Brown out, what happens?

Options
solar_dave
solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
What happens to a Grid tie inverter during a brown out? Since this is hard on lots of devices, would be interesting to know if the Utility drops the voltage.

Does it follow the grid voltage or is there some lower limit it tries to hold?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Brown out, what happens?

A Grid Tied inverter will limit output current and power so that is does not damage itself.

Plus, they will measure the incoming voltage and line frequency. If they are out of specification, it will turn off its output and wait 5 minutes before attempting to reconnect (part of UL safety requirements. For example, the Xantrex XW GT inverter's GT AC voltage limits (PDF Spec. Sheet):
    L-N: 108 - 130 +/- 1.5 Vac; L-L: 214 - 260 +/- 3.0 Vac

The GT inverter will not really impact the brownout on your home by more that a few volts... If you see a brownout occur--The GT Inverter will most likely have already shutdown for safety.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks BB I suspected as much, the operating voltage range on this PVP5200 is 211-264, I guess the power company would have to brown it pretty hard to keep this one from running.

product pdf
  • tampasolar
    tampasolar Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Options

If you end up in a part of the country that has forced brown outs, you will be able to change the voltage window on the existing inverter. Many inverters give you this control with the addition of a control panel. Others may require a pass code from the manufacturer to change grid tie parameters.

Nobody should be off-grid-tie just because of brown outs.
    hybrid: xw6848 pro with two mppt60, 6 kw pv
    17 cell 280ah LiFePO4 storage  14 kw
    gridtie: sunny boy sma 2x 5k
    gridtie: fronius ag5100 5k
    Gateway / Insight Local
    xw4548 backup
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i have the remote for my mms1012 and i have it set for the highest ac point it allows before switching over to inverting. 100vac. it will also allow me to go as low as 60vac all in 5vac increments.
  • tampasolar
    tampasolar Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Options

I guess a good parallel is this:

On the solar panel side you have mppt that adjusts to voltage and energy fluctuations. On the grid side the electronics in the inverter is designed to force current into a sizable range of ac line voltages too.
    hybrid: xw6848 pro with two mppt60, 6 kw pv
    17 cell 280ah LiFePO4 storage  14 kw
    gridtie: sunny boy sma 2x 5k
    gridtie: fronius ag5100 5k
    Gateway / Insight Local
    xw4548 backup
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I tested my cheap inverters down to 90vac through a varrac.
    They just put out more power, since they were connected to batteries for testing.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oil pan 4 wrote: »
    I tested my cheap inverters down to 90vac through a varrac.
    They just put out more power, since they were connected to batteries for testing.

i'm not so sure you are understanding what it is we are talking about. when grid power dips in voltage creating a brown out my inverter can automatically switch on by how low that voltage is to take over where the grid has failed. it has nothing to do with lowering the output voltage of an inverter or creating a brown out from your inverter. if you have that occurring from an inverter you need another inverter.