Serious Question for Solar Panel Hunt

Options
ArmyVet
ArmyVet Banned Posts: 20
I am new here, I am trying to find a place where they might
Donate a Solar Panel or Panels , I am new at the Solar Start up.
I really cant afford to go out and buy Panels because my
Monthly VA check wouldnt cover 1 panel let alone a big set -up
I do have several things already like the Batteries. Which I was able to get from a company that was replacing ther Old UPS systems, And what was funny
they had bought all new batteries for ther equipemnt , and they wasnt even a month Old. They gave it all to me free for hauling away . Added all up almost 2000 Amp Hrs ! I have a power Inverter which is
1000 watts which for me is enough, I just need a Charge Controller and
Solar panels. Any Idea's Guys. It would be a great help.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Serious Question for Solar Panel Hunt

The question you need to answer for us is: What are you trying to achieve?
    If it's a reduction in utility bills, spending your money/efforts on conservation will net you more.
    If you're looking for off-grid power for camping or black-out back-up generators are cheaper than solar.
    Totally off-grid full time with no utility power in sight; solar becomes a viable power source.
    If you're experimenting with solar for learning purposes, you've already learned the #1 lesson: it's expensive.

Sorry I know of no agencies donating panels for any reason. Perhaps it is different in the US.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

armyvet,
    if somebody out there is willing to part with something for you that would be nice, but you will need at least 100a at 12v (assuming each battery was 12v) from the pvs to minimally charge them and i don't think you'll come up with that much in free pv if any at all. i suggest you buy a utility type charger to charge them with that has multistage charging ability in the 100-200a range asap to keep those batteries with a charge or risk losing them through self-discharge and deficit charging with deficit charging the result of too low of a charging source that a small number of pv watts would cause.
    now to not use the batteries and keep a smaller maintenance charge would afford about a 1-2% charge rate allowing you to put 20-40a to prevent the batteries from going bad. the lower 1% would be more for the better agm style battery, but some fla types may be happy with it that low.
  • ArmyVet
    Options

The amount of Solar charging doesnt really Matter to me , I can off load the amount of batteries to charge. I ended up with 60 in total 34 Ahr Sealed lead acid batteries.
    So I can dump charge 5 - 10 at a time if that what it takes. I actually found a Sealed , Lead acid charger at a flea market last year that test and make sure batteries okay for $15 last year. And have checked all in good. even though 4- 5 are in question.
    I also have aquired a small 300 watt power inverter I found in a yard sale today for $5 yippy ! Brand New still in box . But I want to use this set -up for is mainly use around my house to help lower power bills.So 1000 Watt and 300 watt inverter is in play also.
    I am on a great track for a good Solar system. Just need to find Panels.
    Or even a company that might help a person out trying to conserve.
    I also have saved all wire from Old UPS's I scavaged So I have plenty of 4 ga and 8ga and 50-100 connecters and fuses.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i can sympathize with you on your pv efforts, but there are many of us in that same category of not being able to afford much.
    as to conservation efforts, you don't need solar to do that as that is the cutting back of usage by either better practices or more efficient use of it. we all nearly agree that conservation is first on the list.
  • ArmyVet
    Options

I already conserve to the point where I live in Darkness basically.
    The only things in my home that run alot is Refrigerator and My 5000 Btu room Air conditioner. I wanted to be able to off load some other things like Window fans
    and other lights I use at night. Basically during the day I dont use alot.
    But at night I do because of outside lights, which is about 200 watts total .
    Which I thought the 300 watt inverter would be perfect for. And I am on my Computer at night also. In which the 1000 watt inverter I have is Pure Sine wave.
    I found a real good deal at an Auction for $35 IE normal cost was around $495 some business was going out of business and I had to bid since those are very expensive. Plus where I live
    even though we use about 800 KWH an month in power. My bill still is $125.
    Our power company screws us hard. Before the changes my bill was like $60- 70
    Then this new company bought the old one out and we get screwed over.
    The bill basically almost doubled ! So what gives huh.
  • Row1
    Row1 Registered Users Posts: 10
    Options

How to get panels for free? One wild guess: there is a group called "freecycle." If they have a group in your area, this might help. google "freecycle."

Basically, people sign up to give and take things for free, rather than throw whatever into the trash. It is local pick-up, per arrangement between the giver and potential taker.

To begin, you have to give away a few things before you start taking. This makes it equitable: not all "takers."

You might give away clothing, a few of those batteries, houseware stuff, or other things you might have.

Then, you might keep putting notes on this list asking of people have solar panels but have given up on trying to use them, or have panels they no longer use.

There might be people out there who bought panels, but are not as much "into" it as you, but they might want the panel to go to some "good."
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    ArmyVet wrote: »
    I already conserve to the point where I live in Darkness basically.

You should not need to be in the dark... A few CFL twisty bulbs make good area lights (but poor reading/spot lamps). A small Halogen desk lamp (25 watt or so) is good for those tasks.

And keeping electrical power use down in the home (lighting, computers, TV, etc.) is a good way to save an A/C costs too... You don't pay for the power to "heat" your home, and pay again to move the "heat" outside.

Conservation wise--there should be some programs out there. Attic insulation (lots of it). And, if you have single pane windows--at least changing out a couple to double pane vinyl windows in the rooms you spend the most time can be a help too.
    The only things in my home that run alot is Refrigerator
    If you can justify it... get a kill-a-watt meter. Great for any 120 VAC 15 amp plug-in appliances and other devices. You will probably find some place to save power there (older/broken/dust blocked fridge, older TVs, desktop computers, DVRs, Digital Cable Boxes, etc. all take a lot of power--and many of them take a lot when "off"/standby--adding a outlet strip with switch can save a fair amount of power in some cases).
    ...and My 5000 Btu room Air conditioner. I wanted to be able to off load some other things like Window fans
    If you really need A/C for your climate--take a look at the Sanyo and Fujistu (and other) Mini-Split A/C systems... They run about 1/2 the energy vs a standard window A/C unit. Certainly will cost a lot more than a Window A/C system--but if you use a lot of cooling--can be a nice way to save energy.

Sanyo mini split AC (inverter/variable speed)
    More panels & window AC or efficient mini split AC?
    smallest, most efficient A/C ?
    sanyo HIT output (oh yea baby)
    and other lights I use at night. Basically during the day I dont use a lot.
    But at night I do because of outside lights, which is about 200 watts total
    Outside lights... See if you can install motion detector type lights... Will save on energy (only one when motion is detected) and will probably be better security (people don't like to sneak around and have lights pop on--plus a well lit yard allows thieves to better plan their heist).
    Which I thought the 300 watt inverter would be perfect for. And I am on my Computer at night also. In which the 1000 watt inverter I have is Pure Sine wave.
    Assuming you have grid power--An off-grid capable system (solar panels + batteries + inverters) will just not save you any money. If you have to buy the batteries and hardware, it could cost you upwards of $0.45 per kWhr--probably several times what you are paying now for power.

Granted, if you get stuff "for free"--there is no up front costs--However, for a off-grid system to offset an economically significant amount of power (100's to 1,000's of kWHrs per month)--they are still big systems that require a lot of work to install an maintain.

Assuming you are somewhere in West Virgina (near Huntington), you would need on the order of 10,000 watts of solar array for an off-grid system to generate ~730 kWHrs per month of useful energy.... That is no small system.
    I found a real good deal at an Auction for $35 IE normal cost was around $495 some business was going out of business and I had to bid since those are very expensive. Plus where I live even though we use about 800 KWH an month in power. My bill still is $125.
    Our power company screws us hard. Before the changes my bill was like $60- 70
    Then this new company bought the old one out and we get screwed over.
    The bill basically almost doubled ! So what gives huh.
    I understand you issues with what the power company is charging you... I am out of northern California, and our power for >1,000 kWHr per month can run in the $0.44 to $0.60 per kWhr range...

Your bill is in the $0.16 per kWhr price range--For us on the "coasts"--that is actually a pretty low power rate. And, if the powers that be get their way, you are probably going to hit $0.20-$0.35 per kWHr in the next few years (+/- depending on politicians).

So--In my humble opinion--You are correct to look very closely at your power bill--but instead, focus on conservation (ceiling insulation, double pane windows, wall insulation, weather stripping, power use by each device in your home, and mini-split A/C systems).

At least you may find some help with insulation in your region. Here is a federal website that lists many of the programs out there by state:

www.dsireusa.org

I hope that this helps.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • cfcw
    cfcw Solar Expert Posts: 25
    Options

What if you sold half your batteries through a place like craigs list? You would probably get at least $500- enough for a Kyocera 135W and charge controller

Just a thought from another new guy :D
  • ArmyVet
    Options

Well I took some of your advise guys. I ended up selling some of the Batteries.
    In fact what was amazing was I sold them to a Recycling business.
    I made about $ 300 which was enough to make an investment.
    Here's where my back ground Degree in Electronics from Vocational school kicks in.
    I ordered 36 5 X 5 - 0.5 Volt 5.3 amp Solar cells from fred480v on ebay.
    Total purchase was $90 The math figures roughly a 90 watt solar panel.
    So I will have to make that soon as i get them.
    Plus I ordered a Better Solar charger because the one had was only rated for 7 amp.
    So I ordered an 10 amp model for around $ 40. And bought some extras and some too. Now I have 35 batts left 34 AH each. Most likely wont be able to keep them all fully charged. But Since search ebay, I might be able to get 1 more set of 36 and make another 90 watt panel :) for 180 watts and just step up to a charger that can do 2 banks at once. I have 3 old auto's i can take to the crusher,,,So there probably about $ 1000 of money I can use, Or use some . Probably wont use more
    than $ 500. Bills has to come first lol. I will send updates in future.
    And thanks for the Idea's