Transformer or Transformerless, which topology that yu will select for housing power?

Options
Jerry
Jerry Registered Users Posts: 19
As topic, I am wondering which topolgy that you will select for your house

Size range of system is from 1.5kw to 10kW, please give me your points, thanks!

In my mind, transformerless topolgy should become more puplar after 2 years or so.....

Solar edge products are all transformerless, have any one used products from team before? If yes, how is it (tranformerless system)?

Comments

• solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Transformer or Transformerless, which topology that yu will select for housing po

In general, transformers are way more reliable than the more complex, surge susceptable transformerless type. They cost more and are way more heavier as well, so most manufacturers are going for the less designs. Very little difference in the efficiency dept. The next generation designs like Solar Edge all seem to be going transformerless.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: Transformer or Transformerless, which topology that yu will select for housing po

Depends on your location as well, like the last poster mentioned the transformer topology tend to be more reliable as they are simpler designs and therefore have fewer parts that could fail.
  • Jerry
    Jerry Registered Users Posts: 19
    Options
    solarFTW wrote: »
    Depends on your location as well, like the last poster mentioned the transformer topology tend to be more reliable as they are simpler designs and therefore have fewer parts that could fail.

SMA is not longer to make a direction to lead inverter market....
    But it seem there is light of TL inverters on US market......

However, I knew TL inverters were not selling good in California ( I had been studying CSI database in past 2 weeks, only few capacities were belong with Power One, completed and registered included). Therefore, it is really interesting to know how is sale going with solar edge products after they made the launch.

Therefore I am wondering, how is acceptance of consumer to TL products as experienceless application of current market!?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

I am not sure a consumer would know the difference between a transformer vs tranformerless system...

So, it becomes either a marketing bullet point (Brand XYZ has a transformer and is more rugged/less susceptible to common mode surge, isolation between grid and the solar array, etc..).

Vs ACME has no transformers, is lighter weight, cost savings, saving the environment (less copper/iron), Isolation is not of any value (lightning will flash over barrier, solar panel voltage is probably higher than line voltage, super electronics shutdown if any problem as tested by UL/NRTL... Etc...).

What would you tell your customers/marketing department to sell TL based systems?

In the end... How much does it cost, how long is the guarantee, how long will it last, how efficient, what do I do to get it repaired if it does fail. And, how does it log data (both for local use, and larger systems in California require remote monitoring for state rebates--i.e., is it qualified for California's metering laws).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset