battery straps-ties... for telephone batteries???

I have 24 Exide 2 volt batteries. They are 1180 amps each. They are wired as four 12 volt batteries and I need to re-configure them as two 24 volt batteries. They all hook in series with the original lead/copper ties that are about 1 inch x a foot and about an eighth of an inch thick. I need 2 more of these connecting ties. They look like the same size for many of these big heavy telephone batteries. But I can not find anyone selling them today. The outfit north of Sandpoint is not there anymore. Can anyone here tell me where I can get this?

thanks, Glenn

Comments

• 12vman
    12vman Solar Expert Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Re: battery straps-ties... for telephone batteries???

I've built some great straps with 3/8" soft copper pipe. I hammered the pipe flat and drilled holes where I needed them. If this is too small for the bolts, try 1/2"..
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

copper busses are an option be they homemade or commercially bought, but i don't know the type of connection used for that battery. it may be possible to get cables from a good automotive store or electrical supply store, but again we don't know what kind of connector is used. if you find something suitable make sure it is at least the same gage wire as the rest are using, but larger wires are a safe way to go with being more reliable in handling high currents.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Connectors for large 2V cells are usually M8 or M10 bolts. Here's a link to the Exide OPzS range:

http://www.industrialenergy.exide.com/products/range_select.asp?range=OPzS&sub_id=13&lng=en
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭

You could also go to a metal supply store and buy some copper or brass flat stock in the size you need and drill it for your application. I did that for the GNB Absolyte ll batteries that I use. Works well.
    Larry
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks for all the suggestions. The batteries have the typical square lead post for LARGE flooded lead acid storage batteries. I think it uses 1/4" stainless bolts. I guess I could either use the flattened copper pipe method or just order short 2 odd cables with ends and use 2 cables per post. The only reason I would shy away from using copper... is that it is only used with a lead covering. I wonder what corrosion happens over time? The cells have two terminals per plus or minus. Thats 4 per battery 2 volt cell.

glenn
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Use the thick wall (80) 1/2 inch copper pipe. After flattening (good vice helps for the thick wall copper pipe), flux and tin with solder.