe open to rain or dust on the broken panel. The panel has lost 2.5amps which is quite a lot though. I wonder if glass tape will not reduce it further.

I also thought of a clear coat on the panel.. if anyone know something I can apply as a coat on the panel, pls advise.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jakachira wrote: »
    Just to let others know what i'm thinking about my broken 100watt panel.

I will shut my eyes and buy a new 80watt panel, then I will use clear glass tape to cover areas that maybe open to rain or dust on the broken panel. The panel has lost 2.5amps which is quite a lot though. I wonder if glass tape will not reduce it further.

I also thought of a clear coat on the panel.. if anyone know something I can apply as a coat on the panel, pls advise.

forget tapes, as in the sunlight, they will go bad and then leave a nasty residue.

I'd look for a solvent based clear sealer, that will take UV light, get a teflon vacuum bag, and coat the glass, bag it, pull a vacuum to get the bubbles out, squeege excess, and let cure, and hope. You won't gain any lost power back, but you may (for spending $100 on parts) prevent or slow, further degradation.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,