Absolyte, stuck!

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
is there a secret hand shake, or retainer clip holding the absolyte cells in the sleeves? They have started to swell at the top from age?? Are they just stuck or is there a trick? I did remove the upper retaining bar. thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,445 admin
    Options
    Re: Absolyte, stuck!

I guess that is positive grid corrosion (is the positive post being "extruded" from the case too?).

I don't have any knowledge about how to remove the cells from their sleeves.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
    Options

That buldging is positive plate growth. You cant do anthing about that that is how the battery ages. It can grow enough to rupture teh cell casing. As to removing the cell you have to realease the pressure inside by removing the vent cap by turning it in a particular direction and removing it using a bird beak pliers. Then using a spear connection strap attact to two of the same poles and pull really hard (I use a long piece of wood as a lever). You should use a cloth strap to fish under the connection strap on the terminals and then onto the lever or a mechanica winch if it is really stuck. I have done this on countless occasions with my absolytes. I can send some pic to explain better if need be.

Good Luck
    Cheers...
    Damani
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Options

I agree with dapdan, and be carefull! once they start to move, they tend to keep moving. don't fall on your back and have a cell coming at you. no kidding, be prepared to handle the cell after it comes loose.