Need Wiring diagram

Wilis
Wilis Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭✭✭
Last month I installed a Xantrex system in Nicaragua. This was my first experience with Xantrex equipment and my 2nd solar install. I was pleased with the detail information provided by Xantrex. All of my electrical needs is provided by the solar system. We are running a small radio station. Soon the rainy season will start and I may need some generator backup. Everything is working at this time except I need information on how to install the XW Automatic generator start. The problem is not with the Xantrex equipment but with how to hook up the generator wiring to the XW wiring harness. The generator is 20 PMY open 4V88 (Mara) Norpro 20PMY generator set-4TNV88 Norpro Spec. It is equipped with a Digitec 300 control panel. I have looked on the Norpro web site and did fine the generator. I can not download the wiring diagram for this equipment from their web site.
Questions
1. Does anyone have this generator and have the wiring diagram?
2. Any general information about connecting generators to inverters would be helpful. This is my first install of auto start. I have a 30 foot #6 wire running from the generator room to the inverter. I was planning to install a 60 amp circuit breaker between the generator and the inverter.
3. Which generator type, from the fourteen listed by Xantrex, will I need to use for this generator?
Thanks again to all the help this forum provides. Wilis

Comments

• Wilis
    Re: Need Wiring diagram

I guess I ask the wrong questions. Not one answer. Maybe this was a topic for a generator forum and not a solar. I was hoping someone had this working with a generator.
    Well, I have been able to find additional information and now this question is maybe a little more on a solar topic or at least on the XW Automatic Generator Start panel.
    I called Norpro and they sent me the manual for the Dynagen GSC300 auto start engine controller. I was told by their tech support person that the best way to do what I wanted to do is just provide a +12v 7ma signal to their pin 19 on the GSC300 panel. Any time it is high the generator would start and when it dropped it would stop. That sounds simple.:D
    I guess I could use the aux from the Xantrex CC and not even use the XW AGS panel? What I want to do is use the gen input to theXW-6048 inverter and if I did use the XW AGS panel I would have many options like run the gen every so many days etc.

So if anyone is running a Xantrex XW 6048 inverter with the XW AGS panel I sure would like input from you. Seeing I have two digital controllers, the Gynagen and the XW AGS, I want to be able to use the best of both if possible. Please any thoughts or web address to go to now to get this information. Norpro knows nothing about Xantrex and I don’t know who to talk to at Xantrex. Thanks for any help before I get it. Wilis
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're seeing your message, but I've no experience with auto start gensets.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    I called Norpro and they sent me the manual for the Dynagen GSC300 auto start engine controller. I was told by their tech support person that the best way to do what I wanted to do is just provide a +12v 7ma signal to their pin 19 on the GSC300 panel. Any time it is high the generator would start and when it dropped it would stop. That sounds simple.:D
    I guess I could use the aux from the Xantrex CC and not even use the XW AGS panel? What I want to do is use the gen input to theXW-6048 inverter and if I did use the XW AGS panel I would have many options like run the gen every so many days etc.

Willis,

This part indicates the generator's external control is a type of a so-called "two-wire" type:
    ...just provide a +12v 7ma signal to their pin 19 on the GSC300 panel. Any time it is high the generator would start and when it dropped it would stop.
    Check the XW AGS owner manual's instructions for using a "Type 14" configuration (page 2-23). You'll need to connect pin 16 to an external 12 V source (the generator's starting battery, perhaps?).

In case you don't have it, here's a link to the AGS manual: http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/248/p/docs/pt/23/product.asp

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • Wilis

Thank you Crewzer. I will be going to Nicaragua in June and try using Zantrex type 14 with the Digitec panel. My goal is to run with just one control panel. It looks like I should be able to remove the Digitec 300 control panel and run from the Zantrex XW AGS panel alone. This is the first time installing an auto start gen, so will have to study into this. My problem is first understanding how an auto start works before I can do the install. I was hoping someone on the forum had already been through this process and could give me some advice. Like most project I get involved in I was not the one that installed the gen originally(three years ago). From what I can understand the Digitec panel was configured at the factory and just plugged in at the installation. I have found how to read the values on the Digitec panel, so that should help. It is a problem when the project is in the jungles of Nicaragua and it takes 3 days just to get to the sight to work on the equipment. If I let any smoke out it creates a major problem to get new parts. This is what makes projects like this fun. Wilis