Panel frame

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Is it OK to use aluminum to frame panels? Most I have read is they make them out of wood.

Thanx

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Panel frame

I guess you are talking about "home made / DIY" solar panels?

Factory panels are framed in aluminum and "fire rated" materials (Tedlar, EVA, tempered glass) to reduce the chance of fire.

In general, when looking for "compatible materials"... Avoid Aluminum rails and steel screws (corrosion).

Many folks use plywood+wood frames with plastic panels for home made panels. Sealing out water is difficult, and differential expansion can cause electrical connections to over heat / fail).

Painting / sealing surfaces, avoiding use of pressure treated lumber (unless you use PT rated fastening hardware--standard deck hardware can rust/fail because of the metals in PT lumber).

In the end, please install the panels over a non-flammable surface in case something goes wrong.

Here is a thread with a bit more about DIY Solar Panels and some reading recommendations.

We have had a few discussions here--but DIY solar PV panels is not our strong point.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

and pressure treated wood doesnt like aluminum. I did not know about the steel screws!
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

unless they are stainless steel as that is usually alright to use.

as far as the aluminum pvs are concerned, use them being commercially made instead of wood diy as you'll be happier with the long term results and may avert a fire too.