lost posting???

Options
westbranch
westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
I started a string in the last 2 weeks, I think, about fridges and Crewzer was going to do a Kill-a-watt check on his fridge... I cant seem to locate it since the change over?

thanks

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
West Chilcotin, BC, Canada

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: lost posting???

I think that the last few days of posts were not transfered over to this new board...

Did you have a specific question(s) that you wanted to discuss/answer again?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    Options

Not really specific Bill, it was about the usage that Crewzer was actually consuming vs his fridge rating.

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • westbranch
    Options

also interesting is that I have this forum and string marked for email notification on replies and have not recieved one yet???

Eric

• BB.
    Options

My "modern" fridge and freezer seem to pretty closely match the tags that came with the appliances... My freezer is probably taking a bit more power than the tag--but I have it cranked down to maximum cold--and have a timer that turns it off during peak power billing ($0.09/kWhr vs $0.29/kWhr).

When I keep the temperature warmer and did not cycle the power, it was a bit below the rating on the tag (we have mild weather here--so that keeps power usage down too).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    Options

Bill, ouch , a 20 cent differential is hard to swallow.

We here in BC have an interesting billing structure .... from what I can forsee we are headed to an independant hydro supplier structure similar to the nat gas system that has just been foisted on us recently.. the utility just delivers the (gas/ hydro) and someone else provides it into the pipeline... watch out there are sharks in them thar waters...

Basic charge is 12.130 cents usage is 6.150 cents and this month a RATE RIDER, if you can figure out what that is, at 2% of the basic plus useage rate...plus GST ( goods and services tax (federal)) for a grand total of 18.6546 cents Cdn per Kwh with no time of day rate ...as yet,

though cousins in Jolly Olde England have seen this for > 20 years now. I guess the hi/lo rate keeps peak demand down.

Enough of reasons to go solar or? , what iI am investigating is the potential consumption at our cabin in the future when we move out there full time and have to add to more than the current (small) Danby propane fridge. It works great for weekends and short weeks. rom the revious posts ans othere strings I think the way to go will be a small chest freezer and then a 110 v fridge (only) once we are living there.

Eric

• BB.
    Options

The standard electric rates here are still flat rate all year round... The Time Of Use rates are mostly for industrial and those few residential people who figure out how to make it work for them...

And if they do (like our E-7 rate is great with Solar PV Grid Tie--peak and off peak during the week, off peak only on weekends)--they prevent anyone new from signing up and create a new E-6 plan with three time periods during the week, and two time periods on the weekends (with differing starting/ending times)--then you have winter which does away with peak and.....--and it all works out that with solar PV Grid Tie, you would be better off to just go with the flat rate plan (the powers that be, did open the E-7 to new customers for about another year--so others making noise probably did help a bit).

And that above rate plan does not include there is 4 tiered pricing (the more power you use, the more the power costs--and the spread between peak and off peak closes up). There is no way that anyone can accurately predict their power bills here unless you go out daily and read the meter with these complex plans.

You can look at this E-6 Time of Use Residential link if you want to see what it looks like (and the rates)... :confused:

-Bill
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Still collecting data... will post one-week energy use results on Monday morning...

Jim / crewzer
  • westbranch
    Options

Thanks Jim,
    Bill, I see what you mean ans I only got to the 3 rd page. Plus the disclaimer about cost and obsolescence at the beginning.
    as they like to say ' we made a new, simpler plan'...

Eric

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

west..

BTW, bought a Whirlpool 120 VAC fridge/top freezer (approx 18 Cu Ft) about December of last year. It is nothing special -- no icemaker or water chiller. It was rated at 412 Kwh/yr. Has been running less than half that over the last 6 weeks. The refer temp control is set below the "Normal" setting, but there are only about 15 door-openings per day, and our hmmidity runs around 20 % or less during the day (may affect the defrost frequency) I do not know the test specs for ambient temps or for door openings/humidity, but would guess that a household with two adults and couple of kids might have 75 or so door cycles per day.

Been quite happy with this modest fridge. The model data is at the off-grid site, but probably discontinued by now. Our system does NOT run inverters in search, so cannot report on search mode compatibility.

Good Luck Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.