Voltage transformer

JESSICA
JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
Does anyone here know of a not-so-expensive gadget capable of transforming 110 AC volts into 120/125 volts?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Voltage transformer

Look for an "Auto Wound Transformer" (these are usually inexpensive, non-isolated, transformers)--Your local electrical supply company should have some.

They also appear to be called Buck/Boost Transformers too...

Look for a 208:230 VAC transformer (these are relatively common in our area--Typically single phase power is 120:240 VAC and three phase power is 208 VAC--hence the occasional need for voltage conversion)... That will boost 110 VAC to 121 VAC. You can use them 2xx transformer on 1xx voltage as long as you don't exceed current limits.

These guys should not be that expensive--Of course, it depends on your current/power needs.

You can also look for a used (or new) Variac (or variable auto transformer)... They are variable transformers and are frequently found in electronic scrap yards and can adjust from 0 to (typically) over input voltage.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

There really shouldn't be any need to do this, as 110 VAC is within the "normal range" for household Voltage and therefor msot anything that plugs into a wall outlet should run on it. In fact, 110 used to be standard household Voltage (110/220). That said, there are times/devices when that extra 10 Volts is needed.

What you need is an "autotransformer". We used to call them Variacs - I think Variac is a proprietary brand name.

Yep: Google is our friend! http://www.variac.com/ :D
  • Cariboocoot

Bill, you're just too fast for me! :p
    I'll go crawl back in to my grave now. :roll:
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
    There really shouldn't be any need to do this, as 110 VAC is within the "normal range" for household Voltage and therefor msot anything that plugs into a wall outlet should run on it. In fact, 110 used to be standard household Voltage (110/220). That said, there are times/devices when that extra 10 Volts is needed.

What you need is an "autotransformer". We used to call them Variacs - I think Variac is a proprietary brand name.

Yep: Google is our friend! http://www.variac.com/ :D

Thanks again for the advise.

Cariboocoot: I think there is, indeed, a need to do this. My new (and mediocre) inverter (Go Power sw 2000) produces only 109.6 volts (before loads) and my microwave oven and some other appliances just don't work as they should, nor as they work when connected to the grid (125 volts). Hence, 10 or 15 volts do make a difference.
  • BB.
    Bill, you're just too fast for me! :p
    I'll go crawl back in to my grave now. :roll:

Hmmm---why am I thinking of lightning and various high voltage equipment--and Frankenstein's monster.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.

Be a bit careful if this is a MSW type Inverter... Depending on the meter, a "simple" DVM may read low--Where as a true RMS reading meter will "read" normal.

In any case, an MSW wave form does have lower peak voltages than a TSW would (both reading the same RMS value-- Root Mean Square).

And, because a MSW wave form has lots more harmonics--you will need to ensure you don't under size the transformer.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    JESSICA wrote: »
    Thanks again for the advise.

Cariboocoot: I think there is, indeed, a need to do this. My new (and mediocre) inverter (Go Power sw 2000) produces only 109.6 volts (before loads) and my microwave oven and some other appliances just don't work as they should, nor as they work when connected to the grid (125 volts). Hence, 10 or 15 volts do make a difference.

I suspect that 109 Volts is sinking even lower under the load. Then you're really in the realm of insufficient Voltage. Believe it or not, back in the day sometimes household Voltage was "acceptable" at 105! But it would have maintained that 105 when drawn on.

Maybe it's time for a new inverter?
  • Cariboocoot

Bill; the GoPower SW 2000 is supposed to be sine wave. Why it's not putting out a respectable Voltage is another question. I wonder if it's got enough input Voltage or maybe it's just failing?

On the other thing, you're thinking of a Tesla coil not an autotransformer! :p
    (To those who don't get the joke; Tesla coils were used to make the 'lightning' and other high-Voltage special effects in sci-fi movies.)