ground

Options
penrosefred
penrosefred Registered Users Posts: 7
I have a 135 watt panel on my pull camper, I built a frame from side to side to mount it on for the clearence they recommended, Do I ground the panel to the camper frame?

Fred

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: ground

For proper operation of your solar panel/charger system--it does not matter if the panel is grounded or not.

For fire safety--You can decide (but code would require proper grounding to frame ground with mounting hardware or a "green wire")... For example, if the panel glass broke or the positive wire shorted to the frame--the frame can become energized.

Once the frame is energized--it is possible (probably not likely) that ~10 amps from a short circuit would go through a poor frame to aluminum skin connection (or if they used aluminum backed insulation in the RV) to over heat and set the wood frame on fire.

So--if you are like 99% of the world out there--most people would not ground the frame.

If you are very concerned about fire and electrical safety--then the frame should be properly grounded. And if you properly ground the frame--make sure to use proper components/materials (typically stainless steel hardware with "star washers" to cut into the aluminum and tin plated copper for the electrical connections). Using standard galvanized/steel hardware will cause local corrosion and you will not have a good electrical connection over time).

--Your choice.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • penrosefred
    penrosefred Registered Users Posts: 7
    Options

Bill, Thanks very much.
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    ... use proper components/materials (typically stainless steel hardware with "star washers"...
    -Bill

I have had difficulty finding SS star washers at hardware stores.

K
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Kamala wrote: »
    I have had difficulty finding SS star washers at hardware stores.

K

Try Fastenal. They stock our parts bins at work and have almost everything.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/products/fasteners/washers/lock-washers/_/N-gj4wdhZjubuphZjuegtc&Nty=0
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex