iota transfer switch and ground

Options
bobdog
bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
I am looking into buying an automatic transfer switch for my set-up. The iota ITS-30R looks pretty good and my questions has to do with the ground from the generator. I have an old Honda 2500 watt gen and the neutral is not bonded. The gen itself has a little pigtail attached that you're supposed to clip to a ground but that's it. My inverter, Suresine 300 watt, has a true ground. So, is it going to work or will the different grounds be a problem? Thoughts?

Tim

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,445 admin
    Options
    Re: iota transfer switch and ground

I think you should be fine. The SureSine inverter should not care about grounding or not of the neutral.

For the generator--is the Pig Tail the generator frame ground or the neutral bonding point?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bobdog
    bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    I think you should be fine. The SureSine inverter should not care about grounding or not of the neutral.

For the generator--is the Pig Tail the generator frame ground or the neutral bonding point?

-Bill

It's the frame ground I believe. It is a fairly skimpy wire with an alligator clip attached and it is mounted to the generator head.

Tim
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,445 admin
    Options

Unless you have some special application (telecom) or other safety related issues (lightning, other gensets in the area that may power common equipment)--I would just leave as is.

If you are going to be using power tools in the rain--an AC Ground Fault Interrupter outlet or GFI extension cord might be nice.

But here is where it is not a clear A > B choice... The SureSine (and your genset) is an isolated AC output. You cannot get shocked (or at least should not) by touching either lead and ground/earth/metal.

If you ground the neutral (earth/metal), then you can get shocked if you grab the "hot lead". Now you need a GFI to protect you against Hot to Ground/Earth contact.

Either method will give you fairly good protection against shock. If, option A (floating output)--one AC lead does get grounded (cut wire, in water--no indication of short), then you can get shocked by the other lead... So the GFI can be a nice safety / backup measure.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset