Question about Absolyte batteries

JT2222
JT2222 Registered Users Posts: 13
I recently tried to sell some Absolyte II batteries to the recycler & was told that they don't take them. In fact, he said I would have to pay him. What's the problem here? As far as I know, they are just gel cell, lead acids. Is there some reason the recyclers wouldn't want them?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Question about Absolyte batteries

I am not sure--but it looks like they may contain 0.2-0.3 percent Cadmium (perhaps Cadmium Sulfate as an additive to the electrolyte to improve sulfate solubility?)... Could make it very expensive to recycle / dispose of Lead ACid batteries.

They also appear to have Cadmium free versions of the batteries available (check the model number of yours?).

They may also make a Cadmium type storage battery too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Tig57
    Tig57 Registered Users Posts: 2

If anyone has a need to recycle absolyte batteries, I can help. I will even pay so much per lb.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I guess we need to be a bit more clear here...

You are looking for Absolyte Brand batteries to recycle? Or generic lead acid in general?

Are you after the "lead" for recycling, or are you looking to recycle/recondition batteries/battery components/bus bars/racks into new assemblies?

Also, I would assume that people around Dallas Texas would be more local to you?

Not a lot of people on this solar energy forum use Absolyte AGM type batteries--But if they do and need to get rid of set, I will leave your thread up here.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset