What should I use for PV barn lighting

Options
LucMan
LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
Can you guys help me setup lighting for my barn?
Here's what I have :motion activated 2-18 watt led solar spotlight with a 6" square solar panel from local hardware store.
It's not enough light I want to add 2-3 more 18 watt cfl's to light up the barn.
average use time 10 minutes 2-3 times per week.
I have a deep cycle 12 v trolling motor battery and an old APC computer ups (600) watt. I will wire the lights to the UPS and use the power switch on the UPS to turn the lights on and off.
I would like to keep the battery charged with a solar panel & charge controller

Lots of trees around the barn, a panel that works with ambient light would probably be best. As the barn only gets maybe 1-2 hrs of full sunlight depending on the time of year
What's the best solar panel and charge controller combination to use for this application.
thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: What should I use for PV barn lighting

My 3.5 kW array will generate about 20-50 watts when mounted in shade--So probably not very useful for your application.

Taking some guesses:
    • 3 CFL * 18 watts * 10 minutes/60 min per hour * 3 times per week / 7 days per week = 3.9 WH per day
    • 3.9 WH per day * 1/1 hour of sun per day * 1/0.30 efficiency for small system = 13 watt panel minimum
    The 0.30 (30%) end to end system efficiency is fairly conservative--but getting a 20-30 watt panel would not hurt you (allow for larger battery bank, more light at times).

You can use a very small charge controller like this one for $29 as you don't need any thing fancy:

wind-sun_2106_44182486SunGuard 4.5 amp solar charge controller

Battery wise, assuming 5% minimum charge rate and a 13 watt solar panel:
    • 13 watt * 1/0.05 * 1/14 volt charging = 19 AH battery maximum recommended size
    If yo have a 100 AH 12 volt trolling motor battery (flooded cell, not sealed/agm), you should have:
    • 100 AH * 14 volts * 0.05 = 70 watts of solar panel minimum

An AGM battery may be a better choice (for longer battery life) or a smaller flooded cell battery if you choose to stay with a smaller solar panel.

With the flooded cell battery, you can monitor the state of charge with a hydrometer and see if your smaller panel keeps up with it... Or take it in once a month (or whatever) and charge/equalize it at home as needed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

Look at 12V lighting. The ACP UPS is a MSW and some CFL's lights may not like it.
  • LucMan
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    My 3.5 kW array will generate about 20-50 watts when mounted in shade--So probably not very useful for your application.

Taking some guesses:
    • 3 CFL * 18 watts * 10 minutes/60 min per hour * 3 times per week / 7 days per week = 3.9 WH per day
    • 3.9 WH per day * 1/1 hour of sun per day * 1/0.30 efficiency for small system = 13 watt panel minimum
    The 0.30 (30%) end to end system efficiency is fairly conservative--but getting a 20-30 watt panel would not hurt you (allow for larger battery bank, more light at times).

You can use a very small charge controller like this one for $29 as you don't need any thing fancy:

wind-sun_2106_44182486SunGuard 4.5 amp solar charge controller

Battery wise, assuming 5% minimum charge rate and a 13 watt solar panel:
    • 13 watt * 1/0.05 * 1/14 volt charging = 19 AH battery maximum recommended size
    If yo have a 100 AH 12 volt trolling motor battery (flooded cell, not sealed/agm), you should have:
    • 100 AH * 14 volts * 0.05 = 70 watts of solar panel minimum

An AGM battery may be a better choice (for longer battery life) or a smaller flooded cell battery if you choose to stay with a smaller solar panel.

With the flooded cell battery, you can monitor the state of charge with a hydrometer and see if your smaller panel keeps up with it... Or take it in once a month (or whatever) and charge/equalize it at home as needed.

-Bill

Thanks Bill,
    Just placed the order for KC40 panel & sunguard with our sponsor.
    Luc
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Luc,

You are very welcome... And by the way, I would agree with n3qik and watch how your particular CFL's run on the APC...

Some will run OK, others may not start (especially at low temperatures) or may buzz/have short life.

And in cold weather with little run time, it can take several minutes for a CFL to "warm up" and generate full light.

Looking at LED lighting, or even small halogen type lighting may be a better fit.

Lastly, a 600 watt inverter may have a lot of "tare losses" (larger inverters can take quite a bit of power just to run the electronics). A smaller TSW (or MSW) inverter may also help reduce your power needs.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • nvyseal
    nvyseal Solar Expert Posts: 108 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just wondering, Is this for daytime use or night? Would skylights work if its during the day?
  • LucMan
    Options
    nvyseal wrote: »
    Just wondering, Is this for daytime use or night? Would skylights work if its during the day?

This is just a temporary solution to get some light where needed, and later to keep batteries charged.
    Both day and night, already have a window on each side of the barn. Lots of shade in the summer, so sky light will only help after leaves are off the trees or if I cut the trees down.
    The long term plan is for an additional 3.5 KW grid tie PV system for the roof.
    In the next couple of years I will cut down the trees, dig a trench to the house for power and install the PV system, plus a low temp air to water heat pump system for heating and cooling the house.
    As always the only thing holding me back is time & $ !!!!
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LucMan wrote: »
    As always the only thing holding me back is time & $ !!!!

HAHAHA :D Me too! Bags of Dirty money donations are accepted.